Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Selecting Programmable Coffee Maker
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Selecting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Talley313

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:01am
Subject: Selecting Programmable Coffee Maker

I am trying to buy a programmable coffee maker, so that I will have coffee ready when I wake up. I'm trying to stay under $100 and under $50 would be even better, but most makers I find at these prices have problems with taste, spilling, shorting out, etc. Can anyone recommend a decently priced, quality programmable coffee maker that tastes good and doesn't spill everywhere? The number of cups it makes isn't that important as long as it's 4 or more. Thanks!

Robert
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 2:16am
Subject: Re: Selecting Programmable Coffee Maker

I'm not going to argue that letting ground coffee sit all night will make it go stale (which is true), but the easiest sollution is to put a time switch on a drip coffee maker.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
bestcoffeemaker

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 9:16am

Edit, i've read the rules, aha i can't promote anything in my first five posting...lol
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeeguydenton

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:37pm

Talley313 Said:

I am trying to buy a programmable coffee maker, so that I will have coffee ready when I wake up. I'm trying to stay under $100 and under $50 would be even better, but most makers I find at these prices have problems with taste, spilling, shorting out, etc. Can anyone recommend a decently priced, quality programmable coffee maker that tastes good and doesn't spill everywhere? The number of cups it makes isn't that important as long as it's 4 or more. Thanks!

Robert

Posted July 15, 2013 link

Under 100 is going to be very difficult.  The breville youbrew may be the answer, but price is considerably higher.  As previously suggested, you could get a good drip coffee maker that does not have a timer and put a timer between the cord and outlet.  Even then, I think you are looking at 120 to 150 for a decent coffee maker.  If I were you I would go with the bonavita and a timer switch.  You may b able o find one used for 100.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 12:54pm

You can try Black and Decker 12 cup programmable coffee maker. The coffee taste made from these coffee makers is wonderful. When pouring, they donít spill everywhere. Their price is lower than $100 dollar. You may check out other coffee makers as well which are much more than this but higher in price with more features.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 5:38pm

Good tasting coffee requires a brew water temp. between 195-205 Deg. F. A Back and decker is going to fall short and be no better than what you have- once again coffeeloversmag is giving out pathetically bad advice.

Coffeemakers known to brew at the right temp include: Technivorm, Bonavita, All Bunn makers with preheated water chamber, Melitta BCM-4. I've probably missed a couple- maybe someone else will add to the list. I repeat though BLACK AND DECKER IS NOT ON THE LIST!
Talley313

Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 9:05pm

I will definitely look into some coffee makers from Bonavita and Technivorm and avoid both Black and Decker and of course Mr. Coffee. I will consider using a timer and a drip coffee maker if I can't find a good programmable one because that does seem to be a problem at the moment. I hadn't thought of using a timer though, that is a brilliant idea. Thank you all very much for your advice. If anyone else has more input, I'm still all ears.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 5:37am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

You can try Black and Decker 12 cup programmable coffee maker. The coffee taste made from these coffee makers is wonderful. When pouring, they donít spill everywhere. Their price is lower than $100 dollar. You may check out other coffee makers as well which are much more than this but higher in price with more features.

Posted July 17, 2013 link

I had one of these.  It was terrible, and it did not reach the correct temperatures for brewing coffee.  It produced harsh, bitter coffee, with almost none of flavor of the beans themselves, and the thermal carafe's lid held back coffee that staled inside the lid and then came out in the next pour.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 7:46am

1 - Get a decent grinder. Load it with beans the night before.
2 - Get an electric kettle of some sort. Put it on a digital wall timer. Fill it with water the night before
3 - Get some sort of pour-over cone. They come in sizes from a single cup to a full carafe size. There are some made to fit on a thermos as well. it a drip brewer without the heating element and other complications. Place it over a suitable container the night before with the filter in place.
4 - In the morning, hot water is ready. Grind beans (15-30 seconds depending on the grinder and amount of coffee to be made).
5 - Put ground coffee in cone's filter, pour water over coffee.

Ya, not quite as convenient as having the coffee sitting ready to go when you wake up. But the coffee will be far better than the economy drip brewers and the set up more dependable. If the quality of the coffee is not a priority, then look at thrift stores for a $10 used drip maker and buy two or three to have backups.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
sumatraman

Espresso: No machine - Moka pot
Grinder: Breville
Vac Pot: Yama 5, Sunbeam 20A
Drip: Revere s. steel, phin, &...
Roaster: Rptisserie w/drum, aux air...
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 8:33am

CoffeeRon Said:

Good tasting coffee requires a brew water temp. between 195-205 Deg. F. A Back and decker is going to fall short and be no better than what you have- once again coffeeloversmag is giving out pathetically bad advice.

Coffeemakers known to brew at the right temp include: Technivorm, Bonavita, All Bunn makers with preheated water chamber, Melitta BCM-4. I've probably missed a couple- maybe someone else will add to the list. I repeat though BLACK AND DECKER IS NOT ON THE LIST!

Posted July 17, 2013 link

Good suggestion with the BCM - 4
Get one on ebay. That and a timer should be well under your budget.
Great little coffee maker.

As far as B and Decker,  a good one cupper is the Brew and Go. Use your own cup or the mug provided.
I have two - one I bought earlier (maybe $20 - 30.00) and a 2nd still in box for $10.00 on sale (couldn't believe it - got the last one on the shelf).
My temps on this were right up there.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Selecting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304065942764)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+