Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bonavita BV1800 Glass
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita BV1800...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 10:59am
Subject: Re: Bonavita BV1800 Glass

Tested my Bonavita again this morning two times----207.5 degrees.  Contacted their cust serv, now waiting to hear from them.  Would love to get this brewer working properly but will have to see what they say.  

Steamer....  what model (or capacity) is your Nissan thermal carafe that you brew into from your thermal model TV?  Does it have a spout for traditional pouring or a top and cap?  Also....  do you use the TV long brew funnel in your Nissan carafe during brewing?

Etexlady....  YES "expensive mistake" if this brewer can't be fixed (I won't pay for returning for service--w/see how that goes since Adekorte was asked to pay for return).  My shower head is also leaking in 2-3 places---that probably went on the a little while before I caught that, didn't find that until I started testing the brew temp.

Adekorte....  you have the TV thermal model.  Will your carafe fit in back under the filter basket area with the regular screw on pour top?  Saw a video where it doesn't fit back under there unless you leave it topped with the brew funnel---like the screw on top is too high to fit under there.
 View Profile Link to this post
msboo

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 12:40pm

Info found online during search....  heating problems in some 2012 manufactured  BV brewers.  See link below then go down to the last Q & A---the Question refers to water not being hot enough but the Answer refers to "heating problems".

click here
msboo

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 2:40pm

Bonavita Cust Serv called me back---I explained all including that I would not pay to ship my brewer to them (if that was needed).  I was informed that sometimes they'll just send the customer another brewer, other times they want the defective brewer to test for their own info.  I'm filling out a Warranty Claim and we will go from there---should hear from them in a couple of days AND if they want my brewer back, or not, they'll take care of all shipping.
msboo

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 7:49pm

Good update....  received an email containing a UPS tracking # for my replacement brewer.  The Warranty Claims dpt acted quicker than I thought, like in 24 hrs.

Adekorte....  I'm curious as to who you called concerning your brewer.  My first call was to Espresso Supply, as they had become the global distributor for Bonavita, I thought you had to work thru them ONLY.  Whoever I spoke with there didn't seem concerned about the high brew temps, etc---they were nice, just NOT encouraging, but did tell me to fill out a Warranty Claim.  I gave up, boxed it up, done.  Had the time yesterday, searched Bonavita online again, called the number on their site (www.bonavitaworld.com)---they were a great help, I felt encouraged then gladly surprised that they might send a new brewer and would pay shipping, regardless.

Etexlady....  sorry about your carafe.  I was worried when I first received the brewer due to the shape of the carafe---very wide compared to all my other glass-lined carafes (all tall and narrow in comparison).  I read all the reviews of broken, exploding BV carafes.  I've been using glass-lined for almost 20 yrs BUT this big fat Melitta carafe scared me so I've been very careful, lucky so far.  I got another carafe (for a back-up), same exact one that comes on the BV brewer---it's sold as a Melitta Thermal 8 cup pour over, includes top for the carafe and filter basket w/stainless trimmed handle.  I was lucky, had some points on Amazon that saved me $ so got this $40 pour over for 13.50.  I know you said you didn't care for the BV coffee but thought I'd pass this along in case you wanted to be able to use your boxed up BV in the future.
msboo

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 8:46pm

Replacement brewer arrived this afternoon---shipped from Espresso Supply after contacting BonavitaWorld.com.  Ready to brew in the morning.
MisterW

Espresso: Silvia, Aeropress (not...
Grinder: Mini Pro III, Maestro Plus
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Gene
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 9:35pm

I'm reading this thread with interest-- we also have a Bonavita glass and we've stopped using it for the last half year because it gets too darn hot and makes the coffee bitter. As luck would have it, it was delivered on Jan. 17, 2012, so I have a few days left on my warranty! Msboo, how did it work out with the replacement?

Also, how are people measuring the output temperature? I tried aiming an infrared thermometer at the holes where the water comes out but it's hard to get an accurate reading. I put a candy thermometer in the carafe, but by the time it collects in the carafe the water has cooled down.
msboo

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 2:29pm

MisterW....  sorry to hear your BV is over heating.  I used a Taylor 9847N digital thermometer, was recommended on here by others---about $15 in different retail stores.  I will say it wasn't easy but I tested my brew temps several times----held the thermometer sideways, with the prob just under where the water comes out of the shower head, slipped into the small space between the top of the filter basket and the shower head.  Other times I inserted it through one of the vent (middle of 3) holes in the top of the brewer.  It was hitting 207 plus degrees---nasty coffee.  

On my first temp test I discovered my shower head was leaking from what looks like a band that runs straight across the shower "arm" just in front of the actual round shower area.  Good idea to check that.

I called the toll free number on BonavitaWorld.com web site.  Speaking with them first made me feel better AND then they were familiar with my complaint when looking at my claim form.  They contacted me pretty quick after reviewing my form---received a replacement brewer very quickly.  

The claim form will ask you for your model number so they know you have a glass carafe or thermal model.  You will receive a replacement brewer without a carafe.
MisterW

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 8:33pm

Thanks for the info, msboo. I also found a leak across the arm to the shower head-- looks like a design problem. And that is much easier to document with a picture than a temperature problem, so hopefully i won't have to bother sending my brewer in.

How has your replacement unit been? Is the temperature more normal, and did they redesign the arm to the shower head?
msboo

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 11:13am

MisterW....  the shower head has not been redesigned and being a separate part, it can be replaced separately.  If you suspect your brewer is over heating you should test the temp so you actually know what it's doing then can state that in a claim form AFTER speaking with BV customer service by phone.

A brewer replacement would be the entire brewer LESS carafe.  If a leaky shower head is the only problem, that would just be a part replacement.
MisterW

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 9:36pm

Thanks msboo for your suggestions-- there's a new brewer on its way to me :)
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bonavita BV1800...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254925966263)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+