Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 281 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014, 4:34pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Alan -

All kidding aside, and pleading ignorance of much of this thread since I became quite inactive some time ago, have you analyzed the "gooey crap" that forms on the plunger rubber once it's aged quite a bit? It may be that this only happens with rubber that's been subject to hot water more frequently than your intended use would generally permit, but it's remarkable stuff and I'm disinclined to continue using such plungers. The substance is waxier than it is oily -- very difficult to wash off one's fingers.

With as much hacking and inversion as there is with the device, it might be good to have an authoritative word on what this stuff is and what perils there may be in incurring it in a brewing environment.

Your change of plastics on account of BPA worries by many people was, to my mind, in a sense unnecessary (but what the market demands...). But it seems to me that there's something afoot with this waxy stuff that begs explanation -- it's an actual unknown (unlike your BPA testing) that seems a legitimate concern.

What think?

I have a heckuvan instance I could send ye.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 10:59am

I love the fact that the plunger ejects the puck. It makes clean up easier. But I don't like the rubber at all. It's hard to clean. It smells. It can wear out. It can develop terminal gooey gunk syndrome. The obvious alternative is some sort of air pump but then you don't get to eject the puck.

I've been thinking of buying a percolator and was checking out the Presto web site. They have this thing called the MyJo. Have any of you seen this? It's designed for K-Cups but the same pump idea would work for an immersion brewer like the Aeropress. A pump has the advantage that the brewing vessel need not be cylindrical.

jpender: Presto_MyJo.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
micvog

Espresso: None
Grinder: OE LIDO 1, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: AeroPress, Beehouse, Chemex
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 5:16pm

rasqual Said:

Ahave you analyzed the "gooey crap" that forms on the plunger rubber once it's aged quite a bit?

Posted April 23, 2014 link

FYI On March 13th Alan mentioned he sent one such seal to a lab. They reported that it was coffee goo.
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 8:41pm

micvog Said:

FYI On March 13th Alan mentioned he sent one such seal to a lab. They reported that it was coffee goo.

Posted April 25, 2014 link

I find that utterly implausible as a sufficient explanation for what I'm seeing. No way. Utterly no way possible.

Alan? How "waxy" was that puck?
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 10:44am

jpender Said:

A friend who doesn't drink coffee saw my Aeropress yesterday and commented that it looked like a (certain private kind of) pump.

Posted April 14, 2014 link

Inside Diameter is way too small.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
TheoDickson

Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 7:47am

Hi all. I've been playing with my Aeropress for about a month now. Except my first few cups, I've been using the inverted method. I learned pretty early on that a stir was essential right at the end of the steep before the flip & press, as otherwise you get the bed of grounds stuck to plunger as you press the coffee through just the filter.

I was loving the cleanness of the cups but noticed that they were lacking body and boldness compared to what I might otherwise expect of that bean and ratio. No matter what parameters I varied. I thought about it and I noticed a potential flaw in the inverted method that may have been causing this - even with the late stir, you aren't pressing through a bed of grounds initially as the stir re-immerses them, but rather you creating that bed as you go. So I tried not inverting, but after pouring and a quick stir you stick the plunger in carefully to create a vacuum and stop the flow, then steep as per usual before pressing. Well the trouble with this is that you lose some while pouring and stirring then even more during the insertion of the plunger. Still, my first try was a success. Much fuller taste. I think, however that I've improved further on this method. I call it the semi-inverted:

1) Start with an inverted set up.
2) Pour/stir however you would normally.
3) Instead of steeping inverted, place the cap on and immediately flip and place on cup, being careful to pull lightly on the plunger as you go in order to stop any dripping.
4) Now you can let it steep without losing any to drippage, and then press through the bed of grounds.

I find this to really improve body and richness without adding any extra bitterness. (Perhaps due to no late stirring?). Would love you hear anyone's thoughts on this. Apologies if this is an already established method!
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 7:53am

I thought that the main value of the inverted method was that it allowed you to extract some coffee oils that float to the top, before putting the filter on and pressing through the filter.  This method seems to eliminate that benefit.  What happens if you simply brew according to the "normal" instructions, only with your preferred steeping time?  One way to increase steeping time without leakage, btw, is to mix the grounds and water in a measuring cup before pouring into the press.
TheoDickson

Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 8:05am

Hmmm I had never heard coffee oils mentioned before in regard to the inverted method. I think that if they can get through the filter at all, no matter how you did it if you pressed fully a certain amount of them would get through in the end. I thought the point was simply to increase steeping time. Well I suppose if you want to put it that way, this is my way of using the normal instructions with an extended steeping time and basically zero leakage - the measuring cup method would still cause some leakage during pouring and insertion.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 9:28am

rasqual Said:

I find that utterly implausible as a sufficient explanation for what I'm seeing. No way. Utterly no way possible.

Alan? How "waxy" was that puck?

Posted April 25, 2014 link

Coffee goo is a bit general.  I think you will find it is mostly composed of coffee oils that accumulate after a few uses.  Most people probably just give the end a quick rinse and no wipe down, so the oils stick to the rubber end and any water left on it evaporates and leaves the oil behind.  A few times of this and you see the slimy waxy deposit.  The way to prevent this is after slunging the coffee grounds out of the aeropress, take the plunger out and rinse then give it a good towel dry and wipe off around that area.

Something tells me, however, that you already know this, Dr. Strangelove.  

;)

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 10:59am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Coffee goo is a bit general.  I think you will find it is mostly composed of coffee oils that accumulate after a few uses.

Len

Posted April 27, 2014 link

I think the question in at least some people's minds is: "is there any involvement with the rubber of the plunger?"
showing page 281 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.431408882141)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+