Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 268 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 12:04pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Netphilosopher Said:

I also have to keep re-adjusting my cap, especially if I don't use a disc. A disc helps reduce the pressure of squeezing the grounds making my cap convex.

"."

Posted August 1, 2013 link

I missed that post. Very interesting. I thought that the caps were supposed to be convex but when I got a second Aeropress I noticed that the new cap was flat. So you can reflatten it with the heat of boiling water? Mine hasn't been causing any problem... especially since I haven't even been using the cap.
 View Profile Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 2:09pm

Netphilosopher Said:

My preference now for using the AP as an extractor (not a steeper) and doing the steep in a mason jar or Pyrex is probably extending the life of my system.  I am starting to see crazing in the plastic where there is the most heat and pressure (right where the puck is).

I also have to keep re-adjusting my cap, especially if I don't use a disc. A disc helps reduce the pressure of squeezing the grounds making my cap convex.

"."

When I first made the AeroPress I stirred the coffee and hot water in a measuring cup, then poured the slurry into the press.  But after brewing this way for about a month I tried doing it all in the press.  I could not detect any reduction in brew quality, so this became the standard method -- one less item to rinse.

Regarding your crazing.  We will happily replace your chamber.  Just call our office 650-493-3050.

Best,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 2:52pm
Subject: ...

AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 3:31pm

Hi Net,

My goal behind the AeroPress was shorter wet time.  I theorized that this would reduce bitterness.  I found that it did, yet the brew had rich flavor.  

Now, eight years later, I still prefer short wet-time brewing.

Best,

Alan
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 5:23pm

AlanAdler Said:

My goal behind the AeroPress was shorter wet time.  I theorized that this would reduce bitterness.  I found that it did, yet the brew had rich flavor.  

Now, eight years later, I still prefer short wet-time brewing.

Speaking of short brewing time, is it normal to brew with one of those pre-packaged single serve cups so fast? Near the end of that video about the CajunCoffeePress the guy pushes the water through in about 2 seconds. I steep my instant coffee longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuS3FYRpI-g

It that normal for a k-cup type brewer?
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 8:03pm

^^^ John, no, I think there was some video magic going on there. Typical k-cup extraction times would be more like 40 sec. or so IIRC (depends on cup size, etc.).
CajunCoffeePress
CajunCoffeePress

Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 9:20pm

paulbel,

If the shipping is the only thing holding you back, when I get back to San Diego tomorrow I will see what I can do for our Canadian Neighbors!

Thanks,
CajunCoffeePress
CajunCoffeePress
CajunCoffeePress

Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 9:24pm

It actually is better to press a small amount and wet the grounds in the cup and then finish with a slower press.  This will give you a better extraction!  I did edit out some of the pressing to save time on the video.  I have noticed that the Kickstarter crowd does not seem to like long videos.
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 11:15pm

CajunCoffeePress Said:

paulbel,

If the shipping is the only thing holding you back, when I get back to San Diego tomorrow I will see what I can do for our Canadian Neighbors!

Thanks,
CajunCoffeePress

As I said above, I was interested enough to contribute, but I didn't see the merit in paying the same shipment to Thailand for Canada.
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013, 2:22am

jpender Said:

I have a question for those with lots of brewing experience.

I like the Aeropress. It's my go to brew method. Cheap, simple, forgiving, fast, portable. But for me it tends to produce coffee that is muted in flavor. Round, warm, smooth, easy to approach -- but not especially complex.

Posted April 30, 2013 link

90% of my coffee life is espresso, and if i didn't travel for a living, it would be more... BUT... what you present in this quote, particularly the part i bolded, is precisely what I like about the Aeropress.  i use it when i have old coffee that doesn't make the grade for espresso, but i can't bear throwing it away.  The Aeropress, using Alan's recipe exactly as he presents it, is far and away the most enjoyable way of drinking post-prime coffee, that I have tried.

-Peter
showing page 268 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.397182941437)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+