Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
food safety of cold brew coffee - specifically botulism
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > food safety of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
john1234

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 9:13pm
Subject: food safety of cold brew coffee - specifically botulism

I was wondering if anyone could comment about the risk of botulism with cold brew coffee.  In my case, I plan to prepare cold brew coffee and bottle it as if it were what stumptown makes.

what options do I have for pasteurization and/or storage?  What process does stumptown or any other cold brew coffee producer use?

If anyone is interested, I have a more through write-up about my cold brew process here, on reddit

Here are my thoughts: botulism likes anerobic conditions - basically any sealed container.  However, if the container is very acidic, in the case of tomatoes, or pasteurized, in the case of pretty much any canned food, botulism is not a concern. Also, botulism should normally not grown at refrigeration temperature, but I want something that doesn't necessarily need to be kept cold.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 5:56am
Subject: Re: food safety of cold brew coffee - specifically botulism

John
Welcome.
Honestly, I advise you to consult a professional in this field. We LOVE to talk coffee but few are qualified to give advice on what you seek.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 6:37am

Dear John1234,
I do not know where you get your concern over botulism.  There are only 100-200 cases of botulism in the U.S. every year, of which only 10-20% is associated with food source.  Coffee is not a known vehicle for botulism.  I would be more concerned over enterococcus (e. coli), but you describe a good sterilization technique in your prospectus.  Still, make sure you follow good handwashing guidlines.  The most prevalent organism associated with coffee are species of Aspergillium and Penicillium, some of which can produce ochratoxin A, a potent fungal mycotoxin.  Please see my post on this forum http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/general/630128.
If you are planning a commercial venture, it is not necessary but up to you if you want to find a reputable food laboratory to assay your product for contamination, but learn ahead of time what the results in CFU (colony-forming unit) concentration would mean to you or to the authorities, since some contamination will always be reported.  State agricultural offices may be a big help here.  You will not find many laboratories equipped to assay for ochratoxin A or aflatoxin B1, but, if you know how to access biomedical research, you can find universities that do this work.  If you are interested, you can write a paper on mycotoxins in cold-brewed coffee in conjunction with one of the grad students.  I am sure that they will be interested.  Labs that use gas or other chromatography are more reliable with labs that use radio-immune assay technique, since caffeine cross-reacts with mycotoxin reagents used in RIAs.  If you go this route you will be interested in continuing to assay your cold brew in this manner periodically because the fungal burden of the beans you buy will change over time.  Of course, all of this is over and above what you need to do to satisfy standard commercial regulations for selling food items.  If you just want to go into business, just get your local and state guidelines.
As far as pasteurization is concerned, you can use home pasteurizing techniques that, in my opinion, would likely degrade the cold brew.  Perhaps not;  try it.  The latest thing is HPP, or high pressure pasteurization which is causing a big growth in the fruit smoothie industry right now.  It uses lower heat.  "Cold pasteurization" uses ionizing radiation, which can be as destructive to cold-processed food as the heat it is supposed to replace.  That is why smoothy companies are so excited about HPP.  These are too expensive to be done at home unless you are an ace inventor.
Did I talk too much?  Sorry.

Buckley
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 6:49am

John, what are you doing?
rmongiovi

Grinder: Ditting KR805
Drip: Technivorm; Bonavita...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 10:36pm

From Wikipedia:

Clostridium botulinum is a rod-shaped microorganism. It is an obligate anaerobe, meaning that oxygen is poisonous to the cells. However, C. botulinum tolerates traces of oxygen due to the enzyme superoxide dismutase (SOD) which is an important antioxidant defense in nearly all cells exposed to oxygen.

So unless you brew your coffee in a mostly oxygen free environment, that would not be what I would worry about.

There is one caveat, however.  The intestinal tract of a newborn is a mostly anaerobic environment.  Were you to feed a newborn something containing botulin spores it's possible that they could grow in the baby's intestines and give it botulism.  That's why you aren't supposed to give an infant less than a year old raw honey.  I don't think I'd be giving one coffee either, but for completely different reasons.

You normally worry about botulism from canned goods since they're a sealed oxygen free environment.  Canned coffee, anyone?
Roy
john1234

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 2:51pm

@buckley
Perfect!

My botulism concern is mostly derived from the fact that I'm sealing a container (read: anerobic environment) with some type of food item and storing it room temperature for some period of time.

I am in school at a major medical school and have done lab work in another major medical school - perhaps I can track down a lab that does an assay for ochratoxin A or aflatoxin B1.  I think for my purposes, it doesn't really matter - cold brewing and bottling vs hot brewing won't change the level of the toxins already in the coffee.  I'll be careful to keep my work space clean.

I agree about the pasteurization - I would be hesitant about using a technique that would degrade the quality of my coffee.  I'm really curious to see what process is used by the commercial cold brew producers, however, I think they might not be to willing to share their trade secrets.

This is totally an at home venture, I don't plan to make a commercial product, nor do I plan to sell it.  

So bottom line - I don't have much to worry about if I use good sterile and sanitary methods.
john1234

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 3:01pm

@rmongiovi
Well I am using CO2 to purge the keg/brewing container and the bottles of oxygen - this is a pretty standard method used in beer brewing to keep oxygen out (oxygen+beer=skunky taste).  I'll also be boiling the water before hand which will also remove some oxygen.

The purpose behind this is to keep my coffee from going stale for as long as possible. I'm not actually sure if it will help.

So that's my big worry.   I wonder what stumptown and other cold brew coffee producers do...

With canned food or at least home canned food, the oxygen free environment comes from the boiling of the can before sealing.  Obviously I won't boil the bottles before I close them up.

@VKirby

See the reddit link I posted.  I basically want to make homemade bottled cold brew coffee in 50 bottle batches for home consumption.
jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 4:20pm

Blue Bottle claimed to use a cold pasteurization method. Irradiation?
coffeeguydenton

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 7:03am

john1234 Said:

@buckley
Perfect!

My botulism concern is mostly derived from the fact that I'm sealing a container (read: anerobic environment) with some type of food item and storing it room temperature for some period of time.

I am in school at a major medical school and have done lab work in another major medical school - perhaps I can track down a lab that does an assay for ochratoxin A or aflatoxin B1.  I think for my purposes, it doesn't really matter - cold brewing and bottling vs hot brewing won't change the level of the toxins already in the coffee.  I'll be careful to keep my work space clean.

I agree about the pasteurization - I would be hesitant about using a technique that would degrade the quality of my coffee.  I'm really curious to see what process is used by the commercial cold brew producers, however, I think they might not be to willing to share their trade secrets.

This is totally an at home venture, I don't plan to make a commercial product, nor do I plan to sell it.  

So bottom line - I don't have much to worry about if I use good sterile and sanitary methods.

Posted June 21, 2013 link

Where do you attend school?  I, too, am a medical school student.

Botulinum toxin is not a heat stable toxin, so the roasting process would destroy any preformed toxin.  The issue would be the spores, which could survive roasting.  This is a problem in babies because the spores can germinate in their gut, but in adults the normal flora should prevent that.  I do not believe that coffee itself would provide the nutrient rich environment needed for the spores to germinate, though I am no microbiologist and could be wrong.
john1234

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 3:14pm

@coffeeguydenton

Yea, I would imagine that the spores would probably die during roasting, but thats not the issue - spores could easily enter themselves during some part of the post roast process.

I do not believe that coffee itself would provide the nutrient rich environment needed for the spores to germinate, though I am no microbiologist and could be wrong.

That is my huge concern/question - could cold brew coffee support botulism growth.

Edit:  I'm at duke university, but not MD, but PA.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > food safety of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274369955063)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+