Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Hario V60 speed
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hario V60 speed  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
UGEN

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 11:14pm
Subject: Hario V60 speed

Hello I've been looking here for a while but finally signed up.  I've recently bought a 2 cup hario V60 dripper thinking that it would benefit me over the 1 cup. However I'm finding it hard to brew for around 200ml of water with a grind suitable for filter. The brew times haven't exceeded much past 1.00-1.30 before 200ml of water has been used and I feel the extraction time is not quite long enough. I have also tried grinding finer but that only results in bitterness. Does the 1 cup hario have a much smaller hole and the tip of the cone? I'm thinking the 2 cup is the wrong choice as the hole is too large and the coffee filters too quickly. Even when I bloom the water drains too fast to last 30 seconds. I thought it would be better getting the 2 cup so I could use it to make both single cup and multiple cups. Any advice :)?
 View Profile Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 1:56am
Subject: Re: Hario V60 speed

Hi Ugen,

Your short brew times are because the grind is too coarse, I'd stick with the larger 02 for now, changing cones won't be a magic fix.

You don't say how much coffee you are using, for 200g brew water start with 13g (+/- 0.5g), or try a larger dose of 15-18g and 220-260g hot brew water.

I assume that you are using a pouring kettle? Once you have a decent amount of water in the dripper, keep the pour in the centre. The cone can drain all the way down it's height, unless you are careful you can overextract some grounds & still end up with a weak cup.

You could also try breaking the pour down into stages, like 16g coffee, then 50g water every 30 seconds, drained by 2:30?

There are lots of differing methods, find one that gives you a reasonable result then hone it.

Try blooming with a little under 2g of water per g of grinds in the bed, see if you can bloom without any water coming out?
UGEN

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 5:30am

Yes I thought that too but when I tried to make the grind more fine it just increased the bitterness and did not really extend the brew time very much! I was using around 16g for 200ml of water too and getting brew times for about 1.30! If I poured any slower the water would filter too fast and leave the coffee almost "dry" in the cone! I was also blooming with a little more than that ratio but I will try a little less. I just thought maybe using the 1 cup cone with the same 16g with 200ml of water ratio would filter slower with the slightly smaller hole and extend the brew time a little more!
MWJB

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 6:17am

I wouldn't think that an 01 cone is going to help matters with a 16g dose, I'm sure it *can* work & does in the real world, but I'd aim to use smaller doses in the 01 cone (~8-13g?).

16g coffee and 200g water is a high brew ratio, if the water is gushing through you may be very underextracted, there may be points of a higher yield, whilst still underextracted, that taste bitter, before you get to the sweet juicy range. At this ratio your coffee will be very strong at a good extraction yield (you might like that), grind finer and maybe up the water added to ~240g. I don't go much by brew times, but perhaps aim for at least 2:30 drain time (+/- 10secs)?
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 9:22am

I always do a pulse pour method with the v60. Meaning, I take the total brew water, divide by 8, and add that in 20sec increments (last increment in at 2:20). If it's gets really low in between each pour, maybe I"ll grind a touch finer next time, but just stick with the clock and you will be OK. Remember to pour very gently each time too. Finally, if you dont have a pouring kettle, this is all going to be very difficult. If you do have one, you could look into a flow restrictor, which can slow the rate of water from the kettle.
oktyone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 3:59pm

I have both a V60-01 and a V60-02 and can confirm that yes, the hole is smaller on the 01.

I usually brew 250 to 350 ml and rarely use my 02, it works perfectly for that, i feel the 01 allows me to play with brew time far more than i can with the 02, i've done brews as short as 02:00+bloom to even 04:00+bloom and this is using a continuous pour, such longer brews are possible even with a medium-coarse grind, it's just a matter of having good pour control.

I only use the 02 when brewing more than 400ml 26g.
UGEN

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 9:00pm

Thanks for all your tips. I have tried adjusting the grind further and pour rate and still think it is draining to quickly to brew properly and adjusting to a finer grind to slow down the rate only increases harsh flavours. I may have to buy a 1 cup and see if this suits my style better.

oktyone Said:

I usually brew 250 to 350 ml

I only use the 02 when brewing more than 400ml 26g.

Posted August 8, 2013 link

Interesting. The maximum I would be brewing would be around 400ml I would say anyway so maybe a 1 cup WAS the better choice
EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 10:15pm

I think you'd do fine with the 1 cup, i have two and usually brew with 14-16 g coffee for 200 g water.
charfiend

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: none
Grinder: 50s manual, blade, Cuisinart...
Drip: Krups, Melitta cone, french...
Posted Fri Aug 9, 2013, 11:50am

You didn't say what kind of grinder you're using. I have the same problem (with a Melitta cone) or even worse. The problem is my grinder -- even on the finest setting, you get a mix of sizes. The water just runs right through -- no bloom, no delay, just brown water out even with a few drips in.

I'd suggest the following, if you haven't already done this. Go to a decent coffee roaster and get a 1/2 lb and ask for it to be ground for a cone pour-over (quite fine drip). Do the pour-over as suggested: just enough to wet the grinds first. Check to see if any coffee comes out (it shouldn't). Then pour slowly avoiding the edges. If this works right, then you need a better grinder.

When I do the test above I get 2 minute or so for a one-cup pour-over, versus 30 sec for my own grind. It makes a huge difference in taste (and waste).

Hope that helps.
UGEN

Posted Sat Aug 10, 2013, 12:27am

charfiend Said:

You didn't say what kind of grinder you're using. I have the same problem (with a Melitta cone) or even worse. The problem is my grinder.

Posted August 9, 2013 link

I'm using a baratza preciso and I find the consistancy of the grind very good. So that's ruled out. I have gotten good brews from the v60-2 but as I can see the larger cone and hole are more suited for brewing larger volumes of coffee and water. I can slow my pour right down and use around 12g of coffee ground slightly finer than I like and still get brew times around 2minutes.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Hario V60 speed  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.25908613205)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+