Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Baratza Encore + Espro Press OR Baratza Virtuoso + Bodum Chambord?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza Encore +...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
johnnyb3

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 1:01pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Encore + Espro Press OR Baratza Virtuoso + Bodum Chambord?

I'd cast another vote for the better grinder and the worse device, just on general principles and not being familiar with the Espro. I am familiar with lesser grinders and the difficulty they have in producing a uniform coarse grind. With all due respect to emradguy, who always posts thoughtfully and correctly, I wonder whether he might not feel differently did he not use the Lido, which is by all accounts an excellent grinder and one that is specifically designed for a coarse grind.
 View Profile Link to this post
VernS

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 2:30pm

My vote is for the Espro press, although the refurbished Virtuoso and Espro is the optimum choice.

I have 3 sizes of Bodum presses and just received my second Espro press (18 oz) last Tues. I certainly enjoy Bodum press coffee, but find that the Espro makes a bigger difference than grinders that I have used for the Espro. For me, the Espro is less dependant on grind consistency than other presses.

For example, while visiting family this week that have a Bodum press and the poorly rated Cuisinart grinder, I chose to bring my Espro, rather than a hand grinder.
Atriya

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 4:51pm

johnnyb3 Said:

I'd cast another vote for the better grinder and the worse device, just on general principles and not being familiar with the Espro. I am familiar with lesser grinders and the difficulty they have in producing a uniform coarse grind. With all due respect to emradguy, who always posts thoughtfully and correctly, I wonder whether he might not feel differently did he not use the Lido, which is by all accounts an excellent grinder and one that is specifically designed for a coarse grind.

Posted September 3, 2013 link

Just a sudden bright idea - it appears that the Lido costs around $165? If it is really such a great grinder, couldn't I get the Lido instead of the Encore or Virtuoso? I don't mind hand grinders at all, and I could probably get Lido + Espro...
coffeeguydenton

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 6:31pm

Atriya Said:

Okay, so emradguy: you testify that the difference between the Bodum and Espro is huge, whereas tglodjo: you testify that there will be some in-cup difference between the Encore and the Virtuoso, but not huge.

Going by that would seem to suggest Encore + Espro.

At any rate, I'll wait till Thursday for more opinions, and new refurbs to come in.

Thanks all!

Keep in mind that emradguy is comparing the Espro and Bodum being used with a quality grinder.  If you have a cheaper grinder, the grinder and not the brewer will be the limiting factor.  Always invest in the grinder first.  The Encore is sufficient for some purposes, but Virtuoso is considerably better for FP based on my reading.  Don't skimp on the grinder.  You can always come back and add the Espro down the road.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 6:47pm

Yes, I also considered that maybe it was the fact that I have a Lido...which is why I made sure to mention that. As far as getting one...OE is currently redesigning it. I'm sure the new ones will be even better, but iirc, they won't be out until October.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my post history, Johnny! I really appreciate it

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Atriya

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 7:04pm

emradguy Said:

Yes, I also considered that maybe it was the fact that I have a Lido...which is why I made sure to mention that. As far as getting one...OE is currently redesigning it. I'm sure the new ones will be even better, but iirc, they won't be out until October.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my post history, Johnny! I really appreciate it

Yes, I noticed that the Lido 2 will be out in mid-October. Assuming it costs around the same ~$165 and produces a grind comparable in quality to the Preciso, which is ~$300, it seems almost too good to be true.

I think it would be ideal for me to go with Lido 2 + Espro, and within my budget too. What do you think, @emradguy? I'm sure the Lido >> Encore, at a similar price? The manual / electric thing is a non-factor for me.

Till October, I can easily make do with pre-ground coffee or something in my Espro. I've always been a tea drinker, so it's not like I'll miss good coffee... the only coffee I've made at home so far is Nescafe instant coffee. ;)
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 7:28pm

My vote is for the better grinder. I recently bought a refurbished Virtuoso 586, the one with the upgraded Preciso burr set, from the Baratza website. All I can say is that the difference between the Virtuoso and my Hario Mini hand grinder is huge. I tested out the coarse grind with my Bodum Chambord over the weekend, and the results were truly stunning. You hear it all the time that a consistent grind really makes the difference, and it's blatantly obvious when you have the ability to compare side-by-side.

That said, I have not used an Encore before. I'm sure it's a great grinder, but for me, the Virtuoso refurbished was in my budget and all the anecdotal as well as test data indicated the Virtuoso had a more consistent grind with less fines at the coarse end. Given that my main brew methods are french press and drip, the Virtuoso 586's characteristics and price point sealed the deal.

Also, as one other poster noted, check Baratza's site on Thursday mornings for updated refurbs. I bought the Virtuoso 586 for $175 but had to wait a few weeks to snag one.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 7:38pm

I'm very happy with my Lido + Espro setup. I played around with dose and grind settings and went through various extraction times. After using this combo for...oh, about 6-7 months, I've got a solid routine down pat.  I'm using the setup at work. My water source is a 5 gallon bottle dispenser. It's good tasting water. The hot dispenser delivers at 175F. I use that to preheat my cup and press, while I weight out beans. I only have the small press. I use 20g to 300 ml water. Once my beans are weighed and in the Lido, I dump the 300ml from the press back into a Pyrex measuring cup (2 cups size), then stick it in the microwave for one minute. It comes out at 200F a few seconds after I get my grounds into the press (so it takes me about 45seconds to do the grinding). I cover the grounds to wet them and let the bloom go for 20 seconds (stopwatch function on my phone), then pour the rest of the water in. At 90 sec, I swirl the press gently, to make sure all the grounds are wet and the foam settles, then just barely put the filters on top ( no plunging yet). At 5 minutes, I plunge gently, then pour the coffee into my prewarmed cup (I have to dump the hot water into thePyrex pitcher first though). I use the technique described by Randy Glass (frcn here) on his website espressomyespresso.com for getting the rest of the coffee out after pouring seems done. The coffee is fantastic! I've had a lot of Ethiopian Yirgacheffe this way. Had some Hawaiian SO from Klatch, some Don Pachi Panama, Panama Carmen Estate (both from Klatch, both great, but neither worth the money to me - but hey, now I can say i've tried beans that go for almost $100/#) Chromatic Shadow Puppet, currently doing some Guatemalan Bella Carmona I got from Red Bird. I don't know if it will translate to the Lido 2, but I've pretty much settled on a grind setting of 2 1/2 for my press.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 8:34pm

The Bodum style press became obsolete when Espro released their first press. I find the sludge in the cup from the traditional press quite nasty. I have an independent review of the Espro on my website. While a better grinder is a universal recommendation, the Espro will do a much better job filtering out the problems from a lesser grinder. So my vote is Espro + the best grinder you can afford.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 11:45am

emradguy Said:

My pleasure. Thanks to you for all the good info!

Change my vote to Lido + Espro if that's on the table.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Baratza Encore +...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.328819990158)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+