Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Technivorm Overheating?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 12:27pm
Subject: Re: Technivorm Overheating?

Couple of questions:-

What is the temperature of the water as it comes out of the sprayhead ?

How long does it take to heat and dispense a full tank of water (1.25l) ? (should be close to 5 minutes).
 View Profile Link to this post
prairiedog

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 4:24pm

I was going to measure the temperature today, but my wife started the coffee while I was out of the room.  I'll try tomorrow, but it doesn't always do it.  I have to believe it's close to 110F when it does it because it's steaming when it goes in the carafe.  It also tastes thin like it was brewed too hot.  I'll have to time it too.  But it seems like about 4-5 minutes.  By the way, Technivorm is still pondering the question.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 5:49pm

prairiedog Said:

I was going to measure the temperature today, but my wife started the coffee while I was out of the room.  I'll try tomorrow, but it doesn't always do it.  I have to believe it's close to 110F when it does it because it's steaming when it goes in the carafe.  It also tastes thin like it was brewed too hot.  I'll have to time it too.  But it seems like about 4-5 minutes.  By the way, Technivorm is still pondering the question.

Posted July 15, 2013 link

Do you mean 210F instead of 110F?  Also, are you brewing a full 12 cups?  I have not timed my 12 cup TV (same as yours), however 5 minutes seems about a minute fast?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Posted Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:21pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

5 minutes seems about a minute fast?

Len

Posted July 15, 2013 link

4-5 minutes - if that's for a full capacity total brew cycle, start to finish - would be a bit fast.  Technivorm's spec. for N.American versions is to dispense 40 oz (USA measure) water in ~5 minutes, so total brew time for its full 1.25l capacity should be a bit longer than that.
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 5:50am

Honestly, I think the Techivorm might benifit from a minute of speed up.... isn't the 5 to 5.5 minutes it usually takes a tad long on the extraction side for coffee? I thought more in the 4 minute range was ideal.

I still find it hard to grasp how it could be hotter than boiling.

Another question...... is something with your grinder or the way you are grinding changing? What kind of grinder are you using? Maybe your grinder has reached it's end of life? Needs new burrs, blades etc?

I don't know what your brew method is, I stir with my Technivorm, but I find that without stiring you really need to have the correct dose and grind to not get a thin tasting coffee from it. Is there any variability to your dose/grind?
prairiedog

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 6:00am

Sorry typo - I meant 210F on the temperature, which is about the boiling point here.  I always brew a full pot - 1.25 liters.  Grind has been consistent for years, and continues to be so.  I measured the temperature today, but it wasn't steaming.  Like I said it's an intermittant problem.  The temperature was 202F, and I think that was measuring a little low because of the measurement technique.  That is still a little hotter than I would prefer.  I'm sure that when it's steaming, it's closer to 210F.

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 8:43am

prairiedog Said:

The temperature was 202F, and I think that was measuring a little low because of the measurement technique.  That is still a little hotter than I would prefer.  I'm sure that when it's steaming, it's closer to 210F.

Posted July 16, 2013 link

202f = 94.4c, so just about in the middle of the Technivorm specified range which I think is 92-96 (also being both the SCAA and ECBC accepted ranges).

If you want more precise control I think you'd have to go for something like the Behmor machine, although why you're suddenly finding the results of brewing so different from before and unpredictable is still a bit head scratching.......

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 8:58am

infinus Said:

Honestly, I think the Techivorm might benifit from a minute of speed up.... isn't the 5 to 5.5 minutes it usually takes a tad long on the extraction side for coffee? I thought more in the 4 minute range was ideal.

I was quoting from Technivorm's spec.for the machine, rather than giving an opinion on whether it was ideal, although I agree I should have made that distinction clear.  In fact I think mine brews a little faster than that as the voltage in this house is generally around 245-248 which is near the upper end of what's allowable in 230v land. It means a nominal 1400w heater is actually running closer to 1600w.

The SCAA has a fairly widewide tolerance in its testing - it specifies: "....water contact time with the coffee grounds to be more than 2 minutes but less than 8 minutes"

The ECBC is a bit more stringent and specifies: "Contact time (Brew) recorded from the water hitting the coffee in the filter holder and it stops running smoothly from the filter holder. Requirements: 4-6 minutes".

Not saying these criteria are necessarily to everyone's taste though.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:50pm

prairiedog Said:

Sorry typo - I meant 210F on the temperature, which is about the boiling point here.  I always brew a full pot - 1.25 liters.  Grind has been consistent for years, and continues to be so.  I measured the temperature today, but it wasn't steaming.  Like I said it's an intermittant problem.  The temperature was 202F, and I think that was measuring a little low because of the measurement technique.  That is still a little hotter than I would prefer.  I'm sure that when it's steaming, it's closer to 210F.

I have something to throw into the mix.  Are you aware of any power fluctuations at your home?  A possiblity?  Maybe something that has just happened recently?

I don't know if the above would cause an issue with your Technivorm, but you never know.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 5:57am

Keep measuring those temps and reporting back.

Steam may be a poor indicator. I'm not a weather guy by any means but I know there are days where water appears to steam more than others. Something with atmospherics I assume? I'm clueless on that subject. Keep recording and noting anything out of the norm.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Technivorm...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323519229889)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+