Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Strange behavior with Yama vacpot - question (yet another one)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Strange behavior...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
r_avital

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 6:03pm
Subject: Strange behavior with Yama vacpot - question (yet another one)

Hello all,

I signed up to post the following question, in the hope that you knowledgeable folks have ideas about this.

I'm a happy owner of the Yama 8-cup (40 oz.) vacpot, which gave me some headaches with stalling until I replaced the seal, and since then, it's been working just fine and dandy.

I noticed a strange behavior, but first I'll give you my procedure, so you can follow what I'm doing:
  1. Pre-boil the water in a kettle - I want to minimize the time the glass pot spends on my unreliable and inconsistent electric range.
  2. When water has boiled, I let it cool a minute, then pour it into the bottom bowl, insert the top bowl/funnel, which already has the cloth filter and fresh coffee grinds.  I put that on medium heat on the range.
  3. When the water in the bottom bowl has gone down to the 5-cup mark, I give the top bowl a rigorous stir, and never stir again.
  4. When all the water that CAN go up the tube has already gone up (about 3-4 minutes), I leave the pot on the medium heat for about 90 seconds to create a good vacuum.
  5. After 90 seconds, I remove the entire contraption from the heat, put it on a trivet on the counter.
  6. The coffee draws down nicely, within 5 to 6 minutes.  At the end, always, without fail, I see some nice, vigorous bubbling/gurgling activity, indicating the draw-down is done.  I also hear it (and I'm hard-of-hearing).  
  7. I wait until that gurgling is pretty much over, then gently remove the top bowl from the bottom, and again, every time, without fail, I hear the distinct "pop" sound that happens when vacuum is released.

I believe that 6 and 7 above mean that I'm getting a pretty good vacuum and I have a good seal, correct?

So here's the strange part, and it happens every single time: during the draw-down (say, when the "returned" coffee is at around the 5-cup mark), the tube from the top bowl slowly empties, and I see a large amount of very tiny bubbles on the surface of the coffee.  Almost like an effervescent process, like an Alka-Selzer dissolving in a glass of water.  This slows down the draw-down process, but it keeps going.  Coffee keeps going down the tube, but in little streaks and drops.  By the time the coffee in the bowl has gone up to the 7-cup mark, the tube from the top-bowl slowly fills up again, and the rest of the brew at the top continues to draw-down normally.

Doesn't bother me too much, but for curiosity's sake, I'd like to know if any of you have observed anything like this, and/or have an explanation for it.  Incidentally, this happens regardless of whether or not I overfill the bottom bowl.

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 7:07pm
Subject: Re: Strange behavior with Yama vacpot - question (yet another one)

If I may, as I have the same , and a couple of other vac pots, may I "amend" your technique a bit?
Hearing no objections (lol) try this:
#1 Pre heat your water, but not to 200f. When the water is get close slowly pour the pre-heated water into the bottom carafe. I would be good if you put a bit of warm water in the bottom, then pour out, so that you're not pouring hot into a cold glass pot.
#2. Grind your coffee, and as you're doing so, turn on the heat of the burner to MEDIUM. BTW, it would be wise to have a little metal heat diffuser under the pot when placing the pot directly on an electric burner.
#3. When the water down south is slightly bubbling, FULLY attach the the upper globe, first lightly wetting the gasket.
The water should start rising up north. When the water is half up north, SLOWLY pour the ground coffee into the upper globe. When you're done, nearly all the water should be up top, just prior to the final explosion. When the explosion up occurs, lower the hear to low, but high enough to maintain the slurry upstairs.
LIGHTLY stir with a chopstick, but mainly to free any grind sticking to the sides of the upper globe.
Counting the moment from the explosion, set your timer for 3 minutes. In a Yama, there will always be, and should be a bit of water down south. The steam from this is what maintains things up top. It is not boiling, but I use a thermocouple to check temp, just to make sure I'm around 202f.
DO NOT STIR while the brew process is going.
#4. When the time goes off, remove the pot from the heat, and gently place on a cool surface, or better still the vent blower, of you have one. Not sure if it's electric. Soak a couple of paper towels in cool, not cold water. Place them lightly on the sides of the upper globe for a few seconds. This will help to speed up the "drop down" back south.
You should see that start within 20-30 seconds.

SEE how this works for you.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
r_avital

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 8:21am

Thanks, Writer, I'll give it a try.

Yes, I neglected to mention, I do use a diffuser under the lower globe, always.  No burn marks of any kind on the glass.

About cooling the upper globe with wet paper towels - did you mean the LOWER globe, by chance?  I know that cools down the steam and helps create a stronger vacuum.

At any rate, thanks again, I'll try and report in a few days.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 8:51am

r_avital Said:

Thanks, Writer, I'll give it a try.

Yes, I neglected to mention, I do use a diffuser under the lower globe, always.  No burn marks of any kind on the glass.

About cooling the upper globe with wet paper towels - did you mean the LOWER globe, by chance?  I know that cools down the steam and helps create a stronger vacuum.

At any rate, thanks again, I'll try and report in a few days.

Posted June 20, 2013 link

Whoops..YES,. the lower globe. Nice catch!!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Strange behavior...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230682849884)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+