Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Rediscovering ancient coffee
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Rediscovering...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jsdavies

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: breville barista express; la...
Grinder: breville and mr coffee...
Roaster: nesco home roaster
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 8:02am
Subject: Rediscovering ancient coffee

Hey guys,

First off, I appreciate all of your posts.  Its a bit intimidating because most of you are much more wise and have such an incredible database of knowledge for all things coffee.  I am young and have passion for coffee in all of its categories, but I am a novice compared to you all.

I have a high interest in visiting some area of Africa (preferably Rwanda or Ethiopia).  Have any of you been to spend time in coffee farms?  I have a high interest in attempting to make a drink that may have been the prototype of what we know as coffee.  From my research, it seems that the idea is that at first, people would make a juice from the berries with water and the coffee fruit with water.  

Have any of you tried coffee fruit?  What is the taste like?  Why don't you think that it is marketable?  I am just really interested in it since it seems to be the way that coffee originated.

Thanks for reading and sharing any thoughts!

Josh
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 8:50am
Subject: Re: Rediscovering ancient coffee

Josh,

Here's probably the best (and public domain) book I've seen about coffee history:
All About Coffee, by William H. Ukers

You might gain some insight and inspiration from there.  Have fun in Africa!
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 8:31am

Coffee comes from a fruit. You can see actually when you visit farms like in Nicaragua. It is cherry-like fruit that ripens over several weeks. When ready for picking, they are color red to a kind of deep and becoming sweeter as they mature. The taste is like watermelon and rosewater.

A research is made to develop the coffee fruit into a marketable product. By mixing fruit into exotic juices, then it can develop into a healthy antioxidant - rich beverage that tastes good.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 11:22am

Well you could try a tea made from the flesh of the coffee from verve.

Click Here (www.vervecoffeeroasters.com)

Less water, more grounds.
cgMike

Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 3:58am

Hi Josh. I'm very intrigued by your interest in the coffee fruit. I've often wondered myself if the berries or their juices could be marketed apart from their seeds.

I'm curious as to why you are interested in visiting Rwanda. Ethiopia makes sense to me because it's considered the birthplace of coffee. But Rwanda didn't start planting coffee trees until it became a Belgian colony. Anyway, you are welcome in Rwanda! I have been living here for the last two and a half years. It is a very beautiful and welcoming country.

Mike
Eastsideloco
Eastsideloco

Espresso: '74 Cremina, '91 Livietta...
Grinder: Vario-W, mid-century...
Vac Pot: Cona C, Kono PR 3, Hellem...
Drip: Kalita Wave, V60, Chemex,...
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 12:03pm

Yes, it can. Verve Coffee sells a sweetened "coffee cherry tea":

Click Here (www.vervecoffeeroasters.com)

(I see that Intrepid linked to this back in August, as well.) The closest taste taste analogue I can think of is rose hips.

Here's a recipe for making a concentrate that can be mixed with sparking water (Coffee Cherry Soda):

http://sprudge.com/cascara-soda-coffee-cherries.html
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 9:43am

Maybe I'm changing the subject, but is your point to visit Ethiopia or to learn more about coffee plants and experiment with other coffee "beverages"? I ask as it seems to me that Ethiopia or Ruanda are doing it the hard way if coffee is your priority. I have traveled extensively in the coffee growing areas of Mexico, Central America, and Hawaii. Coffee farms are readily accessible in all these areas and ripe coffee cherries of many strains would be easy to source. Good luck with your quest.
khuzdul

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 1:47pm

The fruit part of the coffee berry is too perishable to be able to survive picking/shipping & importing to be a viable berry for sale in grocery stores in countries far removed from the growing source.  The value of the coffee bean would also make any product that could get to market pretty expensive compared to other locally grown berries who's pits have no significant commercial value.  If doing a wet-process, while some juice can be captured in the de-pulping process, it is not much in terms of commercial juice quantities.  The rest of the moisture in the flesh that is stuck to the stone is not capture-able with the standard fermentation / washing process in a non-adulterated and/or FDA safe manner.  I don't know how anyone would get juice from the dry process, but perhaps saving the milled fruit and somehow re-hydrating it?

The taste of coffee fruit itself is pretty tasty if you figure out a way to commercialize it (need to deal with seasonality, ripening time, transportation, etc).  However just in Central America, if you walk around the coffee growing regions, there are a lot of other fruits in incredible diversity and taste that are not available in the US or Europe that might be easier to develop a commercial market for.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Rediscovering...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242794036865)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+