Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bialetti weak watery brew?
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bialetti weak...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
philosogeek
philosogeek
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Livia 90 Semi-Auto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 8 and 3 cup
Drip: Pour over, Clever coffee...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Aug 9, 2008, 4:39pm
Subject: Re: Bialetti weak watery brew?

@ LifeandPeace: What's the thinking behind getting the water boiling first?

-p
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Judge

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV,...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Compak K3...
Drip: Bunn VP-17, Breville...
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sun Aug 10, 2008, 5:38am

Ah ok I understand what he means now.  Yes I will tap the pot on the counter as I fill it.  This settles the grinds, not really tamping but it does tighten them up some what.

But once again Billati makes these things right.  If your not enjoying the flavor I imagine its just to do with the coffee your using.

I would ask yourself this.  What sort of coffee do you like to drink when you go out?  I drink French roast or Americano's  Hence the Brikka gives me what I want.

Myself I have never preboiled the water and I could not think of a reason to do so
 View Profile Link to this post
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Sun Aug 10, 2008, 2:37pm

PhilosoGeek,

This is my thinking (and others'):

What other method of coffee brewing heats the coffee grounds as the water is heating before it actually brews?

It's pretty much universally acknowledged that to heat the coffee after roasting and before brewing is not good.

This is what I mean: If I set the basket in the bottom, screw on the top, and set it on the stove, the grounds are getting heated--unnecessarily. The water has to go from 80-ish to 200+.  Why put the fresh grounds above water that still needs to heat up? Why not let the water reach the brewing temp separate from the grounds (as we do in every other method)?

www.lampmode.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Judge

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV,...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Compak K3...
Drip: Bunn VP-17, Breville...
Posted Sun Aug 10, 2008, 2:57pm

lifeandpeace Said:

PhilosoGeek,

This is my thinking (and others'):

What other method of coffee brewing heats the coffee grounds as the water is heating before it actually brews?

It's pretty much universally acknowledged that to heat the coffee after roasting and before brewing is not good.

This is what I mean: If I set the basket in the bottom, screw on the top, and set it on the stove, the grounds are getting heated--unnecessarily. The water has to go from 80-ish to 200+.  Why put the fresh grounds above water that still needs to heat up? Why not let the water reach the brewing temp separate from the grounds (as we do in every other method)?

Posted August 10, 2008 link

That makes sense thanks for the information I will give it a try and see if I notice a difference.
bassmannate

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 11, 2008, 8:19pm

I've tried pre-heating the water in my Brikka before. I don't get great results as while it does take less time, it usually explodes and spews coffee EVERYWHERE. Might be different for a regular moka but I just went right back to using cold water.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
ristrettolungo
ristrettolungo

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (non-PID)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Timer
Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 2:36am

BTW, how do you increase the temperature of the milk froth other than sticking the whole cup into the microwave after the brew?  I use cold milk straight from the fridge and the Mukka Express doesn't heat the milk enough (4-5 mins on the stove as recommended).  The froth cools the hot coffee and gives me a cup of lukewarm cap everytime.
bassmannate

Posted Tue Aug 12, 2008, 9:08am

You could maybe try microwaving the milk before you start the brew process. Not sure what that would do as far as foam since milk tends to foam better when cold but it's not exactly the most ideal method of foaming milk either. May still work just as well with hot milk.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
ovcatto

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Aug 14, 2008, 5:28pm

I don't wish to side track the thread with my own problem but it is so similar that I hesitate to start a whole new thread.

For quite some time I have been using a cheap aluminum Risoli which has made so very satisfactory coffee, but I just can't stand the build-up of crud and mineral deposits. So, I purchased a Vev Vigano 2 cup stainless steel pot and but the coffee is just not as good.

The major difference between the two in that the Risoli basket holds at least 3 tablespoons of coffee while the Vev Vigano holds only 1.5 tablespoons. The water chambers hold roughly the same amount of water, 7 oz, but the coffee they make are very different.

Obviously the greater the amount of coffee the stronger the brew, so I suspect that this is the main problem (I've done side by side controlled test)  but I can't find a stainless steel model that has uses the more tha 1.5 tablespoons of coffee.

Any ideas? Perhaps going to a 3 cup model and using a tab less water?
Anthorn

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 1:57am

OP: I'm guessing you're not only using pre-ground but also 100% Arabica beans in the Bialetti which will make coffee with a body akin to dishwater. Try a medium roast blend of Arabica and Robusta. My own personal favourite is Lavazza Qualita Rossa which is available in whole beans. I also think that the Moka Express is the best (and usually the cheapest) Bialetti stove-top.
Anthorn

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 2:05am

I shouldn't think that microwaving frothy milk will affect it. I use a glass jar to froth milk and microwave it. Take a large jar, quarter filled with milk, screw on the lid and shake till it doubles in size, remove the lid and then microwave it. Simple.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bialetti weak...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284140825272)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+