Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
I need it strong and I need it fast and neat.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I need it strong...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 7:56pm
Subject: Re: I need it strong and I need it fast and neat.

dear god, I didn't realize how much I appreciated a very well conceived Subj line...
Sorry, ... what were we speaking of again?...
 View Profile Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 1:32am

jpender Said:

For the simple reason that I don't own one.

Posted September 16, 2013 link

As far as reasons to not use a French press go, that's got to be top of the list ;-)

Measured the Sowden water temp at fill up, in the vessel, 91.5C when grinds were added, dropping to 90.8C when combined.

For the FP & Sowden I don't typically secondary filter (I use to do it all the time with the FP), so I can see that mouthfeel would be reduced.

EDIT: Perhaps a few more seconds waiting after the boil would have been better today (a tad hasty with the thermometer) & a "C" or so less, acidity is up on yesterday's brew & a little less sweetness.
Brandi

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 5:54am

Wow! Who knew this post would inspire such debate!!!???

Thanks for the suggestions.  I got out my Aeropress and I discovered that by using the inverted method, I can make a lovely cup of coffee at work with little mess and quickly.  I would still kind of like to try espresso machine with ESE pods, but I have discovered that you cannot make your own.  What I thought was a pod maker actually makes pods for the Senseo machine.  There is a method to make pods by folding down regular coffee filters.  I may try it this weekend, but honestly, I'm really excited about the Aeropress.  The inverted method rocks!
MWJB

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 6:35am

Thanks for reporting back Brandi, the Aeropress is hard to beat for clean, convenient, one cup brewing.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 9:14am

John, Mark, Steve: brilliant study material. Thank you for the insights. Congrats Brandi!
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 2:06pm

MWJB Said:

For the FP & Sowden I don't typically secondary filter (I use to do it all the time with the FP), so I can see that mouthfeel would be reduced.

Posted September 17, 2013 link

I use a coarse metal filter in the Aeropress most of the time. I used it with the mason jar brew just to remove any larger particles in the decanted fluid.

MWJB Said:

Measured the Sowden water temp at fill up, in the vessel, 91.5C when grinds were added, dropping to 90.8C when combined.

Posted September 17, 2013 link

Thanks for checking that. It appears that the mason jar (which by the way isn't different from any other glass jar) had comparable temperatures.

Last night I brewed four more cups, all with an Aeropress.
The basic recipe was 20g coffee, 220g water, LIDO 1.5, 1-2 min steep, brief stir at start and end, Able Disk filter.

1) Standard method: 93C water added to the coffee -- delicious.
2) Coffee added to 96-97C water -- not bad but there was a distinct bitterness that lingered.
3) Coffee added to 96-97C water but no stirring at all -- again, a bitter note that could not be ignored.
4) Standard method but with 96-97C water added to the coffee -- harsh, bitter, undrinkable.

I didn't preheat the AP and the water was a couple of degrees cooler than the mason jar before I added the coffee in (2) and (3). So I wonder why I got bitterness in the AP but not in the mason jar. One difference was the strength -- the mason jar coffee was weak, about 1.0% TDS, whereas these coffees (samples taken but not yet measured) were likely about 1.7%. Could the bitterness be present but less apparent at lower strength? Or is it simply that there is variation brew to brew that I can't see when doing each test only one time?

I don't know, and I wish I understood this better.
But at least I know how to make a cup of coffee I really like.
MWJB

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 3:30am

Interesting stuff...

Yes, I suppose that any bitterness in the brew could be exacerbated by a high TDS? Bitterness is not something that regularly features in the Sowden & FP brews...a lack of sweetness, increased acidity, a little stewed flavour right after pouring as you get near the bottom (I attribute this to suspended solids, as it subsides/disappears with a little rest).

Earlier in the thread, I did exclude - conveniently for me ;-) - Aeropress. Mainly because my 22% dissolution steeps have been in a "pour on/pour off" steeped brewer. The Aeropress drains through the bed, bottom first - if there is stratification, you're going to get a different 'cut' of the yield, for a given level of dissolution? Just a theory...

