Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New kind of machine!
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New kind of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 7:11am
Subject: Re: New kind of machine!

barkingburro Said:

I have to disagree, categorically.  The kitchenboy review is far more detailed, more revealing of the pros and cons, and more nuanced than the other review.  Readers should look at both reviews and make up their own mind.

Posted September 12, 2013 link

The kitchenboy was a puff piece for the iCoffee.   Accolading the "crema" advertising hoax is laughable and disingenuous to actually educating the public to what crema really is.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 7:39am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I disagree.  The reviewer was attempting to disparage an apparent SCAA approved drip brewer and in the comparison inflate the pros of the iCoffee.  I say put up or shut up.

Len

Posted September 13, 2013 link

No, you have just done that.
 View Profile Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 7:41am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

The kitchenboy was a puff piece for the iCoffee.   Accolading the "crema" advertising hoax is laughable and disingenuous to actually educating the public to what crema really is.  

Len

Am I reading a different review, no mention of "SCAA approved drip brewers" or "crema" in the kitchenboy article I read?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 7:44am

MWJB Said:

Am I reading a different review, no mention of "SCAA approved drip brewers" or "crema" in the kitchenboy article I read?

Direct from article on kitchenboy:
"The head to head drip brewer was against a nationally available brand-name international company (I won’t say who), but this company is one of the top 2 or 3 drip machines you can buy."

There are currently 3 SCAA cerfified drip brewers.  The insinuation is there.

The crema issue is illustrated with images in the review apparently copied from iCoffee ads.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 7:50am

MWJB Said:

No, you have just done that.

If the reviewer does not have the confidence in listing the names of the actual drip brewers being compared there should not be a comparison review done.  

Len

barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 10:25am

Someone is certainly reading a bit too much into the reviews.  To paraphrase what I said before, I think the reader can easily ascertain which review is the puff piece and which is the more critical.

- Michael
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 11:17am

barkingburro Said:

Someone is certainly reading a bit too much into the reviews.  To paraphrase what I said before, I think the reader can easily ascertain which review is the puff piece and which is the more critical.

It is our job as CoffeeGeeks to look hard at reviews, the people or companies that are doing the reviewing, and be critical and also point out potential flaws in the reviews.  To make an analogy, lets apply the kitchenboy review scenario I have criticized and apply it to a sports car review.  The new car in the bunch is the iWIDGET sports car:

"The head to head sports car match was against a nationally available brand-name international company (I won’t say who), but this company is one of the top 2 or 3 sports cars you can buy."

Then the reviewer goes on to state how the iWIDGET car is better in many critical areas than the unnamed sports car it is being compared against.

I'd hope that a person wouldn't base a buying decision in favor of the iWIDGET based upon that comparison review.  If they did they would surely be doing themself a disservice.

Len

scarrz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 2:55pm

Seems this topic has taken a sidetrack due to the Kitchenboy link I posted.  My apologies.  Every person can read the same article and take something different from it, which seems to be the case here.  I look forward to trying out the iCoffee and making my own determination of its worthiness.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 3:17pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I cannot recall a time that I had good restaurant coffee.  In fact my experience has been that the main issue with their coffee is their not using filtered water.  Nothing is worse than tasting chlorine or high iron content in the water.  On top of that most let their coffees sit on the burner till sludge.  I never get restaurant coffee any more.

Len

Posted September 5, 2013 link

+1. Len.
Abacus, there are so many inaccuracies in your posting (aside from your statement regarding restaurant coffee as a "standard" to compare FGOOD coffee to) that I had to respond.
With all the paraphernalia you claim to have used, to say you can't make an excellent cup, better than ANY RESTAURANT says one of 2 things:
You use lousy coffee, or You don't know how to operate your equipment properly.
I shudder to think it could be BOTH.

BTW, my "attitude" has nothing to do with being a so called "Sr member." In 6 months, YOU'LL be a Sr member.
I simply read what you presented in your post, and questioned the method by which you made your determination.
Mentioning restaurant quality as a standard rang the " uh oh" bell.
As you've seen, I'm not the only poster who has responded to that comment negatively.

Apologies if my bluntness offended you.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 5:09pm

IMAWriter Said:

Abacus, ... With all the paraphernalia you claim to have used, to say you can't make an excellent cup, better than ANY RESTAURANT says one of 2 things:
You use lousy coffee, or You don't know how to operate your equipment properly.

IMAWriter, you hit on a point that I've been waiting for others to bring up, but I'll have to [...one sec...] try to [...ugh!...almost got it...] remove the value judgement first [there, got it!].  The point is, if one assumes abacus knows what he likes, and taking into account his obvious departure from typical coffeegeek standards of freshness and quality, then, in combination with the reviews, one can conclude that the iCoffee does a great job in maximizing flavor of the roasty kind, while minimizing bitterness.

Thus, a more "third wave flavor profile" revealing cup, produced by the trifecta or a well-executed pour-over or siphon, etc., might not taste as pleasant using the same coffee.  Why? Because the coffee/roast is not a prime example of yielding those oils, spices, acidity,etc., that many geeks find pleasant, while it still has plenty of roasty flavor to give up.  The balance, due to lack of freshness or whatever, doesn't hold up under a third wave microscope, in a manner of speaking.

So, again without placing value judgements on the type of coffee abacus prefers, I can accept that there are qualities to some coffee roasts that some of us might appreciate, when the high steam/turbulence process of the iCoffee is applied to them.

And honestly, all the value judgement and dismissal is getting a little tiring to me.  Not going to argue the latter point with you.  If you're fired up about it, who am I to speak for the majority?

*** Addendum 9-20-2013: Well, I was almost as good as my word.  See later post. ***

- Michael
showing page 5 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New kind of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.429732084274)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+