Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New kind of machine!
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New kind of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 8 first page previous page
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 8:04am
Subject: Re: New kind of machine!

barkingburro Said:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Posted September 21, 2013 link

So true . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 11:08am

jpender Said:

I've seen mention of an initial steaming of the grounds but I think you're wrong to assume that means the temperature is 212F.

Posted September 20, 2013 link

jbviau Said:

FWIW I asked via Twitter and got this response: https://twitter.com/iCoffee/status/361951647733264384

@jbviau: "Curious: is the "steam" used by your brewer literally steam, i.e. water heated past the boiling point?"
@iCoffee: "You betcha, Joshua! The grounds are steamed and then tumbled. #NoFakeSteam"

That doesn't answer the question about temperature.
rmongiovi

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 1:45pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

More on the steaming process:  Here is a long interview with the CEO of iCoffee where he talks about it steaming coffee grounds causing them to "puff up like rice being steamed" and additionally causing the "bean to fracture".

We advise folks that the most important thing they can get to improve that quality of their coffee is a good burr grinder.  This is because uniform grind size, which is not attainable with a blade grinder, makes it impossible to control the extraction process.

If indeed the steaming process can create puffed coffee and/or fracture the grounds into smaller pieces, it seems to me that would defeat the whole "uniform grind size" goal of a quality grinder.
scarrz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 6:00pm

Tried out get icoffee machine and after testing it against my technivorm it's going back to Bloomingdales. The coffee made from it is not bad but I certainly did not think it trumps my technivorm in taste especially if I stir my coffee inside the basket of the Tech.

A couple notes.  

1. The gold tone filter also includes the clear plastic window which is made a part of it. My concern is if the filter rips then I'm sure it would be costly to replace. The clear window is cool in theory but to be honest you can't see anything once it starts. There's a little bulb lite but it gets quickly overtaken once the grinds start swirling.

2. The coffee after sitting for a few on the warmer tasted somewhat burned. Probably not that uncommon with a warming plate but I have a stainless carafe for the technivorm and haven't noticed this before.

3.  Water remains inside the basket that holds the gold tone filter. Small puddle every time.

4.  A little hard to get the grinds off the gold tone filter, especially after being used to just dumping a cone filter into the trash.

5.  Brew time is definitely longer.

6. The music did not bother me, but I also did not have it for that long for it to get on my nerves. Also no option that I saw to disable.

The taste is smooth definitely not bitter but also lacking IMO. I guess after having tried both I do enjoy some of the nuances the technivorm provides.  I did use the same coffee and grind to do a side by side comparison. I use a Baratza Preciso.

I was initially going to get a bunn trifecta mb but was a little concerned with the price and thought why not try the icoffee. I can at least say I tried it and can move on. If the Trifecta ever lowers some in price I may give it a try but until then I'll keep enjoying my old faithful Technivorm.
showing page 8 of 8 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New kind of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299165010452)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+