Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Taming Static with the Baratza Virtuoso
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Taming Static...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
PandaMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 12:02pm
Subject: Taming Static with the Baratza Virtuoso

Hi all,

I just received my refurbished Baratza Virtuoso 586 earlier this week. I'm surprised by the amount of grounds that are retained due to static build up - between 1 and 2 grams. I have both a cheap blade grinder and a Hario Mini Mill Slim and neither of them retain the amount of grounds that the Virtuoso does. There's also quite a bit of grounds that scatter around my counter top when I pour the grounds from the bin into the coffee filter. Does anyone else experience this issue and what have you done to tame the static build up?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 2:52pm
Subject: Re: Taming Static with the Baratza Virtuoso

How dark is the coffee you are grinding? I have no static issues at all on mine while grinding light roasted stuff, and I lose about a tenth of a gram.
PandaMatic

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 9:07pm

squaremile Said:

How dark is the coffee you are grinding? I have no static issues at all on mine while grinding light roasted stuff, and I lose about a tenth of a gram.

Posted August 24, 2013 link

I've ground two dark roasts so far: a Nicaraguan from a local roaster and Pete's Major Dickason's Blend.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 10:44pm

Well obviously a Hario Slim will have like 0 retention lol (I have one too), as it's a small hand grinder and grinds drop immediately into the bottom container, and a blade grinder all the mashed up bean grinds are left on the top and you just dump them out.

Static could be a number of things, but even if it's a gram or two, that's actually very low and a positive to the Barataza line (the low retention in all their grinders). Other grinders can have like 3-4 X that amount retained regardless of static. But darker roast will be affected more (by static) and depends on your weather conditions. South FL is humid and usually the summer time I get more retention, but I grind 16g doses (single dosing) and always get like 15.8-16.1 or so, sometimes a little more or a little less, today had one dose that said 15.5g when I weighed the bin, I just threw 1 bean in and tipped the grinder and weighed at 16g after. In the winter time, it's almost always accurate to .1 gram especially if using say a medium roast.

I'm guessing the Nica is dark as a lot of people roast that dark, and Pete's is almost always too dark teetering on burnt.

You could try the RDT (ross droplet technique on home-barista). Some put a drop or two of water with the beans or lightly spritz with one of those small alcohol bottle to tame static in other grinders.
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 11:46am

PandaMatic Said:

I just received my refurbished Baratza Virtuoso 586 earlier this week. I'm surprised by the amount of grounds that are retained due to static build up - between 1 and 2 grams. I have both a cheap blade grinder and a Hario Mini Mill Slim and neither of them retain the amount of grounds that the Virtuoso does. There's also quite a bit of grounds that scatter around my counter top when I pour the grounds from the bin into the coffee filter. Does anyone else experience this issue and what have you done to tame the static build up?

I have 4 similar Baratza grinders in my family and non of us seem to have a static problem as you describe.

…and I know all about static from my old Braun grinder.  Grinds were everywhere, on the counter, on the floor and …on me.

What Baratza recommended was that periodically I should wash out the plastic hopper with a bit of liquid soap and water.  Their hoppers are treated with some sort of anti-static coating and should not go in the dishwasher.  If, after washing, your hopper still has gram quantities of grinds still sticking to it, you might consider ordering a new hopper.  It should not be too expensive.

Jerry
PandaMatic

Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 12:37pm

Thank you both for the tips. They're sending me a new bin for an unrelated reason. (The bin looks like it's seen better days, so my guess is that the previous owner didn't care for it properly.) I'll be trying the RDT in the meantime, but hopefully a the new bin solves the problem. :)
Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 5:18am
Subject: .

PandaMatic

Posted Mon Aug 26, 2013, 7:39pm

Thanks, the RDT actually works. On a related note, I received the new bin today, and sadly, while in much better shape, the grounds retention left a lot to be desired.

Netphilosopher, once you spray the beans, do you shake them up to get the water more evenly coated over each surface? I've read some posts where people seem to be advocating that particular technique, so just curious.
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 5:57am
Subject: .

PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Sat Aug 31, 2013, 9:46am

This came up some years back with another Baratza grinder and inspired this string:  "What a mess..."

In the string I showed how I tamed the static in a POC pseudo burr machine which was as bad as the infamous Braun.  It is still a POC grinder but static is no longer an issue.

Phil

PandaMatic Said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Taming Static...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313239812851)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+