Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Hario V60 speed
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hario V60 speed  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Lee_M
Lee_M
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Sun Aug 11, 2013, 9:12am
Subject: Re: Hario V60 speed

If you're pulse-pouring, there is essentially no limit to how much you can extend your brew times. I would try something like:

1. Add 25g of water.
  2. At 0:45, add 75g of water.
  3. At 1:30, add 50g of water.
  4. At 2:15, add 50g of water.

Your total brew time will probably be around 2:30 - 2:45, which is (IMO) a reasonable brew time for a v60. If the cup tastes under-extracted, you can increase extraction by stirring one or more times.
 View Profile Link to this post
UGEN

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 6:22am

Lee_M Said:

If you're pulse-pouring, there is essentially no limit to how much you can extend your brew times. I would try something like:

Add 25g of water.
At 0:45, add 75g of water.
At 1:30, add 50g of water.
At 2:15, add 50g of water.

Your total brew time will probably be around 2:30 - 2:45, which is (IMO) a reasonable brew time for a v60. If the cup tastes under-extracted, you can increase extraction by stirring one or more times.

Posted August 11, 2013 link

Thanks Lee for the tip I will try that method!

If I'm brewing 200ml water 15g coffee for one cup for around 2 minutes how would I brew twice the amount?

Do I increase both the amount of coffee and brew time so, 30g for 4 minutes or do I simply double the coffee and still brew for the 2 minutes?
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 10:38pm

Come on dude, I posted that same thing on the 5th post in this thread ;)
sgnoobie

Grinder: HMMS
Drip: v60 02
Roaster: Blue Bottle, Ritual,...
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:37am

So I just posted a Hario video when I came across this thread....

When I first started out with the Hario 02 awhile back, I also had the problem of fast flow throughs....I knew my grind was right though because it was just a tad more coarse than what I use for Espresso. What I found REALLLLLY helped me out was to pour ONLY the amount I needed for that pour into my kettle. i.e. for my initial 50g bloom there is only 50g of water in the pouring kettle, next only 75g of water for my first pulse, etc.

Because the kettle was so light, I found that I was able to control my pours much better. Hope this helps!
chevman_online

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Capresso 560 Infinity...
Posted Thu Aug 28, 2014, 11:24am

Just got a Hario V60 02 and tried my first brew using the following settings:

16 oz water total
28 grams coffee on finest medium grind setting
2:30 total brew time (including bloom)

Product tasted a little odd, not even sure how to characterize it.  Maybe a little bitter/weak.

Any thoughts on what to tweak from here?  I'm thinking try a slightly finer grind tmw morning.

Any insight is much appreciated.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Thu Aug 28, 2014, 1:17pm

Yes, going finer sounds like a good plan.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014, 6:49am

Personally, I find that when brewing less than the designed volume from a brewer, I need to use more coffee per "cup". Most brewers are designed to operate properly at the full volume. For smaller batches, the cone shape and drain holes are a little big for reduced standard "formula" brews.

Grind a little finer and add a little more coffee.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
chevman_online

Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014, 7:04am

Ground a little finer this morning with about the same results.  Still took about 2:30 total brew time.

Wayne - what water/coffee ratio do you use for Hario V60?
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Aug 29, 2014, 7:24am

chevman_online Said:

Ground a little finer this morning with about the same results.  Still took about 2:30 total brew time.

Posted August 29, 2014 link

OK, so to slow the brew down, you can grind finer still and/or break up the pour into smaller stages...if you're adding all the water in one hit,  use 2 equal pours, or if using 2 equal pours try 3 pours...and so on. This will also help keep the slurry temperature up, whilst extracting more thoroughly for a given grind, as you use more pour stages. Just let the bed completely drain out after the last pour.
chevman_online

Posted Thu Sep 4, 2014, 5:06am

MWJB Said:

OK, so to slow the brew down, you can grind finer still and/or break up the pour into smaller stages...if you're adding all the water in one hit,  use 2 equal pours, or if using 2 equal pours try 3 pours...and so on. This will also help keep the slurry temperature up, whilst extracting more thoroughly for a given grind, as you use more pour stages. Just let the bed completely drain out after the last pour.

Posted August 29, 2014 link

Yeah, I'm basically doing 2 or 3 separate pours as is.

Tried again this morning with a slightly finer grind, using new, fresh(er) coffee (same beans as before, just a new batch from the grocery).

Took about 2:45 for the entire bloom+pour and tasted quite a bit better, so I'm thinking some of what I was tasting may have been stale beans.

Should be getting a super fresh batch of beans today from my normal, local roaster, so will post thoughts on how those taste in a couple days.

Thanks for all the tips, appreciate the help.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hario V60 speed  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290012121201)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+