Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New kind of machine!
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New kind of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 5:27pm
Subject: Re: New kind of machine!

jpender Said:

It depends on the restaurant, of course. The coffee I'm drinking right now I discovered by asking what they were serving me at a restaurant.

Posted September 5, 2013 link

Oh sure some are good, but majority are stinkers especially down here in South FL where there is a lack of roasters, let alone even coffee shops that know what a good roasters is lol. When I go out of state it's so much better, was at a restaurant in Cali that had Klatch and Vivace, you'd never see that down here lol.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 5:33pm

I cannot recall a time that I had good restaurant coffee.  In fact my experience has been that the main issue with their coffee is their not using filtered water.  Nothing is worse than tasting chlorine or high iron content in the water.  On top of that most let their coffees sit on the burner till sludge.  I never get restaurant coffee any more.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 5:54pm

CMIN Said:

Oh sure some are good, but majority are stinkers especially down here in South FL where there is a lack of roasters, let alone even coffee shops that know what a good roasters is lol. When I go out of state it's so much better, was at a restaurant in Cali that had Klatch and Vivace, you'd never see that down here lol.

Posted September 5, 2013 link

Good to know that about South FL as I may be down there later this year.

I guess I'm lucky (in that sense at least) living where I do. I can walk to several well known roasters and usually buy good coffee roasted the day before. For what it's worth that restaurant coffee I had was sourced and roasted by Mr. Espresso. They have a unique process where they fire their roaster with oak wood.
abacus01

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 7:40pm

I didnt mean just any restaurant coffee..i meant a high end restaurant like Peter Lugers for instance..there coffee is amazing..and when someone responds too bad they cant get ip address's anymore..i take that as some sort of threat...I dont like that guy...he's a trouble maker on these boards...period.
scarrz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 5:04pm

Abacus, I just purchased the iCoffee should be here next week so i can chime in after that.  I am a current technivorm owner (7+ years) and have found stirring the grounds during the beginning has made a huge difference in flavor.  I considered the Trifecta but the price has made me reconsider.  Bloomingdales has the iCoffee on sale for $169 and you can find a 10% coupon if you look around.  I figure with the return policy they have its worth a try even if it costs me a little to return ship it.  Looking forward to trying it.  I have read some great reviews but not a lot from the average person which I assume is because the iCoffee is still relatively new and unknown.

A good review for folks that have not seen it: http://kitchenboy.net/blog/icoffee-machine-review/
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 5:46pm

Another review of the icoffee: Click Here (blog.viewpoints.com)

I believe it speaks more specifically to its pros and cons than the other review posted on kitchenboy.  I particulary did not like how kitchenboy posted its review against a purposely unnamed competitor who is in the "top 2 or 3" drips you can buy.  If the reviewer doesn't have the confidence to list the competitor they shouldn't even bring up competition review to begin with.

FWIW.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

scarrz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 6:20pm

Thanks. Good read and I do like the pro and cons listed. I appreciate the comparison with other brewing methods in the kb review.  But from what I've read I am looking forward to trying the Icoffee.
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 10:17pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I believe it speaks more specifically to its pros and cons than the other review posted on kitchenboy.  I particulary did not like how kitchenboy posted its review against a purposely unnamed competitor who is in the "top 2 or 3" drips you can buy.  If the reviewer doesn't have the confidence to list the competitor they shouldn't even bring up competition review to begin with.

FWIW.

Len

Posted September 12, 2013 link

I have to disagree, categorically.  The kitchenboy review is far more detailed, more revealing of the pros and cons, and more nuanced than the other review.  Readers should look at both reviews and make up their own mind.

- Michael
MWJB

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 3:13am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

FWIW.

Len

Posted September 12, 2013 link

I think it's quite respectful that the review doesn't name the other brand, you can report on the benefits of one machine without publicly trashing the name of another.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 7:10am

MWJB Said:

I think it's quite respectful that the review doesn't name the other brand, you can report on the benefits of one machine without publicly trashing the name of another.

Posted September 13, 2013 link

I disagree.  The reviewer was attempting to disparage an apparent SCAA approved drip brewer and in the comparison inflate the pros of the iCoffee.  I say put up or shut up.

Len

showing page 4 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New kind of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.34764289856)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+