Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Technivorm Overheating?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
prairiedog

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 6:22pm
Subject: Technivorm Overheating?

I have a Technivorm KBT-741 that has brewed good coffee for a few years.  Lately, some batches come out of the machine steaming.  The coffee is hotter than normal and tastes thin.  It doesn't do it every pot, but maybe every third or fourth pot.  I make one pot a day, so every pot is the first of the day.  I clean it about every 6 months.  I use RO water, and there is never any scale when I clean it.  Does it sound like my thermostat is going?  Any ideas?  Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
kinbote

Grinder: Vario
Drip: Technivorm, Kone
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 11:13pm
Subject: Re: Technivorm Overheating?

Unusual problem, haven't heard of this before with Technivorms. You might confirm that the water is actually hotter by comparing temps. at the spray head, over several pots. But that might be too much trouble. Instead, I'd contact Boyds (the authorized TV seller in the US, as far as I know). I've had to deal with Boyds concerning my own TV issues and they were helpful, but not amazing. Still, they're worth a shot. Good luck!
markm3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: UNIC Phoenix R...
Grinder: Bunn GBaratza,  Rossi...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn HG, Fetco...
Roaster: Counter Culture and Gimme
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 7:09am

AFAIK Technivorm has taken over distribution in the U.S. from Boyds.

Good luck.

info.us@moccamaster.com

Ah, found it.
Technivorm-Moccamaster USA Inc. is starting up sales and distribution effective from January 2013.

Technivorm-Moccamaster USA Inc.
100 Montgomery Street, Suite 1080
San Francisco, CA94104

855 662 2200
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 7:53am

prairiedog Said:

I have a Technivorm KBT-741 that has brewed good coffee for a few years.  Lately, some batches come out of the machine steaming.  The coffee is hotter than normal and tastes thin.  It doesn't do it every pot, but maybe every third or fourth pot.  I make one pot a day, so every pot is the first of the day.  I clean it about every 6 months.  I use RO water, and there is never any scale when I clean it.  Does it sound like my thermostat is going?  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Posted July 12, 2013 link

Have you contacted Technivorm about this?  They have a five year manufacturer's warranty (which you may already be aware of, but if not ...)

As an aside, have you inspected the water arm to make sure of no clogs that may affect water release?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
prairiedog

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:17am

Thanks for the advice.  I haven't actually measured the temperature.  That's next.  But, the coffee is noticeably hotter at times.  I checked the water arm and it has good flow from all the holes.  I tried calling Technivorm in San Francisco last week, but was a little late and missed them.  I'll try again tomorrow.  By the way, I looked up when I bought it - of course, it was 5-1/2 years ago.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 11:20am

prairiedog Said:

Thanks for the advice.  I haven't actually measured the temperature.  That's next.  But, the coffee is noticeably hotter at times.  I checked the water arm and it has good flow from all the holes.  I tried calling Technivorm in San Francisco last week, but was a little late and missed them.  I'll try again tomorrow.  By the way, I looked up when I bought it - of course, it was 5-1/2 years ago.

Posted July 14, 2013 link

5 1/2 years until you had an issue with it says alot about the quality of the machine.  I had a Bunn Phase Brew for about 2 days until it had to be sent back.  

Technivorm will likely address the problem to your satisfaction.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 6:33am

I'm trying to match up my understanding of how the machine works to a reason for how it could be "hotter" and I'm coming up short....... If I understand it right, the TV brings the water to a boil in the internal boiler, and then the act of boiling drives water up the tube and out the spray arm, where it comes out around 200 degree + or - a few degrees depending on your elevation.

You can't change the boil point unless you do something to change something in your water or something in your elevation. Are you using different water sources?

I don't think there is a thermostat internally, it just boils the water.

Disclaimer: I don't know 100% this is how this machine works, it was just my understanding. I could be wrong! :-)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 6:45am

infinus Said:

I'm trying to match up my understanding of how the machine works to a reason for how it could be "hotter" and I'm coming up short....... If I understand it right, the TV brings the water to a boil in the internal boiler, and then the act of boiling drives water up the tube and out the spray arm, where it comes out around 200 degree + or - a few degrees depending on your elevation.

You can't change the boil point unless you do something to change something in your water or something in your elevation. Are you using different water sources?

Disclaimer: I don't know 100% this is how this machine works, it was just my understanding. I could be wrong! :-)

Posted July 15, 2013 link

The machine has a water level sensor that does not allow the boiler to activate unless there is over 4 oz water in the system.  This prevents the system from boiling dry.  Besides that, I do not know the mechanics.

Len

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 12:58pm

infinus Said:

Posted July 15, 2013 link

I think you're right. The hydraulic system is designed to work in exactly that way, and like you I can't see any obvious reason for the water temperature to be wildly different from that specified, although Would a partial blockage change things perhaps ?

If you open one up, there is both a thermostat and a thermo fuse in these machines (anything made within the past few years anyway).  They are fitted next to each other at the top of the "boiler" for want of a better term.  However, the thermostat is set to open at 145c and the thermo fuse to blow at 260c, so they are presumably there as a double safety backup to prevent catastrophic failure in case something like the float switch fails, and are not part of any brewing control system.  (This is in 230v versions, but I don't imagine the 110v versions would be different)
prairiedog

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 1:15pm

I called Technivorm this morning.  He said he'd never seen that before.  He was going to ask some of the other techs and call me back.  That was 5 hours ago, so either I have them stumped or they lost my phone number.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306677103043)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+