Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
scale for pour over
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > scale for pour...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
ajf

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 10:28am
Subject: Re: scale for pour over

I use an AWS 100 gram scale that reads in 0.01 gram increments.  It costs less than $10.00, and although I don't need that accuracy for coffee, I do for other things.

Alan
 View Profile Link to this post
Eastsideloco
Eastsideloco
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '74 Cremina, '91 Livietta...
Grinder: Vario-W, mid-century...
Vac Pot: Cona C, Kono PR 3, Hellem...
Drip: Kalita Wave, V60, Chemex,...
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 11:10am

You can't use that scale for brewing, which was nominally the subject of the OP (roughly 11 months ago.) There are a lot of options for brewing scales. These are representative of the scales one might use for brewing:

CJ 4000: Click Here (www.amazon.com)

American Weigh 2000: Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Hario scale/timer: Click Here (www.amazon.com)

The American Weigh model actually has the resolution needed for espresso dosing. But generally you'll want two separate scales for these tasks. The Hario scale has a timer, but runs about twice the price of the CJ 4000, which is used in a lot of shops.

If cost isn't an issue—and datalogging or social networking functionality is—Mark Prince recently wrote a positive review of the Acacia scale:

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 11:42am

One thing to note is that the resolution of a scale is often greater than the actual precision. For example, the AMW-2000 (2000g x 0.1g) reads down to 0.1g resolution but has a repeatability of ±0.2g. So you really can't measure precisely to the tenth of a gram with it. To get that precision, inexpensively, it's better to have a second scale with higher resolution and less overall range. When I weigh coffee to be within 0.1g I use a $15 scale that reads .01g. I can't weigh the water for a big pot of coffee with it though. You can buy a scale with both a wide range and fine resolution but it will cost you more than buying two scales to cover two different requirements.
ajf

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 2:29pm

Eastsideloco Said:

You can't use that scale for brewing, which was nominally the subject of the OP (roughly 11 months ago.)

Posted May 12, 2014 link

I bought the scale for measuring the addition of water treatment salts when brewing beer.  If I am weighing less than 100g, of course I can use it.  If I need to weigh more than 100g, I don't need the extra precision, and I use my kitchen scale which has 1g resolution.  It's less than 1/2 the price of any of the ones that you linked to (or in my case, the price was 0, as I already had it), which is what jpender suggested.

Alan
Eastsideloco
Eastsideloco
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '74 Cremina, '91 Livietta...
Grinder: Vario-W, mid-century...
Vac Pot: Cona C, Kono PR 3, Hellem...
Drip: Kalita Wave, V60, Chemex,...
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 4:00pm

Apologies. The subject of the thread threw me for a loop. Given the nature of the question, a better subject might have been "scale for dosing."

There is definitely a benefit to using a higher resolution scale for weighing doses. The challenge is that most high resolution scales aren't rated adequately for use when brewing that coffee.

When I travel, I use my dosing scale, a 550-g MyWeigh Triton T2, while brewing with an Aeropress. But otherwise, I use its bigger brothers for brewing.

Eastsideloco: 8817515394_1f323895fb_n.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > scale for pour...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.246533155441)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+