Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Woodneck/Nel Drip: Remove filter before drawdown?  & best practices
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Woodneck/Nel...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
zmargoli

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 1:32pm
Subject: Woodneck/Nel Drip: Remove filter before drawdown?  & best practices

Hey folks,

Just got a woodneck and have loved playing with tweaking the brewing method, but am yet to perfect it.

It my online exploration, the most legitimate video I've found (Japanese brewer who's been doing it for 10 years) seems to suggest to pull the entire filter away when you reach or target water volume in the brewer itself, meaning the "final drawdown" effectively does not reach the cup, as that water is pulled away.

I found another video from a Japanese coffee class where the student does the same thing, pulling the filter away with water still in it.  To do this precisely you would tare your scale without filter and grinds atop the woodneck I suppose, and hold the filter in your hand while pouring.

Whatcha'l pros think of this idea?  Any potential pros or cons?  I'll post links to both video below.

Most instructional video, though you don't SEE him pull it away or the drawdown:
http://vimeo.com/11230003

This one you see it taken away:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_QhHDNU_Oc
 View Profile Link to this post
SamTonin
SamTonin
Expertise: Professional
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 2:36am
Subject: Re: Woodneck: Remove filter before drawdown?

This does sound like an interesting method. In theory this would yeild a cleaner cup because of the lack of drop in pressure in the final seconds. Unless of course there are desirable flavours in that portion of the extraction, some coffees do have sweetness at the end there.

You wouldn't have to hold the filter though, you would just have a heavier target weight.

My micro-roastery is up and running, be sure to check it out! www.beanofatree.com.au
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 7:59am

There aren't really any "cons", it's obviously easier to do with a separate brewer cone & carafe and if you brew into a vessel on scales using a brew stand to hold th brewer & filter.

It eliminates variables in retention in the brewer (the brewing control charts assume 2.1g brew water/g of grinds will be held back at the end of brew, if for some reason your brewer/technique skews this figure, then brew water added ratios are of questionable value).

The Japanese often seem to refer to a cup as being 120ml.

60g/l equates to ~70g/l (7%) in the cup at the end of brew time (15g dose:~214g in the cup). It's the same idea as used in espresso brew ratios.

Personally I prefer this method of establishing brew ratios, as it is more concerned with what lands in the cup (which you can taste), rather than what evaporates or is absorbed by the grinds (which you can't taste).

You still have to get your grind right.
zmargoli

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 3:53pm

Interesting!

Honestly being new to doing pour overs at home, though I am detail oriented I'm overwhelmed by the number of variables to consider in perfecting this method of brewing!  On top of that, there weirdly doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of guides, and theres a lot of variation in the little that's out there.

For example, most guides I've seen recommend a continuous pour and finer grind setting, but then blue bottle recommends this cracked out procedure: http://www.bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/nel-drip

I'd love to hear some general recommendations on using the Nel Drip/Woodneck.  I've seen the other threads but there still didn't seem to be a consensus.

Specifically:
1) Continuous Pour vs. pulsing?  Continuous pours are called for most everywhere I've seen, but I personally find that with my beehive kettle this results in way too fast a brew (I think.)  Like 1:40 total brew time fast, unless that's fine.  I just order one of those flow restrictors, but that kinda feels like cheating...

2)Grind size: discussed a ton I know, varies I know, but I'm still unclear what to default to.  I have the Hario Skerton, and base my setting off "knotchs" from all the way tight.  At first I had it at 4 which visually looked right, fine but not ultra fine.  It seems possibly over-extracted and bitter to me.  Backed it up to 5, way too course I believe, water ran even faster, weak and sour cup.  Do I change it trying to achieve a specific brew time?

3) Brew time total?  What to shoot for, 2:00, 3:00, 1:40, aaagh!

4) Ratio:  I see the same one everywhere: 18 grams coffee and 240ml water for a ration of 75g/1L.  Though on forums and for other brewers I almost always find larger quantities of each which I find peculiar.  I like this volume for a cup personally.  Subquestion:  To do two cups, I'd simply double both quantities, without changing the grind setting yes?

I think those are my major questions.  There also seems to be a general recommendation to indent the center, and the pro's seem to always use a chopstick or something and shove it down the sides around the grinds.  I've seen other folks just leave it level.

As a general rule of thumb, it seems to me it all becomes more manageable if you hold yourself to only manipulating 1-2 variables from a base plan, yet folks seem to change everything, all the time in their recommendations.

Help the n00b!  I jumped into this setup as my local shop in DC made the best cup i ever had with a non-traditional filter and pour-over, and the consensus seems to be that the cloth can produce a better cup than other pour over's once you master it.  Any/all feedback welcome.
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 4:22pm

Hi, hardly an expert here, but I do own and enjoy a nel dripper.

My experience is that a good starting place is to grind as fine as it takes to get the water through with a slow pour (taking breaks as necessary) in 2:30-3:00 post-bloom. After that it's taste buds, and I think you have the right idea about adjustments. I do find that a slightly higher coffee to water ratio along the lines you describe is better for this gadget. Maybe grind a tad more coarse for a larger batch. I have tried level and dimple and prefer level (seems to percolate better in my experience).

Thanks for the video, though -- next time I will have to try out Blue Bottle's weirdo approach.
Elliottok

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler 920XL;...
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh; Compak K3...
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 2:11pm
Subject: Re: Woodneck/Nel Drip: Remove filter before drawdown?  & best practices

I personally really like the Blue Bottle method. Produces an interesting cup of coffee with great body. The coffee has the body of french press, but with the delicate flavors that you find from the paper filter pour-over methods. Best of both worlds.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Woodneck/Nel...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.22204709053)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+