Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
The Chemex 3 cup: complete pain in the #@$?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > The Chemex 3...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mjoe

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 3:12pm
Subject: The Chemex 3 cup: complete pain in the #@$?

So I have a couple of these 3 cup Chemex. This is is the super small size they sell that uses the half moon filters. I was considering using them for my small coffee shop. However, no matter how I try, I cant seem to get this brew right. I have some theories.. but would love any advice from anyone who has used these (FYI.. it was not my decision to buy this small model, but I dont want to waste them or turn them into vases).

The traditional Chemex proportions dont come out right when scaled down.. so are my possible reasons:

1. Chemex simply works best at a minimum baseline of water and coffee.. the 6 cup model being the smallest. Beyond that, scaling down proportionally just doesnt work.  I have noticed that few of the chemex "experts" ever make mention of the 3 cup model in demonstrating how their methods adjust to the various sizes. Its this the laughing stock model?

2. The filter itself is designed differently and made of different paper density. Density may also be a problem because the filter has multiple folds right at the tip where the half moon is located (once folded).

3. The "chokepoint" on this model channels too densely ..this is about the glass itself, vs the filter..  anyone who has used this will note that the filter drops down far into the vessel..into a very tight point.. and that the hole it passes through is much smaller than in the larger models. Is this just creating a super fast channel

so any thoughts.. am i just botching it.. has anyone been able to brew seriously good (not just passable) coffee on this tiny 3 cup model?

Thanks
MJ
 View Profile Link to this post
jaybar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Sep 2, 2013, 8:11pm
Subject: Re: The Chemex 3 cup: complete pain in the #@$?

I made some good, but not excellent cups.Grind as you would for a larger chemex. However, with a larger chemex, I tened to use a continuos pour or a pulsepour with about 200g of water at a time, maybe less. The smaller chemex demands slower pours (MUCH) and/or more frequent and smaller pulses.

I found the folding to be a pain and the width of the upper part, where you pured into, rather narrow and awkward. Please be cautious about those negatives. I have an eye-hand coordination and vision problem. Otheres might find it easier.

I gave up.

I am now brewing with the Kalita Wave for single 12 ounce mugs.

All the best,

Jay
mjoe

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 12:57pm

Sorry to hear that.. but also glad in that it confirms some of my frustrations with this particular model. I am getting to the point where  I might also give up.

One of the other things I also noticed (not sure if you did) was that even when I folded those half moons perfectly, they wouldnt  always sit in the top half correctly.. meaning that there would often be gaps, air pockets, or spaces where the paper was several mm (possibly more) off the glass. I assume this also creates inconsistent flow patterns.
jaybar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 1:16pm

I did not notice the issue you raised in your last post, but might not have seen it given my vision. My issue is a general coordination issue. If you want to continue using the small Chemex, there are some well respected roasters who also sell that model. Perhaps you might want to purchase their coffee and at the same time, discuss technique with them as it relates to the small Chemex.

After many cycles of trying the small Chemex, deciding it was not for me, getting rid of it and then wanting to try again, I finally accepted I can't handle it.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > The Chemex 3...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.205775976181)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+