Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Matt Perger Pour Over Method
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Matt Perger Pour...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
biker

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus, Mazzer...
Vac Pot: Hario Deco 5, Hario Noveau...
Drip: Hario Drip Pot Woodneck,...
Roaster: Freshroast SR300, Nesco...
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 8:47am
Subject: Matt Perger Pour Over Method

Try as I might, my attempts to brew coffee using Matt Perger's pour over technique have been disappointing. In a nut-shell, his recipe is:

grind 12 grams coffee (In answer to a question asked by a Vimeo viewer, Matt said: "just regular drip grind")
pour over 200 grams 106 degree water as follows:
0 minutes - 50 grams (then stir)
30 seconds - 50 grams
60 seconds - 100 grams

Matt's brew cycle takes 2 minutes and 20 seconds.

In Matt's video, water is well above the the ground coffee level at both 30 & 60 seconds. With a drip-grind, not only is the cycle much shorter, but at both the 30 and 60 seconds marks there is no water above the coffee grounds. The water flows so fast there is hardly time to stir the initial pour. I can slow it down to 2 min. & 20 sec. by using an espresso grind, but the cup falls short of my expectations.

Is there anybody who has had success with Matt Perger's method that can help me do the same?

Matt Perger Pour Over video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPDfn--vxK8
 View Profile Link to this post
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 9:19am
Subject: Re: Matt Perger Pour Over Method

I have had little success getting a nice tasting cup with a TDS% that high from a pour over method, especially one that is over in 2:20. Perger grinds that coffee ultra-fine in the video (you can even see the clumps), which is how he gets the strength up that much with his method, and how he can have the water drain that slow. My guess is that the cup in the video doesnt taste very good either.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 1:44pm

Biker, the time may vary due to grind, fines etc. Maybe aim for "close" with the time and 172g beverage out at 1.4%TDS
UGEN

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 12:51am

I have been trying to perfect my Hario V60 method over the past week having been brewing aeropress for the past 6 months. I can't seem to get mine right either! I have tried his technique with no success! The cup was quite bitter and not sweet or juicy at all. I have since tried sticking with that same pour time over 2.30min with 12g of coffee and 200ml of water but adjusting the grind courser to try and extract more from the cup but it tastes under extracted with a slight bitterness still? Could the water temp of 97 degrees be too high? Could that be what's causing the bitterness also?

I'm puzzled trying to get the V60 right. I'm making multiple coffees a day trying to solve the problem!
Happiest

Grinder: Vario-W
Drip: Pour over/melitta bamboo
Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 5:03am

I'd like to see this being done in a retail setting..
sgnoobie

Grinder: HMMS
Drip: v60 02
Roaster: Blue Bottle, Ritual,...
Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 5:06am

Forget Matt's method....Overall I've found the traditional pulse pour in the center to outer ring works best with the beans I've used. Using a 02, I'm doing a 3min extraction - 50g bloom, and 4x75g pulses to yield 350g total.

What grinder are you guys using?
Happiest

Grinder: Vario-W
Drip: Pour over/melitta bamboo
Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 5:31am

Matt does a counter clockwise pour, no wonder....

.I'm using a vario-w, set at #8k, with 18.5g and 318g water for a 1:17 ratio
MWJB

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 9:51am

Never tried this method before (as per the video), but gave it a crack this morning (was then dragged away from home, will try again at the weekend).

Rocky set to "11" (or is it "10.5", this is just where the grinder was set).

Total brew time took 3:00 to realise 172g in the cup. Too fine, 1.57TDS, 23% yield.

Quite oily on top, probably from the high strike temp, needs a good stir, but typical "espresso" grind looks to be too fine.

Obviously, it was "over", but there was still sweetness in the cup. I'll give it a few more goes.

Perger's counter clockwise pour...coreolis effect, he is in the Southern hemisphere? ;-)
UGEN

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 2:08pm

I'm using a Baratza Preciso! Currently on a grind of 18D. I have been pulse pouring too. 30g bloom for until 0.30 then slowly adding water pouring circular from the center put and keeping the bed low. I have been finishing my
Pours at about 2.30 for 12g of coffee but they taste bitter to me. And I don't think the grind is too fine as the water does drain through quite quickly and I wouldn't want to extend my time much longer than 2.30 as then the bed would run dry in between pours. Coarsening up the grind and the flow rate would be alot faster
MWJB

Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 12:29am

UGEN Said:

I'm using a Baratza Preciso! Currently on a grind of 18D. I have been pulse pouring too. 30g bloom for until 0.30 then slowly adding water pouring circular from the center put and keeping the bed low. I have been finishing my
Pours at about 2.30 for 12g of coffee but they taste bitter to me. And I don't think the grind is too fine as the water does drain through quite quickly and I wouldn't want to extend my time much longer than 2.30 as then the bed would run dry in between pours. Coarsening up the grind and the flow rate would be alot faster

Posted September 11, 2013 link

Possibly, an aspect that is notable in Matt Perger's techinique, is the 25%/25%/50% pulses of brew water. More frequent, smaller pulses may well see you overextract (unless very coarse), due to more sustained & aggressive extraction, for the same brew ratio.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Matt Perger Pour...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270841121674)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+