Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive drip machine . . . any advice?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I'm looking for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
TheVito

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 9:38am
Subject: I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive drip machine . . . any advice?

I have a Cuisinart Coffee-on-Demand that holds the coffee in it that we've had for a good 5 years or so, at least. I think it's dying though (on switch almost didn't work this morning). I've been planning on researching and replacing it eventually, but now must do so on much shorter notice and on more of a budget than I would have had next year. Last year I bought a stainless steel insulated carafe from Starbucks, so I already pour the coffee into that right after it's made, making the reservoir not important. I also wouldn't necessarily need one with an insulated carafe.

I don't need one that grinds as I have a pretty good grinder (Virtuoso Preciso) that I invested in after getting a Gaggia Classic espresso machine a couple years ago.

I would like something that makes decent drip coffee but is affordable and is aesthetically pleasing enough for my wife to allow it on the counter.

Any advice?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 9:50am
Subject: Re: I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive drip machine . . . any advice?

inexpensive and affordable are such subjective terms...what's your budget?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
TheVito

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 9:55am
Subject: Re: I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive drip machine . . . any advice?

I would really prefer $60 range, but could possibly convince my wife to go up to the $100 range.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 10:40am

I'm not the best one to give you a good answer, as I haven't done drip in maybe 10 years.  I currently only prepare press and espresso. However...

Your budget won't get you any of the SCAA certified units.  I suspect there are people who can help you get something decent though...and I hope that happens.

Maybe you can get Wayne (calblacksmith) to sell you the Bunn airpot he picked up from Sam's Club last week?

Have you considered doing pour over (Chemex, Hario, etc)?

Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 11:37am

Have you thought about a large manual drip set up?  The Chemex is a beautiful brewer and makes outstanding drip coffee.  Or even a syphon brewer?  Both don't brew into a steel carafe tho but you would have top notch brewed coffee. Another great brew maker would be a stainless steel press pot.  add coffee, water, wait a few and press.  

Chemex

Hario Syphon

Bodum 8 cup

IMO manual brewing gives you the edge to make the coffee more tasty. ;p

I brew espresso, press and drip all the time and nothing beats manual for me taste wise even beats out our $250 commercial brewer.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 4:47pm

Gee Ron, the box doesn't even have dust on it yet!

Perhaps one of the best ways to make drip costs the least. A cone, paper filter, and a tea kettle. It is called manual pour over:-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 5:19pm

Just pick up a Clever.  Inexpensive and makes a great up.  I use a gold filter with mine as I like the extra body it adds, much like a press.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 6:58pm

calblacksmith Said:

Gee Ron, the box doesn't even have dust on it yet!

Posted September 10, 2013 link

Well you said you didn't know what you were going to do with it...and you even said you might sell it :)

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 8:28am

Yes I did LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Anthorn

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 10:57am

Today I bought a Clever Drip to add to my Moka pots which will increase the coffee blends I can use. It comes across as logical to me - a mix of Cafetiere steep and pour-over drip. I had a Chemex but it went to a charity shop. I don't see the point of a Chemex when I could just drip straight into a cup.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > I'm looking for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290213108063)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+