Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Bloom Part of Overall Extraction Time? (Chemex)
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bloom Part of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia w/ PID
Grinder: Preciso
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Chemex, aeropress
Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 11:30am
Subject: Bloom Part of Overall Extraction Time? (Chemex)

The title says it all: is bloom time considered to be part of overall extraction time, specifically as it relates to chemex brewing?

I know taste should be the ultimate guide, but I'm looking for a general framework.  Right now, I'm aiming for an overall extraction time of 3 1/2 to 4 minutes including a 30 second bloom.
 View Profile Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 12:33pm
Subject: Re: Bloom Part of Overall Extraction Time? (Chemex)

Of course it's subjective, but I think most would generally say yes, bloom time is considered part of the overall extraction time.
TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 1:10pm

Very true.  I guess it just seems like something that may be less subjective, something along the lines of brew temps or extraction times (all still subjective, but with generally accepted "ideal" ranges backed by some sort of science).

I currently include bloom in overall extraction time, but I thought perhaps bloom was akin to pre-infusion in espresso, which isn't considered in shot time.  Then, I started reading Scott Rao's "Professional Barista's Handbook", and he mentions beginning the espresso timer when the spro begins to leave the portafilter.  If applied to pour over (and I'm not necessarily sure it should be), it would further suggest that bloom shouldn't be part of extraction time.  This cast additional doubt over my current methodology, so I wanted a second opinion.  3rd, 4th, ...n'th opinions also welcome.
squaremile

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 1:46pm

Might just be a terminology issue. All the recipes you see for pour over are going to count the infusion time as part of the overall brewing time, unless specified. Another place to get some ideas on this would be some of the Brewer's Cup performances.
johnnyb3

Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus refurb
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 2:25pm

Garsh, I would have said just the opposite. I am used to discussion on brew time starting the clock after the bloom. That's useful, I think, because the bloom time can vary depending on lots of variables, most notably how recently the beans were roasted.
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 2:47pm

TurtlesAllTheWayDown Said:

I thought perhaps bloom was akin to pre-infusion in espresso, which isn't considered in shot time.  Then, I started reading Scott Rao's "Professional Barista's Handbook", and he mentions beginning the espresso timer when the spro begins to leave the portafilter.

Posted June 10, 2013 link

I've always considered preinfusion as part of the shot time. I think many on this forum practice both methods for espresso. That one is certainly more subjective than the initial question. I would assume it has a much greater impact on taste with the short time for espresso than it does with a larger volume and longer pour over brew.
TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 7:52pm

johnnyb3 Said:

Garsh, I would have said just the opposite. I am used to discussion on brew time starting the clock after the bloom. That's useful, I think, because the bloom time can vary depending on lots of variables, most notably how recently the beans were roasted.

From my armchair, I kind of agree.  It seems like it would be counted  separately from extraction time.  I guess I'll just have to try out the different methods and see which tastes best.

I'll post the results, assuming I have palette to differentiate between the two.
TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 8:09pm

tglodjo Said:

I've always considered preinfusion as part of the shot time. I think many on this forum practice both methods for espresso. That one is certainly more subjective than the initial question. I would assume it has a much greater impact on taste with the short time for espresso than it does with a larger volume and longer pour over brew.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply one was gospel.  But rather, if pre-infusion was used, it would be noted as "28 second extraction with an 8 second pre-infusion", or "36 second extraction" and in that instance we could assume there was a pre-infusion, based on the long extraction time.

What I meant to convey was that we would know whether there was a pre-infusion based on extraction time, and therefore, "36 second extraction" isn't subjective in the same way bloom is being considered currently.  I'm inclined to think that bloom either is or isn't part of extraction time.
MWJB

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Rocky, Lido, Porlex, Hario...
Drip: Not enough room to list...
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 4:36am

TurtlesAllTheWayDown Said:

The title says it all: is bloom time considered to be part of overall extraction time, specifically as it relates to chemex brewing?

I know taste should be the ultimate guide, but I'm looking for a general framework.  Right now, I'm aiming for an overall extraction time of 3 1/2 to 4 minutes including a 30 second bloom.

My feeling is "it depends"...if following a recipe that outlines a total brew time, then aim to match the described bloom time. However, 30seconds is probably best looked at as a minimum and not really part of the extraction per se. Many folk suggest blooming with water twice the weight of grinds as this is theoretically similar to the amount of water the grinds will absorb...ideally you should get nothing/next to nothing out. With this little amount of water you're not going to achieve a significant level of extraction relying on gravity, no matter how long you leave it (within reason).

With the Clever Dripper I have bloomed coarse grinds for up to 10minutes, level of extraction (with regards to achieving a cup of coffee) is still dependent on the brew water that follows.

Obviously if working with one kettle full, the longer you leave the bloom then the cooler your brew water & Chemex brewer becomes, but there's nothing to stop you blooming then boiling up some new brew water.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 9:09am
Subject: .

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Bloom Part of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329093933105)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+