Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
a non- geek coffee lover needing help finding a 'grind and brew' machine
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > a non- geek...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffeelessincaldwell

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 7:31am
Subject: a non- geek coffee lover needing help finding a 'grind and brew' machine

My former boyfriend had a great 10 year old Capresso 'grind and brew' coffee machine.  I hated to have to leave it when I left him so bought a Capresso 464 when on my own.  In fact, I bought two of them and returned both because they both had a terrible burning plastic smell coming from the water reservoir that contaminated the coffee.  I've also tried a Cuisinart DGB 625 that I got for about $100 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  That one is going back too:  there are seven different parts to be washed each day.  Call me lazy but I don't want to do that.  The coffee wasn't even that good.  Any recommendations  on a 'grind and brew machine'.  The Capresso cost $240 with shipping so I guess that's about my price limit. I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
 View Profile Link to this post
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 11:24am
Subject: Re: a non- geek coffee lover needing help finding a 'grind and brew' machine

Hi i just bought a refurbished Technivorm KBT-741 off eBay for $150 shipped.  I am blown away by the quality of coffee. This was just recommended to me by another member who has bought the same refurbished ones off eBay. The model that i got looks brand new. I experimented with store bought pre ground coffee and there was a dramatic difference that yielded a nice drinkable cup.  

At The refurbished price range it leaves you money for a cheap burr grinder that would give you possibly the best drip coffee combo for the money.  I'd avoid all in one grind and brew coffee makers. Poor quality and expensive. Individual components are better quality and would leave you stranded if something breaks.

I bought the  "Technivorm Moccamaster KBT 741 Thermal Brewers in Polished Silver" from soccerhfish from eBay and its as good as new.  I now used freshly roasted and ground beans and its a superior brew from anything have tried in a home machine. Cheaper and far better than the cuisinart grind and brew i bought for my family.

Good luck.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 11:33am
Subject: Re: a non- geek coffee lover needing help finding a 'grind and brew' machine

Do you have a budget?  

Is there some reason you are limiting yourself to a single machine that grinds and brews?

You typically can get better quality from each component buying separates.  Also, if one part stops working, you only have to replace it, rather than tossing your entire system.  Another thing is, with many grinders suitable for drip, you can change the setting for an occasional french press, pourover or syphon brew.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
RoyceRuiz

Posted Fri Aug 30, 2013, 11:34am

If I had to buy one it would be the Breville Youbrew.  You would be better off with a separate grinder but if you absolutely must set a timer this is the machine I would get.  If your willing to go seperate for about the same price you could get a Bonavita brewer and a Baratza Encore grinder.  Or you could step up to a Behmor Brazen Brewer or a Technivorm Brewer.
coffeelessincaldwell

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 5:00pm

Thank you to everyone who responded to my original post about a 'grind and brew' machine.  I will look into the Technivorm machine that was recommended.  To answer why I am limiting myself to 'grind and brew' I guess that it's because, as I said before, I am lazy: it just seemed like a simpler process.  But I will consider well all your advice to go for a coffee maker and separate grinder. I have heard about the Breville machine that one of you mentioned but I read somewhere that it is very large and I don't have a lot of counter space.  Thanks again
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 5:05pm

I don't think it's much work to press a button or flip a switch to grind then dump the grounds into your brewer. Once you start doing it you'll probably agree.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Angman
Angman

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Sun Sep 1, 2013, 8:53pm

Just a FYI as well. My parents grind and brew is a pain to take apart and clean. You still need to do this regardless of machine. The Technivorm seems cheap with all its plastic pieces but those are meant to be taken off for easy cleaning and replacement. The guts of the machine is solid and very well built.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > a non- geek...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.255603075027)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+