Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Stumptown's 'how to' for stovetop espresso makers -- pre-heating water, etc.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Stumptown's 'how...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 4:15pm
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 5:39pm
Subject: Re: Stumptown's 'how to' for stovetop espresso makers -- pre-heating water, etc.

Netphilosopher Said:

I nominate jp as moka pot expert.  +1

Posted August 5, 2013 link

I wish you'd stop doing that. It isn't true, at least as far as actually making moka is concerned. I've just poked probes into my moka pot more than the average brewer.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 6:04pm
Subject: Re: Stumptown's 'how to' for stovetop espresso makers -- pre-heating water, etc.

So many people consider Moka burnt coffee etc, even on here, their just not doing it right, I mean it's a simple process but so many things people do wrong (to long heat, not turning down heat, incorrect grind etc). I love Moka, really has such a unique rich taste with fresh beans. I've never had "burnt" Moka coffee cept' for maybe the 1st time I did it when I left it on heat too long.
mkraft

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Caffetiera stovetop...
Grinder: KitchenAid Pro Line...
Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 7:23pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

My view is "overkill" on both issues.  Use the darn things as instructed and you will get the best results.  It really isn't rocket science, why make it?

Actually, I'm not.  One of the points of my post was to highlight the variations in moka pot brewing 'instructions' from one source to another.  

I would otherwise agree with you about this not being 'rocket science' except for one mysterious fact:  I consistently get different results from moka pot-brewed coffee using the same brewing method.  As a result I've long wondered (& continue to wonder) what the reasons for the variations might be.

While the results are usually good anyway (almost never really 'bad'), whether or not looking into such mysteries is 'overkill' is in the eye of the beholder. I'd like to get the best brew I can from my stovetop, consistently, if I can figure out the 'rocket science.'
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 5:41am

Here is a "great" video on making moka pot using the scientific method by rocket scientist Ken Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaV1DLDmCm4

Enjoy!  (note:  you should wear facial protection when watching the video)

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 9:10am

mkraft Said:

I would otherwise agree with you about this not being 'rocket science' except for one mysterious fact:  I consistently get different results from moka pot-brewed coffee using the same brewing method.  As a result I've long wondered (& continue to wonder) what the reasons for the variations might be.

I wonder the same thing. Obviously we aren't using exactly the same brew method each time. Something must be varying, if only slightly. What is it? I've carefully measured coffee and water with a scale and thermometer and used the same stove setting and still get variations. Could it be the details of how the coffee is loaded into the funnel? If you figure it out let me know!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 12:54pm

jpender Said:

I wonder the same thing. Obviously we aren't using exactly the same brew method each time. Something must be varying, if only slightly. What is it? I've carefully measured coffee and water with a scale and thermometer and used the same stove setting and still get variations. Could it be the details of how the coffee is loaded into the funnel? If you figure it out let me know!

Posted August 6, 2013 link

How are you putting the grinds in the basket?  I put a couple heaping teaspoons in, rap it a bit on the side with the spoon, repeat until a bit under the top lip of the basket.  Level with spoon.  Make sure all gaskets are moistened with water, place basket in bottom chamber, make sure no grinds are on sealing surfaces, screw on top, place on electric burner on high, turn down to low when about 1/4 done. I grind very fine.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 2:08pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

How are you putting the grinds in the basket?  I put a couple heaping teaspoons in, rap it a bit on the side with the spoon, repeat until a bit under the top lip of the basket.  Level with spoon.

More or less like that.

Don't get me wrong, it's not as if every brew is a complete surprise. When I've got it dialed it's consistent. But the consistency is temporary. A new coffee often will change how things work. And sometimes it changes for no reason that I can comprehend. There have been times it's felt like I was trying to balance a pencil on its end.

I love moka when it works. But it's a kind of a retarded way to make coffee.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 2:59pm

jpender Said:

More or less like that.

Don't get me wrong, it's not as if every brew is a complete surprise. When I've got it dialed it's consistent. But the consistency is temporary. A new coffee often will change how things work. And sometimes it changes for no reason that I can comprehend. There have been times it's felt like I was trying to balance a pencil on its end.

I love moka when it works. But it's a kind of a retarded way to make coffee.

I have noticed that when changing from a city roast to a full city+ that the brew will be a bit slower coming out.  A similiar occurance happens when making espresso which you may have experienced when making your own espresso.  I don't know if "retarded" is the best term regarding its mechanics; I'd go more with "old school".

Len

CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 3:14pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Here is a "great" video on making moka pot using the scientific method by rocket scientist Ken Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaV1DLDmCm4

Enjoy!  (note:  you should wear facial protection when watching the video)

Len

oh god not that dingbat again lol. I should send that too all the Cuban familes/shops down here in South FL where Cuban coffee rules the roast... mean roost heh. They may hunt him down lol. My fiances a psychologist, and at work they have a Cuban employee who makes rounds at around 2:00 and makes everyone cafecitos, cafe con leche etc, and yes only with Bustelo or Pilon and only demerara sugar
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Stumptown's 'how...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.379117012024)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+