Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Pour Overs All The Same ??
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour Overs All...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
steelgtr

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: TV Moccamaster/ glass
Roaster: WB Air Crazy/ Sifter
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:58pm
Subject: Pour Overs All The Same ??

I know they are not but it sure seems simple; a cone with a hole that you control the temp, grind, pour time, etc.  I know the clever cup? lets you close off the bottom for a longer saturation but besides that how much does the Chemex (except for it's special filter) and the Hario and the Mellita differ from each other?

thx

bob
 View Profile Link to this post
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:17pm
Subject: Re: Pour Overs All The Same ??

They are pretty different actually. One reason is due to how many and how large the holes are. Having one or multiple small holes (beehouse, wave, melita) compared to a really large one (v60 or chemex) changes the flow rate entirely. The filter paper for each also makes a huge difference, and each has their own tradeoffs with body and clarity.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 4:52am

I'd only go for the Hario if I had a pouring kettle, though it would be a good idea with other brewers too. Clever Dripper does not need a pouring kettle, unless you are using it as a straight pourover (valve open throughout). Clever Dripper will work with just about any grind & can be used to steep, pourover, or a long pre-wet then fill & drain.

Apart from the Kalita Wave, papers can be substituted in the various cones at a pinch. What you choose to do with the various brewers (paper, grind, brew ratio, pour technique) will have the biggest effect on outcome.
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 7:35am

Clearly technique is a factor but in order of preference I would rate Kalita Wave, Chemex/Melitta equal second and Hario V60 4th

I like the Kalita Wave because it seems to me most like a fresh quality coffee that you'd get from a Fetco or other commercial machine - well balanced subtle flavours. It does require a pour over kettle but it is easily the most consistent and forgiving of technique of all the pour over methods.

The Chemex is capable of a great coffee too, but if it takes even 30s longer than 4 mins it goes from great to a bit over extracted. The Melitta is also very grind dependant.

The Chemex is to my palette fuller bodied with less of the subtle flavours than with the Kalita and Melitta. Think this may be to do with the thicker filter papers.

The Hario for me is a poor 4th. It is capable of a good coffee. But I find using it very hit or miss. I personally find it quite similar to the Chemex in flavour although it uses a much finer grind. Many of the coffee shops use the Hario to good effect and with good consistency but what I dislike about it is most places use a techninque which involves using more coffee to allow for the fact that for speed much of the coffee is left on the sides of the filter rather than fully and evenly extracted.

The Kalita especially solves this 'high and dry' problem in that it's quite difficult to use this and get the typical 'V' shape that to me indicates a poor extraction. With both the Chemex and the Melitta you can alter your pour or stir to achieve a flat evenly extracted bed of coffee.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 8:18am

al_bongo Said:

The Chemex is to my palette fuller bodied with less of the subtle flavours than with the Kalita and Melitta. Think this may be to do with the thicker filter papers.

Posted July 16, 2013 link

The Chemex paper is thicker, but the weave is more open & the Chemex leaves more "in" than the other papers, rather than takes more "out".

Secondary filter some already extracted coffee through the differing papers and I'll bet you that the coffee filtered through a Chemex paper tastes most like the original brew.

The Kalita Wave bleached papers seem to focus the sweetness.

If the Hario tastes better at higher brew ratios (something I also tend to find), why not use it with those ratios? They're probably still broadly within the SCAE range.
steelgtr

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 8:20am

al_bongo Said:

Clearly technique is a factor but in order of preference I would rate Kalita Wave, Chemex/Melitta equal second and Hario V60 4th

I like the Kalita Wave because it seems to me most like a fresh quality coffee that you'd get from a Fetco or other commercial machine - well balanced subtle flavours. It does require a pour over kettle but it is easily the most consistent and forgiving of technique of all the pour over methods.

The Chemex is capable of a great coffee too, but if it takes even 30s longer than 4 mins it goes from great to a bit over extracted. The Melitta is also very grind dependant.

The Hario for me is a poor 4th. It is capable of a good coffee. But I find using it very hit or miss. I personally find it quite similar to the Chemex in flavour although it uses a much finer grind. Many of the coffee shops use the Hario to good effect and with good consistency but what I dislike about it is most places use a techninque which involves using more coffee to allow for the fact that for speed much of the coffee is left on the sides of the filter rather than fully and evenly extracted.

The Kalita especially solves this 'high and dry' problem in that it's quite difficult to use this and get the typical 'V' shape that to me indicates a poor extraction. With both the Chemex and the Melitta you can alter your pour or stir to achieve a flat evenly extracted bed of coffee.

I like how slow the Kalita seems to drip;

http://kalita-usa.com/wave_series.html

We like strong robust but not bitter coffee.

bob
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:21am

They are all a little bit different in terms of preperation and variations of taste as dictated by the coffee bed. If you have the right tool any of those cones is going to produce good coffee. Like espresso machines, your least important factor in many of these is going to be the dripper itself.

Just be sure you have a good grinder, and a pouring kettle.

Less water, more grounds.
steelgtr

Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 6:41am

al_bongo Said:

Where can you buy the Kalita, especially the "system". Seems out of stock at a lot of places?

bob
steelgtr

Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 6:49am

Intrepid510 Said:

They are all a little bit different in terms of preperation and variations of taste as dictated by the coffee bed. If you have the right tool any of those cones is going to produce good coffee. Like espresso machines, your least important factor in many of these is going to be the dripper itself.

Just be sure you have a good grinder, and a pouring kettle.

Speaking of grinder, what is the consensus of grind size for pour over?  A lot of the videos i saw looked really coarse ground and the results looked pretty weak!

bob
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 8:37am

Wrecking Ball coffee had a good vid and should be a stockist. I'm in the UK so can't really help much with suppliers. G&B coffee in LA also use the Kalita and it's largely their technique I try to recreate.

There is unfortunately not a universal grind for all the different pour overs. My technique for the Kalita is to use a coarse press pot grind ~900microns which probably corresponds to 22-23 on a Baratza Virtuoso.

I use 34g of coffee to 578g water ( standard 17:1 ratio) I aim for the water to finish draining at the 4 minute mark  (this includes the 30s "bloom").

The coffee is by no means weak, coarser grind requires longer contact time so you need a decent kettle to slow the pour to allow for 4 mins of contact time.

I think this replicates the brew cycle of good drip coffee makers but with a smaller volume of brew. I don't want a litre of coffee basically.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Pour Overs All...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297116041183)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+