I tend to brew in the Aeropress at much lower ratios (55-60g/l inverted steep, 60-65g/l & coarser for non-inverted), finer grind than 1.5 on the Lido (this is the lowest range for Sowden, for me) & longer steeps...but, again, I have not really had success with very long steeps in the Aeropress, nor with inverted steeps of 2min range. As with the Sowden & FP, I plunge when taste dictates, rather than at a specific steep time. I have found it hard to hit the same level of sweetness as Sowden & FP. I could joke that if a given steep time, specifically, were so critical to ensure a perfect brew, we would be more interested in which clocks & timers people were using, instead of grinders & brewers ;-)

Interesting that you have also noticed a difference in bitterness, regarding water first vs coffee first into the brewer.

In all cases you have outlined, any bitterness can't be attributed to "overextraction", with regards to the average TDS/yield of the cup. Though, for whatever reason, there could be off flavours from localised overextraction? I would expect more like 1.10%TDS to 1.20%TDS from the mason jar brew.

Keep doing what works ;-)
jpender
jpender

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 12:52pm

MWJB Said:

Yes, I suppose that any bitterness in the brew could be exacerbated by a high TDS?

Posted September 18, 2013 link

Surely at some dilution the bitterness would go away. I wish I'd tried diluting one of the 1.7% brews down to 1.0% just to see. I'd try it later but I'm growing tired of wasting good beans on experiments that produce bitter tasting coffee.

MWJB Said:

Earlier in the thread, I did exclude - conveniently for me ;-) - Aeropress. Mainly because my 22% dissolution steeps have been in a "pour on/pour off" steeped brewer. The Aeropress drains through the bed, bottom first - if there is stratification, you're going to get a different 'cut' of the yield, for a given level of dissolution? Just a theory...

So your hypothesis is that the bitterness I tasted might be in the coffee surrounding the grounds?

You also suggested earlier that some off-flavors ("carbony/irony/blood/charred") may go away with longer steeps. If I had insulated the Aeropress and allowed it to steep longer would the bitterness have vanished?
jpender
jpender

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 12:57pm

MWJB Said:

Interesting that you have also noticed a difference in bitterness, regarding water first vs coffee first into the brewer.

In all cases you have outlined, any bitterness can't be attributed to "overextraction", with regards to the average TDS/yield of the cup. Though, for whatever reason, there could be off flavours from localised overextraction?

The hotter water brews measured only marginally (~0.5%) higher in extraction. The slurry temperature ended up the same either way. My guess is that the short exposure to hotter water in the latter method extracts enough of something unpleasant to ruin the coffee. Maybe this is a reason to switch to adding the coffee to the water. Are you the only person who does this?

MWJB Said:

I would expect more like 1.10%TDS to 1.20%TDS from the mason jar brew.

That range of strength would result in a dissolution of between 19.5 and 21.3%, short of the 22% you led me to expect.

So why was I so far from 22%? Is my LIDO way out of calibration compared to yours? Or is the coffee I'm using a lot less extractable? What could account for such a large difference, with you getting 22% while I got 18%?

MWJB Said:

Keep doing what works ;-)

Of course. The magic recipe approach. I still hope, perhaps in vain, to understand it better.
MWJB

Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 2:00pm

jpender Said:

The hotter water brews measured only marginally (~0.5%) higher in extraction. The slurry temperature ended up the same either way. My guess is that the short exposure to hotter water in the latter method extracts enough of something unpleasant to ruin the coffee. Maybe this is a reason to switch to adding the coffee to the water. Are you the only person who does this?

That range of strength would result in a dissolution of between 19.5 and 21.3%, short of the 22% you led me to expect.

So why was I so far from 22%? Is my LIDO way out of calibration compared to yours? Or is the coffee I'm using a lot less extractable? What could account for such a large difference, with you getting 22% while I got 18%?

Of course. The magic recipe approach. I still hope, perhaps in vain, to understand it better.

No, adding grinds to the water is a common technique with a syphon...admittedly, when I first saw it I thought it a mere affectation.

I grind much finer for FP than for the Sowden (which is 1.7 turns out on the Lido, 55g/l, 1.14%TDS would be my target).
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I need it strong...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.382863044739)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+