Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
I need it strong and I need it fast and neat.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I need it strong...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Anthorn

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 8:41am
Subject: Re: I need it strong and I need it fast and neat.

emradguy Said:

I've used both. It sounds to me that you haven't. Aeropress brewing is done is about 30 seconds. Water can be heated using any method available, a microwave oven, gas or electric burner, heck, even a hotel room drip machine run without any coffee in it. To clean, you simply twist the filter mechanism, then plunge the grounds into a trash bin.  This takes about 5 seconds. At this point you're almost finished with your clean up.  Last step to cleaning is a quick rinse of any residual liquid coffee off of the parts, and a few left grounds on the end of the plunger part.

Posted September 11, 2013 link

Never used an Aeropress. I've considered it and watched videos on youtube but it all looks a bit fiddly to me. I'd much rather just whack a moka pot on the stove. I've used most other methods including filter, drip and cafetiere but the moka pot wins. Can't have an espresso machine because I only have a small kitchen.
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 9:43am

Anthorn Said:

Never used an Aeropress. I've considered it and watched videos on youtube but it all looks a bit fiddly to me.

It's not fiddly. It's easy. Cleanup is simple since you can often pop out 99% of the puck and the cylinder is squeegeed clean already. A quick rinse is usually enough.

For a while I was entertaining myself by seeing how fast I could make a cup with my Aeropress. My best time is 3:53, including microwaving a cup of water, letting it cool to 93C, measuring and hand grinding the beans, pouring, stirring, brewing for 30 seconds and then cleaning up afterwards. Typically, without trying to go fast, it takes me about 5-6 minutes.

In comparison, it usually takes at least 5 minutes just to get the water hot enough so that coffee starts flowing in my 3 cup moka pot. That doesn't include the rest of the brewing time, much less the measuring, grinding, assembly, or cleanup. I find the whole process seems to take an eternity if I've been brewing with my Aeropress a lot recently. This is despite having used a moka pot for most of my adult life.

No cleanup in a moka pot? I suppose some people are okay with using a dirty pot. I get in there and clean that thing with hot water and my fingers every time and then wipe it down with a towel. Otherwise it's greasy. Cleaning the area under the upper filter and inside the coffee pipe requires removal of the gasket. So that gets done a lot less often than I would like.
Anthorn

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 10:15am

jpender Said:

No cleanup in a moka pot? I suppose some people are okay with using a dirty pot. I get in there and clean that thing with hot water and my fingers every time and then wipe it down with a towel. Otherwise it's greasy. Cleaning the area under the upper filter and inside the coffee pipe requires removal of the gasket. So that gets done a lot less often than I would like.

It would seem like a dirty pot but it's not really dirty, it's oily from the coffee oil and it's supposed to be like that. It protects the coffee from the metallic taste of the aluminium. The process is simply to rinse under hot water and then leave to air dry. After assembly, the outside can be buffed with a towel but the inside is never touched with a towel. Coffee from a new moka pot when tasted by someone who has never tasted moka pot coffee is pretty good. But when someone has been making coffee in a seasoned pot and then gets a new moka pot, the difference is noticeable.

Removing the seal and filter to rinse and air dry shouldn't be a problem provided our moka pot is big enough. We would for example not make another pot straight away. If we need more coffee we would use a bigger one.
Brandi

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 10:41am

I did Aeropress a while ago.  It's not bad, but somehow I feel like it uses more coffee than other methods.  That could work for the classroom in conjunction with an electric kettle.  It is quick and the plunger makes for easy disposal of grounds.  I'm still toying with the whole espresso machine with premade pods.  With pods, do you brew one shot at a time per pod?

I have done the moka in the past and it also makes good coffee, but I don't have time in the day to fuss with it. And the disposal would be a pain, I think.
jpender
jpender

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 10:58am

Anthorn Said:

It would seem like a dirty pot but it's not really dirty, it's oily from the coffee oil and it's supposed to be like that. It protects the coffee from the metallic taste of the aluminium.

I'm aware of this idea that a layer of coffee oil is protective but does not affect flavor. Opinions differ on the subject.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 11:14am

Brandi Said:

I'm still toying with the whole espresso machine with premade pods.  With pods, do you brew one shot at a time per pod?

yes, like any other method - once you run the extraction, the grounds need to go in the trash or your garden...

Brandi Said:

I have done the moka in the past and it also makes good coffee, but I don't have time in the day to fuss with it. And the disposal would be a pain, I think.

yes, this was my point earlier...Moka, while being relatively fast, easy and good quality, doesn't meet your stated specification for cleanup.  Again, I think it's about the same clean up as with a presspot. So, if that's not acceptable to you, moka pot won't be either.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 11:18am

Brandi Said:

I did Aeropress a while ago.  It's not bad, but somehow I feel like it uses more coffee than other methods.  That could work for the classroom in conjunction with an electric kettle.  It is quick and the plunger makes for easy disposal of grounds.  I'm still toying with the whole espresso machine with premade pods.  With pods, do you brew one shot at a time per pod?

Yes one each.  If your thinking small pod espresso machine the Delonghi EC155 is cheap, small and has a fast warm up time.  There are better brands out there but this machine is great for $100 price point.  I used to be able to make americanos in under 10min. Warms up fast.  Better entry level pod machine tho would be a Gaggia or Saeco for $200-$400 range.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 3:56pm

Brandi Said:

I did Aeropress a while ago.  It's not bad, but somehow I feel like it uses more coffee than other methods.

It depends. Because it's an infusion method it requires more coffee than drip or espresso or stovetop. But compared to French press it uses about the same amount of coffee or even a little less, depending on the details. And compared to pod brewing you might use more coffee in an Aeropress but you'll spend less money per cup.
MWJB

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 3:51am

jpender Said:

It depends. Because it's an infusion method it requires more coffee than drip or espresso or stovetop. But compared to French press it uses about the same amount of coffee or even a little less, depending on the details. And compared to pod brewing you might use more coffee in an Aeropress but you'll spend less money per cup.

Hi jpender,

Why does an Aeropress require more coffee (dry dose per cup/portion) than drip (55-70g/l)/espresso (200-500g/l)/stovetop (~140g/l)? Surely, you decide the dose & vary technique to get the strength/yield you want?

Inverted doses of 10-14g seem to work well enough? ~14g being the nominal Aeropress scoop/portion size.

Not saying using more coffee is "wrong", just curious as to why it's a requirement. I can see that the quicker you want the cup, the bigger the dose to bump up strength in a short space of time, but infusion generally takes a fair bit of time.

A one cup pourover at 70g/l+ is pretty quick & strong, fast clean up. Needs a pouring kettle though.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 4:27am
Subject: ...

showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I need it strong...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.375097036362)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+