Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
ROFLMAO:  "Bustelo - or - How to Make it Yourself"
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ROFLMAO:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
RussK
RussK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Alex II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Type B
Drip: Bunn DV TC / Chemex / Hario...
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 9:12pm
Subject: Re: ROFLMAO:  "Bustelo - or - How to Make it Yourself"

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I have a 4 cup Brikka, and used 2 tablespoons of sugar for the initial whipping.  I put a tad too much brikka espresso in it and the sugar after whipping it was a bit runny.  What are you using for your sugar ratio?  From the videos I see it appears that they do not put much moka espresso in the sugar for the whipping; kind of like a real thick paste at first then they whip the heck out of it till no granules are left.

Len

Posted July 10, 2013 link

I am using a little 1 cup regular moka pot and have tried a couple ratios for the sugar, about 1 1/2 teaspoons seemed about right. That figures to be about the same as what you are doing. I agree that it looks like a little less is better than to much when it comes to the coffee initially added to the sugar.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 10:24pm

RussK Said:

I am using a little 1 cup regular moka pot and have tried a couple ratios for the sugar, about 1 1/2 teaspoons seemed about right. That figures to be about the same as what you are doing. I agree that it looks like a little less is better than to much when it comes to the coffee initially added to the sugar.

My 4 cup brikka makes 6 fluid oz.  Same as your 1 cup moka pot?

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 10:50pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I wonder if there is a definition difference between cafecito and "bustelo".

Isn't Bustelo simply a brand?

Maybe the difference is milk. A cafecito isn't made with hot milk.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
RussK
RussK

Espresso: Alex II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Type B
Drip: Bunn DV TC / Chemex / Hario...
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 11:05pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Len

No, mine is a tiny little thing. I think it makes about 2 oz. It is the smallest Bialetti Moka Express.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 5:53am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I wonder if there is a definition difference between cafecito and "bustelo".  Seems like "bustelo" evolved into what it is today due to the pilon and bustelo brand pre-ground coffees.

It would be interesting to see the history behind it all.  I am curious to see if the sugar cane rich Cuba was the influence behind the huge amount of sugar used in the preparation of bustelo.  Probably was.

Len

Bustelo isn't a drink, though that guy in the vid made it seem to be lol. Bustelo and Pilon are the brands. The drinks themselves have numerous variations, the picture I put up of the styrafoam cup and thimble cups is whats known as a Colada (usually 4-6 shots in the cup and small ones are for sharing... or yourself lol). Cafecito is just an espresso shot prepped cuban style (Cubano and few other names). Cortadito has some steam milk added, and a Cafe Con Leche is the shot with a side of steamed milk to use.

Far as history, no clue, but my Cuban friends all make it like this with Moka pots, their parents did, their grandparents did etc...just a part of the culture, though probably was started to tame the punch of Bustelo/Pilon. Anthony Bourdain was in Miami for an episode once and got a Colada and nicknamed it liquid crack LOL.

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Len

Moka pot sizes are generally 2oz per "cup", so a 1 cup would be 2oz and a 4 cup would be 8oz etc.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 7:04am

CMIN Said:

Bustelo isn't a drink, though that guy in the vid made it seem to be lol. Bustelo and Pilon are the brands. The drinks themselves have numerous variations, the picture I put up of the styrafoam cup and thimble cups is whats known as a Colada (usually 4-6 shots in the cup and small ones are for sharing... or yourself lol). Cafecito is just an espresso shot prepped cuban style (Cubano and few other names). Cortadito has some steam milk added, and a Cafe Con Leche is the shot with a side of steamed milk to use.

Far as history, no clue, but my Cuban friends all make it like this with Moka pots, their parents did, their grandparents did etc...just a part of the culture, though probably was started to tame the punch of Bustelo/Pilon. Anthony Bourdain was in Miami for an episode once and got a Colada and nicknamed it liquid crack LOL.

Moka pot sizes are generally 2oz per "cup", so a 1 cup would be 2oz and a 4 cup would be 8oz etc.

Posted July 11, 2013 link

My Brikka is listed as a 4-cup Brikka, 6 fluid oz. on some sales sites, and four 2 oz. on others.  Nothing on bialetti which I was hoping would provide the definitive answer on that.

Len

edit:  Later after this post I did a measure of the amount of water used in the brikka and it is 6 fluid oz., not 8 fluid oz., and again this is for the 4 cup version of the Brikka.

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Carabica
Carabica
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 4:40pm

I saw that Bourdain episode. He was funny. How many of those little cups did he have? He loved it. Three, at least, and he wanted to take more with him.

I wish I'd remembered that when I was in Miami.
markm3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: UNIC Phoenix R...
Grinder: Bunn GBaratza,  Rossi...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn HG, Fetco...
Roaster: Counter Culture and Gimme
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 7:25am

CMIN Said:

Posted July 11, 2013 link

Cool, I never realized Cafe Con Leche is literately "a steamed milk chaser". Always assumed it was their version of a latte, but that would be the Cortadito.

BTW, is their any taste difference or reason to use Pilon over Bustelo and vice versa ?

There have been times in the past that I've used Bustelo,a  Moka Pot and a small french press (put cold milk in, use plunger to make froth and nuke in microwave) to make Xtra Low Budget Cappas.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 7:33am

markm3 Said:

Cool, I never realized Cafe Con Leche is literately "a steamed milk chaser". Always assumed it was their version of a latte, but that would be the Cortadito.

BTW, is their any taste difference or reason to use Pilon over Bustelo and vice versa ?

There have been times in the past that I've used Bustelo,a  Moka Pot and a small french press (put cold milk in, use plunger to make froth and nuke in microwave) to make Xtra Low Budget Cappas.

Posted July 14, 2013 link

I have had Pilon before (not for the use being talked about in this thread), and I do not recall any taste difference between it and the Bustelo coffee brand.

I think the sugar mixing procedure is what separates this drink from other drinks made with Pilon and Bustelo.  I finally got it down pat; it is a bit difficult to do right at first.

Len

Spitz
Spitz
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM DD v3
Grinder: Compak K10 PB
Vac Pot: Hario Vac
Drip: 8c Chemex, Hario Hand-Drip,...
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 7:52am

At the risk of sounding stupid...

When I was a kid I used to take instant coffee, sugar and a bit of milk and mix it to create that mixture they make in the video for their coffee.  So, if you don't want to remove your pot from the heat to create your mixture, you're using junk coffee anyway, instant coffee isn't going to make anything worse and it's an easy way to create that sugar/coffee mixture that contributes 100% of the sticky/sweet flavour of the drink.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ROFLMAO:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.412938833237)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+