Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 98 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
imsnowbear
imsnowbear
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Several, including Sunbeam...
Drip: Technivorm, Melitta Clarity,...
Roaster: SC/GG/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 5:30am
Subject: Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)

roastmybeans Said:

imsnowbear,
Fill your Brazen up to a full pot and do a manual release without the lid or any heat involved.... still getting water left in the top?

Posted June 30, 2013 link

No. Cold water drains completely in 2:34 with lid locked on or off.

With lid locked, heated water (205F) stopped draining after 2:12 with half the water still left in reservoir. Removing the lid started the water flowing freely. There was a definite vacuum in the reservoir creating resistance to removing the lid. This makes me believe that (at least my) emptying problems are caused by a vapor lock as TahoeJoe has observed in an earlier post. "Re: Now we know what GORT is (Behmor BraZen Brewer)"

I haven't had incomplete emptying since I have been keeping the lid loose. When locked, bubbles will escape the lid as it approaches set temperature. Not sure if this indicates a defective lid or not. It's just easier for the time being to keep the  lid loose or maybe drill a small breather hole, rather than hassling Behmor. (I sure would like a better carafe, though). ;)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Akathisia

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 7:21pm

jran Said:

Here is an imgur album with additional closeups of the rubber part. http://imgur.com/a/zcXn0#0
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's not what it looked like when it was new.

Posted June 23, 2013 link

Thanks for the photos. I really can't stop laughing. Your last sentence is priceless.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 9:29pm

jran Said:

Here is an imgur album with additional closeups of the rubber part. http://imgur.com/a/zcXn0#0

Posted June 23, 2013 link

I looked at the images - that is astounding. Since there is a percentage of this happening to some machines and not all, maybe a database of model numbers of problem machine might help weed out a production string that were made with these bad valves.

My brother worked for a company that had some expensive goods made in China. The manufacturers will cut every last $0.005 everywhere they can. Evidently the manufacturer of the valves did that with the rubber seal (and I wonder if that coincides with the horrific smell some were getting from their brewers and some who did not)? Also, I wonder if the problem begins right away or if it takes a number of pots to be brewed (and if so, how many)?

Do you have disassembly images, or can you outline the procedure? I would like to examine my valve as I do not want to use the brewer if this is happening to mine.

PS - good work sorting out the source of the problem.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
jran

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:11am

frcn Said:

Do you have disassembly images, or can you outline the procedure? I would like to examine my valve as I do not want to use the brewer if this is happening to mine.

Posted July 2, 2013 link

I really should have taken dis-assembly pictures, but didn't :\  It was a big pain to take apart, with a non-obvious order of what to take off when, and lots of hard to get to screws.

The first step in dis-assembly is popping off the covers on the back 'leg' of the brazen.  From there I just unscrewed all the screws I could find and popped off all the connectors that popped off.  

The main water reservoir, valve assembly, and spray head are basically one part when assembled, and that is lowered into the main body of the coffee maker.  The wires for the valve, the heater, and the temperature sensor all feed out to a board on the back strut of the brazen and are then soldered in place.  What this means is that during dis-assembly, you cannot lift the bits out because they are trapped in place by the wires.  Your options are - desolder the wires, cut the wires, or cut a small part of the plastic so you can fit the wires and the board through into the body and then pull it out the top.  I cut the plastic to free the wires.  If you pop off the back leg panel you can see the board and see what I mean.  Once you have the stuff pulled out its straightforward to get the solenoid valve out of the housing on the bottom of the reservoir.

If you want to keep using your Brazen, I would say don't take it apart.  Due to the difficulty in taking it apart I'm not 100% confident I could reassemble it to working order even if I could get a replacement for the rubber part.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:31am

jran,

I was afraid of that. I did get mine to the point when I first received it of taking the back cover off the strut to replace a screw, but that was as far as I got. Unsoldering wires is not a problem, but as you stated, it's not worth the effort if the machine is working correctly.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
infinus

Espresso: Cheap POS
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Broken by the cats!
Drip: Pour Over, Brazen,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 11:59am

I recently have had the same problem with my valve locking up and buzzing. I disassembled my machine out of curiosity down to the valve, cleaned it out, but never noticed the rubber thing. I'll have to go back and look for it. I fully reassembled it as well and it still buzzes, so I don't think it's the valve itself.

If I get some time I'll disassemble again and take a look at that rubber piece.

I've currently fallen back to my Technivorm. Have to say I was mildly disappointed that the Brazen didn't really even make it a year. The TV has been a rock for sure. I have not yet contacted Behmor about this.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 3:56pm

JBMfiend Said:

The Brazen has 2 MAJOR drawbacks: a.) it does NOT make great cup of coffee (and don't we live for a good cup!?) and b.) the annoyances on this machine are so many, it is nigh unbelievable. For a machine that has so many bells and whistles, this beastie was just poorly thought out (not to mention being poorly constructed - China - go figure).

Posted June 29, 2013 link

First off, I believe I'm qualified to know a good cup of coffee...no a GREAT cup of coffee when I drink one. The BraZen makes as good, and at times better cup of coffee than my Hario, Chemex, or any other dripper machine I've owned, including a Technivorm. If you actually read this thread (or OWNED this machine which I doubt) you'd know I speak truthfully.
2nd, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? Probably half the appliances, toys (if you have kids) and other household items are made in China.
Though I freely admit to a predilection for buying American made ANYTHING when I can, being made in China is usually not a cause for concern.
Yes, these issues appear to quite possibly be due to some faulty parts manufacture, but to accuse Behmor of not "playing with the big boys?"

Obviously, you are NOT one of hundreds, maybe thousands who have had faithful service with their Behmor 1600 roasters. I have over 400 roasts on mine, and it's as good as it was new.

2 posts and you're ready to condemn a manufacturer?
Technicality, your post is in violation of CG rules, but WHO AM I TO SAY?

EDITED for typos.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 4:40pm

IMAWriter Said:

Technicality, your post is in violation of CG rules, but WHO AM I TO SAY?

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Maybe we need you back???
Skioutwest

Espresso: Alex Duetto
Grinder: Macap M4
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Behmor 1600 (convert from...
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:42am

Add me to the list of faithful owners that have a unit that is short potting.  I use softened water from my Alex Duetto and I also tried to run two treatments with Durgol and the problem is getting worse.

I am a good customer of Behmor ( also have a 1600 roaster) and I am a bit annoyed that they have not replied to my two emails over the past three weeks.

Has anyone heard from Joe recently?  I would expect at least a short reply....something.....

Seems that this is a resolvable issue if it is only a part malfunction.....let's hope it is, because despite this setback it really is a revolutionary product.

-Mark
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:52am

Skioutwest Said:

I am a good customer of Behmor ( also have a 1600 roaster) and I am a bit annoyed that they have not replied to my two emails over the past three weeks.
Has anyone heard from Joe recently?  I would expect at least a short reply....something.....

Posted July 4, 2013 link

I'd phone customer service Mark, but of course closed for the July 4th Independence Day holiday.

See where Joe is/was & what he's up to here Mark:Joe on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 98 of 113 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Now we know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.418668031693)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+