Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive drip machine . . . any advice?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I'm looking for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 7:17pm
Subject: Re: I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive drip machine . . . any advice?

Since the topic is drip machine - Black and Decker - no laughing :). I sh** you not I have a $20 black and decker drip maker we take on road trips with us for the hotel rooms. Great coffee, ground fresh in a good grinder and that dumb black and decker makes a very respectable drip brew. I think the brew temp is the deal the hot plate keeps it hot.

At home if it ain't the Duetto it is pressed. There is a Moka pot in there some place that has not seen the light of day for years.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 4:51pm
Subject: Re: I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive drip machine . . . any advice?

jwoodyu....  Wow, Black & Decker---I've read somewhere on here of someone who said their B&D brewer had a decent brew temp, was that you maybe? What model do you have for travel?  That would be great for when I stay with my grandson (I'd only need to take my grinder).  My daughter & SIL have a Keurig type setup---YUK, so I take my stuff with me.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 4:50am

I picked up a $20 B&D Basic model.  I think it's the same one.. Does make a good brew. It surprised me.  I picked it up for free from a neighbor. It's used as an office back up in case our Curtis Cafe ever goes down.  I hate the hot plate tho.. I have a thermal carafe that I transfer it to right away.  Also got free from a neighbor. :D
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 5:56am

Happy endings :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LindaWhitenton

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 2:50am

I'll start by apologizing because I'm a mod on a pet forum and we hate when the newbies ask standard, basic questions without reading the whole site.  That said, I'm in kind of a hurry because my husband and I are desperate.

My 15-year-old Mr. Coffee (yes, you read that right) is just about dead.  This pot has brewed incredibly good coffee since 1998 (on 1025 watts, and made in the US).  I could not have quit smoking without it.  Goes without saying that I'm not going to be able to replace it with anything comparable.

So what do you think I should buy?  I'd like to keep this under $180.  I reallyreally need to stay under $200.  (Okay, maybe $220.)

One of the Bonavitas, maybe?

Requirements (feel free to groan out loud at some of them) --

1.  Auto drip, flat-bottom filter.  (I use preground Starbucks French Roast.)

2.  Needs auto timer.  Both my husband and I work nights and I really need to be able to put the coffee and the water in the morning before and set the pot.  (Sorry.  :-p)

3.  Needs at least 8 cups.  12 would be better.

4.  Thermal pot is probably better, but a warmer plate with auto shutoff will be acceptable.

Help!

Any and all recommendations, comments, suggestions will be very much appreciated.  And thank you for your patience.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Sep 24, 2013, 3:53am

Bonavitas have a conical filter and no timer, so you can rule those out if requirements 1 and 2 are non-negotiable, although you could use a separate timer.  I won't comment on how desirable or otherwise this might be ;o)

"Cups" is unfortunately meaningless as different manufacturers have different ideas on cup size. Better to specify it in ml or fl. oz.

You could look at the SCAA website for their tried and approved brewers available in the USA click here  You can't be sure that a brewer not listed by them is no good - it just may never have been submitted for testing which isn't cheap - but on the other hand a manufacturer with confidence in the quality/performance of its machines who wanted to promote it to discerning coffee drinkers probably would submit it.  The SCAA doesn't identify those tested which fail, unlike the European Coffee Institute which does !
LindaWhitenton

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 1:52am

Thanks very much for your response.  I would definitely trust an SCAA approval ... which points me back to the Bonavitas.  The Bunn looked great until several folks on Amazon said they had them die within months.  The other two are way out of the price range.

The filter/basket shape really isn't an issue; I was dumb to mention that.  The five or so packages of filters I have can be donated to my office.  The timer is more of an issue but I think I can work around that.

I should have thought of the inconsistency of the term "cups" before posting -- right up there with the inconsistency of "sizes" in women's clothing.  ;-)  Looking for 1300-1500 mL (1.3-1.5 L, we both sip on this all day, take it to work etc.), but 1000 to 1200 would probably be manageable.

Somewhere on here there's a recommendations thread I ran into while lurking once before.  I'll take another look at it as well.

Thanks again and any more thoughts, recommendations etc. will be welcomed.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 6:01am

Good luck in the quest.
Amazon is not always a great place for information. Bunn has a very good rep but if you are not comfortable, do look other places.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I'm looking for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243473052979)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+