Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Matt Perger Pour Over Method
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Matt Perger Pour...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 10:48am
Subject: Re: Matt Perger Pour Over Method

OK had a couple more cracks at this today...

Third attempt got fairly close, overshot the water a shade, a tad too coarse too. 2:08 brew time. Even managed a weak spin :-)

Rocky was set to "30" (burrs nash at "2"), much, much coarser than I was anticipating.

I got 1.3%TDS. Sweet, juicy...probably the best brewed coffee I have made with this Kenyan SL28 peaberry! (Shame it's the end of the bag...always the way...).

A little sourness, I can fully see how a little more yield could balance up the sweetness, which was evident in parts, in the overextracted brews I made previously.

One of the little epiphanies I have had recently, is that we often focus on the brew ratio as the big driver for a TDS/yield result...then make little adjustments to grind. A pulse pour will require a much coarser grind than a "fill & drain", if they are to end up at a comparable TDS & yield.
 View Profile Link to this post
EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 1:07pm

Of the coffee is either weak or bitter, isn't the obvious answer to updose. Either way I rarely use less than 14 g pr 200 g of water... its just better with 14-16 g...
MWJB

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 1:46pm

EndTwo Said:

Of the coffee is either weak or bitter, isn't the obvious answer to updose. Either way I rarely use less than 14 g pr 200 g of water... its just better with 14-16 g...

Posted September 14, 2013 link

Strength is perhaps less relevant than extraction yield. Matt Perger's cup was 1.40%TDS...you could hit that at a reasonable level of extraction at anything from 58g/l to 70g/l. A 21% extraction yield at 14/200g would be over 1.60%TDS, not everyone is going to like that either.

Brew ratio is one variable...like temp, grind & pour style (flow rate through the bed). Keep most of them constant & change one variable to get where you want to go.

I do admit, for a fuss free cup, I tend to brew around 70g/l (14/200) with a pourover too. But I was very pleased with this last cup, using Perger's method...even if it still needs a fine tune (the cup that is, not the method).
UGEN

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 5:15pm

I'm still adjusting my technique! If I'm getting around 180g in the cup from 12g of coffee should I be using slightly more water to aim to have 200g in the cup post brew?
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 7:18pm

UGEN Said:

I'm using a Baratza Preciso! Currently on a grind of 18D. I have been pulse pouring too. 30g bloom for until 0.30 then slowly adding water pouring circular from the center put and keeping the bed low. I have been finishing my
Pours at about 2.30 for 12g of coffee but they taste bitter to me. And I don't think the grind is too fine as the water does drain through quite quickly and I wouldn't want to extend my time much longer than 2.30 as then the bed would run dry in between pours. Coarsening up the grind and the flow rate would be alot faster

Posted September 11, 2013 link

Mitchell, Precisos (I own one) can be calibrated quite differently. For instance, I open the cover, and adjust the screw to the finest setting.
For me, when I had a Hario V60 (2) 18 would have been WAY too coarse. I find a Kalita likes a coarser grind, but I had zero success with a Hario unless the grind was table salt by feel. The Kalita, more like kosher salt.
I believe instead of posting grinder settings by #, we'd be better off describing how the grind FEELS.

Just ,my .02

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
UGEN

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 7:49pm

IMAWriter Said:

Mitchell, Precisos (I own one) can be calibrated quite differently. For instance, I open the cover, and adjust the screw to the finest setting.
For me, when I had a Hario V60 (2) 18 would have been WAY too coarse. I find a Kalita likes a coarser grind, but I had zero success with a Hario unless the grind was table salt by feel. The Kalita, more like kosher salt.
I believe instead of posting grinder settings by #, we'd be better off describing how the grind FEELS.

Just ,my .02

Thanks for the input. I agree 100% on the calibration of different grinders! I'm just fairly new to the v60 and still not sure if I'm even in the ballpark or results. I have tried all types of grinds and can't seem to get it right. From a coarse grind with fast flow through and pulse pouring to extend brew time, and fine
Grind and pouring in 50ml, 50ml, 100ml and letting it drain. To everything in between. Using different water temps too.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 8:19pm

UGEN Said:

Thanks for the input. I agree 100% on the calibration of different grinders! I'm just fairly new to the v60 and still not sure if I'm even in the ballpark or results. I have tried all types of grinds and can't seem to get it right. From a coarse grind with fast flow through and pulse pouring to extend brew time, and fine
Grind and pouring in 50ml, 50ml, 100ml and letting it drain. To everything in between. Using different water temps too.

Mitchell, I enjoyed the coffee I got from the Hario, but found it a bit more fussy than I liked, due to my somewhat less than steady hands sometimes!
However, the Kalita has been a revelation. Far less (for me) difficult to repeat my results, and I find a low, somewhat steady pour works just fine for me.

I'm just ASSUMING you haver a proper pour-over kettle, elongated curved nose, etc?
Sorry If I missed that. If, by chance you do not, therein could be a major reason for your lack of success.
Also, like all things coffee, Water might be an issue. If you're not liking the taste, could your water be too acidic?

I am assuming you're using freshly roasted coffee, not canned or from the supermarket!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
UGEN

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 9:50pm

IMAWriter Said:

Mitchell, I enjoyed the coffee I got from the Hario, but found it a bit more fussy than I liked, due to my somewhat less than steady hands sometimes!
However, the Kalita has been a revelation. Far less (for me) difficult to repeat my results, and I find a low, somewhat steady pour works just fine for me.

I'm just ASSUMING you haver a proper pour-over kettle, elongated curved nose, etc?
Sorry If I missed that. If, by chance you do not, therein could be a major reason for your lack of success.
Also, like all things coffee, Water might be an issue. If you're not liking the taste, could your water be too acidic?

I am assuming you're using freshly roasted coffee, not canned or from the supermarket!

Yes I am using a bonavita gooseneck kettle! And good fresh roasted coffee! I have also been buying boxes of spring water to brew with. I'm more disappointed in the results. I have had v60's from a shop here and they are great. Great sweetness and acidity and a smooth finish. My cups seem to be either sour or bitter. There does not seem to be a middle ground. They don't have the flavour depth like I have tasted.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 10:51pm

Mitchell, are you brewing at a water temperature around 93-94c?
That's generally where I do, though some will go a wee bit higher!
On the other hand, Aeropress folks sometimes brew down in the 87c area

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
MWJB

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 11:38pm

UGEN Said:

I'm still adjusting my technique! If I'm getting around 180g in the cup from 12g of coffee should I be using slightly more water to aim to have 200g in the cup post brew?

180g could be ball park yield at a slightly lower TDS though. I have been simultaneously weighing water added & beverage out...I guess most folk will just weigh water added, which will work too if you stick to 200g.

FWIW my grind for the 20% yield is like granulated white sugar, coarser than caster sugar & table salt, not as coarse as chunky sea salt.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Matt Perger Pour...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.357727050781)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+