Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Hand Grinder Besides Lido or Rosco Mini Grinder for Syphon
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hand Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
garrett17

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: capresso, OE Lido, Hario...
Vac Pot: belgium royal coffee maker
Roaster: fresh roast sr500
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 4:17am
Subject: Hand Grinder Besides Lido or Rosco Mini Grinder for Syphon

Hi,

I need a recommendation. I know the topic of manual grinders can get repetitive but hopefully my question won't be as I am using a balancing syphon. I do not use any other brewing method so I will never need to adjust it for a different grind.

I grind 35 grams of roasted whole bean at a time. It is done 2 times per day (men and women are doing the grinding). I am looking to spend up to $400 for a manual hand grinder. It cannot be ground between the knees, rather it must be done standing up. I have been using the OE Lido and I am really happy with it but OE is out of stock for a few months and I need a few grinders now.

I looked at the Rosco but my questions were not responded to regarding time to grind 35 grams, lead and delivery time and pricing so this is not an option.

In short, I suspect the Lido and Rosco are the two answers everyone would normally give but now I need a third choice.

Last but not least I purchased the Hario Skerton and it took forever to grind 35 grams at a medium fine to find grind. The grind size I use is about the size of sugar granules.  Whereas the Lido takes about 1 - 1.5 minutes. This is the time frame I am looking for.

Could any of the new Zassenhaus' work? I contacted the company directly in Germany and they responded immediately! They suggested the Lima, but it appears the capacity is 30 grams (I need 35). Brasila but this is geared for knees and the Santiago which looks like I need to place it on a table. I prefer it to be hand held as I am afraid the glasses on a table will shake and potentially fall off but maybe I am worrying for nothing?

What do you suggest? I am open to anything at this point.

Thanks,
Blake
 View Profile Link to this post
sgnoobie

Grinder: HMMS
Drip: v60 02
Roaster: Blue Bottle, Ritual,...
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:40am
Subject: Re: Hand Grinder Besides Lido or Rosco Mini Grinder for Syphon

A few grinders? Is this for home use or in a commercial setting?

Is a Hario Slim not an option?
garrett17

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 5:07am

I wrote on my bio that I own a Hario Skerton. I have to admit I used for one day only as I thought it was inadequate because it took a long time to grind the beans and the capacity was less than 35 grams if my recollection serves me right. In reflection I think I made a mistake and in fact I own the Mini. So to answer your question, the Mini is not suitable for the reasons I provided.

The coffee is served in a commercial setting but only once or twice a day and only for one grind setting. The reason I need many grinders is that I use it in a few places simultaneously but they are all commercial settings.

If you have any other suggestions I am all ears!
sgnoobie

Grinder: HMMS
Drip: v60 02
Roaster: Blue Bottle, Ritual,...
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 4:13am

Look at the Porlex grinders...You may need the normal/bigger size one for 35grams but I'm not sure about that.

They are supposed to be more efficient than the Hario's in term of grinding turns. I just could never justify buying one since the Hario slim for me is almost perfect in terms of grind consistency and price.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 5:22am

I have used a Porlex to grind 30g plus, but it was a hell-for-leather race against a full, boiling kettle (~4mins). It's a great grinder at finer settings (less than 1.5 turns out) and smaller doses (<20g).

Depending on bean, you can often get 35g in a Porlex, but I don't think it really suits garrett17's remit.
garrett17

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 9:00am

4 minutes to grind is too long. This is for a restaurant and nobody wants to watch staff stand around grinding and sweating for 4 minutes unfortunately. I was thinking of taking a handle off and just placing an electric screwdriver over it but while that is efficient it is not very classy.

SGNoobie I really appreciate your suggestion and the follow up from MWJB but I am starting to wonder if I have possibly stumped the coffeegeek forum? I hope not!

I know my problem can be solved once the new Lido comes out but I just need something to get me through for the next few months. Perhaps if I hire someone who can grind coffee and tap dance at the same time it could distract from the time it takes to grind?
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 8:51pm

The new Comandante grinders are coming out soon--not sure if that's true in Thailand though. Check their Facebook page for the latest info. Otherwise, vintage grinders are an option. See here, for example: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
garrett17

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 9:17pm

JBVIAU you are awesome! The traditional grinders you pointed out all seem to be used between the knees so that will not work and many others rest on a table and that won't work either. Finally, I am hesitant in buying an old grinder unless it is from someone I can trust as I do not have the time to do the refurbishment on my own (although I think it would be fun to do).

However, I did look at the Comandante and that looks fantastic! I just wrote to them so I hope they respond right away. Thank you for coming up with a option that I have never heard of before. I knew posting on this site had its merits. :)

Have you tried the Comandante grinder yourself?
garrett17

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 9:24pm

I am wondering if anyone has used the Hario clear coffee grinder? Here is a video on Youtube that was sent to me: Click Here (www.youtube.com)
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 6:06am

Re: the Clear, a *little* more: http://www.home-barista.com/advice/hario-clear-t27044.html

I did play a bit with a Comandante prototype in April. I liked it but didn't have a chance to do serious testing. Some refinements to the design have been made since then, I understand. A few comments can be found here: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hand Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273081064224)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+