Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Breville YouBrew v. Technivorm, BonaVita, or Behmor Brazen
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Breville YouBrew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 11:40pm
Subject: Re: Breville YouBrew v. Technivorm, BonaVita, or Behmor Brazen

coffeeguydenton Said:

... they used the inboard grinder for the YouBrew and a much better grinder for the others...

Posted June 21, 2013 link

For drip brewing with a paper filter I suspect the onboard grinder is more than adequate...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 7:37am

EricBNC Said:

For drip brewing with a paper filter I suspect the onboard grinder is more than adequate...

Posted June 21, 2013 link

Whether or not the inboard grinder is adequate was not my point.  If you are trying to do a head to head comparison of the brewers, you need to control all other variables.  Even if the inboard grinder is great, if the grind setting is different, it will change the flavor profile.  The only way to properly compare the brewers is to use paper filters on all of them and use the same grinder at the same grind setting.  That is the comparison I am looking for.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 8:41am

coffeeguydenton Said:

Whether or not the inboard grinder is adequate was not my point.  If you are trying to do a head to head comparison of the brewers, you need to control all other variables.  Even if the inboard grinder is great, if the grind setting is different, it will change the flavor profile.  The only way to properly compare the brewers is to use paper filters on all of them and use the same grinder at the same grind setting.  That is the comparison I am looking for.

Posted June 22, 2013 link

You are saying that the built in grinder should be out of the picture, but from what I can get out of your original post is that it would be an essential part of the equation.  In that respect you should only compare coffee makers that have built in grinders.  Following is a great list of available built in grinder coffee makers listed on Wholelattalove:
Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)

Note that I have no experience with wholelattelove and I am not shilling for them.  They are the 1st company that came up on NSA spy site google under "built in grinder".  Their list looks good, so there it is.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeeguydenton

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:31am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

You are saying that the built in grinder should be out of the picture, but from what I can get out of your original post is that it would be an essential part of the equation.  In that respect you should only compare coffee makers that have built in grinders.  Following is a great list of available built in grinder coffee makers listed on Wholelattalove:
Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)

Note that I have no experience with wholelattelove and I am not shilling for them.  They are the 1st company that came up on NSA spy site google under "built in grinder".  Their list looks good, so there it is.

Len

I'm clearly not doing a good job of communicating my point.  I would use the grinder at times if I had it available.  But that really isn't going to play into my decision.  The most important thing is a good brewer. If the YouBrew makes a cup of coffee that is close to the others, then the added convenience of the grinder would be nice for the occasions that I need it, but I would still use my Preciso for most of the grinding.  So what I want to know is how it holds up for the times I will be using the Preciso to grind my coffee.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 12:17pm

coffeeguydenton Said:

I'm clearly not doing a good job of communicating my point.  I would use the grinder at times if I had it available.  But that really isn't going to play into my decision.  The most important thing is a good brewer. If the YouBrew makes a cup of coffee that is close to the others, then the added convenience of the grinder would be nice for the occasions that I need it, but I would still use my Preciso for most of the grinding.  So what I want to know is how it holds up for the times I will be using the Preciso to grind my coffee.

As a suggestion maybe take a step back and look at your posts from another persons standpoint.  What sticks out is your need for a built in grinder:

"It may not be logical to buy a Grind and Brew when you plan on using a separate grinder, but I have my reasons for considering it.  Basically, the convenience for my wife, and the fact that I have to leave the house around 3:30 some mornings, and would appreciate every extra moment of sleep on those mornings (hence the convenience of being able to set the Grind and Brew and not having to pre-grind coffee)."

"I am looking for a brewer to fill the gap when I don't have time. ... but I would rather buy one that meets my needs while providing the convenience that my wife cares about."

"I would use the grinder at times if I had it available."

The Technivorm, Bonavita, and Brazen should really be scratched from your list of potentials for autostart w/ grinding function.  I believe you can get autostart on the Brazen, but it has no grinder.  A possibility maybe?  Maybe you should focus on taste comparisons between the YouBrew using autostart w/grinding function, and Brazen filled with pre-ground coffee beans, the time of grinding to use factor being determined by the amount of time between when you would normally go to sleep and the time you would normally wake up.  I seriously doubt you will find such a comparison, but that would be the proper way to do your taste test.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeeguydenton

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 12:57pm

Len,

While I do appreciate that you are trying to help, it seems like you arguing with me about what I meant in my original post.  I admit I did not clearly communicate what I am looking for.  That does not change the fact that I am not asking what you say I am asking.  I specifically want to know how the YouBrew compares to the others as a brewer, putting the grind and brew feature aside.  That is really all i am asking.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 2:04pm

coffeeguydenton Said:

I think you might have mistaken the intention of my post too - I don't have hands on experience with the YouBrew but others that have agree it can make decent coffee. You stated the YouBrew grinder was inferior to the others used in the test but my point is that for filter drip the difference would be small if even noticeable at all. I have a grinder that uses the same burr set and find the results to be satisfactory.

I agree in the video the judge has a bias to paper filters but forget for a moment about that - she does not say the coffee is too cool, over extracted, etc so the machine performed and met a minimum standard that matched the other units in the test - this part is not subjective and is worth looking at. For subjectivity, your wife and you may prefer the perm filter (I like them) over paper but that is a function of the coffee brewer (you) not the coffee brewer (machine)...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
coffeeguydenton

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 2:43pm

EricBNC Said:

I think you might have mistaken the intention of my post too - I don't have hands on experience with the YouBrew but others that have agree it can make decent coffee. You stated the YouBrew grinder was inferior to the others used in the test but my point is that for filter drip the difference would be small if even noticeable at all. I have a grinder that uses the same burr set and find the results to be satisfactory.

I agree in the video the judge has a bias to paper filters but forget for a moment about that - she does not say the coffee is too cool, over extracted, etc so the machine performed and met a minimum standard that matched the other units in the test - this part is not subjective and is worth looking at. For subjectivity, your wife and you may prefer the perm filter (I like them) over paper but that is a function of the coffee brewer (you) not the coffee brewer (machine)...

I guess that makes sense.  I suppose no one has really done the comparison I am asking for as they really are a different class of machine.  I was just curious if anyone out there had tried both and had any thoughts.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 3:11pm

coffeeguydenton Said:

I guess that makes sense.  I suppose no one has really done the comparison I am asking for as they really are a different class of machine.  I was just curious if anyone out there had tried both and had any thoughts.

I already posted I used both, wasn't really a head to head over multiple drinks though. But my neighbor has the Youbrew, and the same beans I used on the Techno I gave to him (got him hooked on fresh coffee lol) and couldn't really tell a difference. I know some will say what they want about Breville, but the Youbrew is really good. I would pry still go for a Techno or Bonavita with a seperate grinder but thats just me, someone looking for fresh brew and convenience (built in grinder is Smart Grinder burrs I think which is more then enough for coarse) would have a hard time beating the Youbrew and its features.

Haven't used the Brazen.

Think cuznvin on here has a Youbrew
66360darren

Espresso: ECM Giotto/La Marzocco GB5
Grinder: Baratza/Mazzer Robur E/ Kony...
Vac Pot: YAMA
Drip: Chemex/ Clever
Roaster: Behmor,Diedrich
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:13pm

Hi,
I have used all these brewers. If you want coffee ready for when you get up then the Breville is great. It takes a bit of time to clean but makes awesome coffee. If you want to use a separate grinder and pregrind your coffee then get the Brazen. It can be programmed as well. If you like pour overs then get a Zojirushi water heater on a timer. That way you have hot water ready to go when you wake up.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Breville YouBrew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377883911133)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+