Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
New Commercial Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer for an early Father's Day Present!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Commercial...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
gamehawker
gamehawker
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless/Doserless
Drip: Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer
Roaster: 2 Fresh Roast Plus8 setup
Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 2:03pm
Subject: New Commercial Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer for an early Father's Day Present!

My wife bought me a new Commercial Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer for a Father's Day present to replace my 10+ year old leaky Bunn BT10 Coffee Brewer.  It was delivered today.  It's a big, serious, awesome looking coffee brewer.  I have all of my coffee equipment in the corner on the counter under the cabinets.  My coffee procedure with the old Bunn BT10 was to slide it out from under the corner cabinet, I flip the lid open on top and pour water in, flip the lid back and slide it back under the corner cabinet.  This new CW15-TC brewer was too tall to do that (my cabinet clearance from the counter to the bottom of the cabinets are 18.25 inches.  It slides back but there is a hump where the lid is and it will not let it slide back further.  So I was really bummed for about an hour and thought of a solution.  There are rubber feet (four) on the bottom of the brewer.  And even if the brewer could have fit under the cabinet the sliding would have been difficult because this brewer weighs over 28 pounds (the Bunn BT10 was only 10 pounds) and the rubber feet did not slide very well because of the weight.  So I unscrewed the four rubber feet and it now works!  I also put a tea towel under the bottom of the brewer to help it slide better and to prevent scratching of the granite counter-tops.  I'll try to find a nicer silicone material at Bed, Bath & Beyond store or a Home Depot.

This is my second try with a replacement coffee brewer for my old Bunn BT10.  I bought a new 64 oz. Technivorm Grand Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe last week but returned it on Monday because it did not compare to my Bunn BT10 when doing blind taste tests over the weekend.

See this thread for more details:

"Which Technivorm is considered to be the best?"

I'm looking forward to comparing this new Commercial Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer with my old trusty Bunn BT10 Coffee Brewer but I have a feeling this coffee brewer is not going to be returned like the 64 oz. Technivorm Grand Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe.

I give an update after the weekend after the blind taste tests.
 View Profile Link to this post
gamehawker
gamehawker

Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 5:12pm
Subject: Re: New Commercial Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer for an early Father's Day Present!

Here's a pic of my new set-up.  Don't razz me about the Nespresso Lattissima Plus machine.  It's my wife's'.

gamehawker: Bunn2mm.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 6:36pm
Subject: Re: New Commercial Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer for an early Father's Day Present!

Is this model like the Bunn Velocity where it is "always on"?

Alot of homes sure have not had their kitchens designed with coffee geeks in mind.  The steam and heat from these appliances can affect food products in the cabinets above (if you use them for that); I know that from experience so I moved my whole assembly to a table in our kitchen I set up specifically for all my stuff.  I have my grinder, La Pavoni Lever, Technivorm Moccamaster, and other stuff on it.  Works out better than the under the cabinet scenario.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RussK
RussK

Espresso: Alex II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Type B
Drip: Bunn DV TC / Chemex / Hario...
Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 8:09pm

Awesome Father's Day gift!

I believe you will indeed like it. I have been using a Bunn Axiom DV TC which is very similar in size and layout but with a few different features such as being plumbed and the digital controls
so you change temps and calibrate the flow and such.

In the past I was supplying coffee beans to a small bakery that my brother owned so I bought it for use there. He ended up selling the bakery after about 2 months so I had a nearly brand new coffee maker to do something with and you know the rest of the story.

I have really enjoyed it!
gamehawker
gamehawker

Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 5:12am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Is this model like the Bunn Velocity where it is "always on"?

Alot of homes sure have not had their kitchens designed with coffee geeks in mind.  The steam and heat from these appliances can affect food products in the cabinets above (if you use them for that); I know that from experience so I moved my whole assembly to a table in our kitchen I set up specifically for all my stuff.  I have my grinder, La Pavoni Lever, Technivorm Moccamaster, and other stuff on it.  Works out better than the under the cabinet scenario.

Len

Posted June 6, 2013 link

Thanks for the suggestion.  

In the cabinets above the coffee brewer is only plates and dishes.  I had my old Bunn BT10 in the same place for many years as the new Bunn CW15-TC so I do not think it will be a problem.

I had my first pot of coffee out of the new Bunn CW15-TC this morning and I was not disappointed.  The coffee came out nice and dark with a nice flavor, richness and strength.  I'm doing a side by side blind taste test comparing the old Bunn BT10 with the new Bunn CW15-TC this weekend when I have more time.  I will use the same amount of fresh ground coffee from my Macap M4 Stepless/Doserless grinder (I also roast my own beans)  and the same amount of water for each brewer in both tests.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 8:05am

Hey Gamehawker...  Big Congrats on your Father's Day gift---awesome!

Does Bunn still make your old model BT10? Didn't see any models with that same model number, unless they've changed/updated to a different number.

Interested in hearing your 'side by side' comments after the weekend.
msboo

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 10:09am

Checked Bunn site again.... your old brewer must be Velocity Brew BT (10 cup) w/thermal carafe?

Gets great reviews from what I've read here-there but a few complaints about leaking. Maybe they've fixed that? Seems a lot of those w/that problem say it's still worth repurchasing since coffee's so good.
gamehawker
gamehawker

Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 11:15am

msboo Said:

Hey Gamehawker...  Big Congrats on your Father's Day gift---awesome!

Does Bunn still make your old model BT10? Didn't see any models with that same model number, unless they've changed/updated to a different number.

Interested in hearing your 'side by side' comments after the weekend.

Posted June 7, 2013 link

msboo Said:

Checked Bunn site again.... your old brewer must be Velocity Brew BT (10 cup) w/thermal carafe?

Gets great reviews from what I've read here-there but a few complaints about leaking. Maybe they've fixed that? Seems a lot of those w/that problem say it's still worth repurchasing since coffee's so good.

Posted June 7, 2013 link

You are correct, my old Bunn BT10 was replaced with the Bunn Velocity BT (thermal carafe).  I have no experience with this new coffee brewer but I loved my Bunn BT10.  It leaked twice in the 10+ years of have been using it and Bunn sent a free fix both times to fix the leak.  It is now starting to leak again and I do not think the repair will fix it this time.  I absolutely loved it and it has been a great coffee brewer besides the leaky problem.
gamehawker
gamehawker

Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 8:24am

Well my wife and I are finished with the two blind taste tests and the new Commercial Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer is a keeper!  Because the funnel basket is bigger in the Commercial Bunn CW15-TC and it also has 6 hole spray head compared to the restricted 3 hole spray head in the Bunn BT10 I had to slightly tweak and do a finer grind from my Macap M4 Stepless/Doserless grinder for the Bunn CW15-TC.  We feel in the comparison tests (especially after I tweaked the grind for this morning's test) it was hard to tell which coffee came from which coffee brewer.  They both were great and satisfying (according to our taste-buds) in flavor, richness and strength.  Unlike the 64 oz. Technivorm Grand Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe that I had first and returned, the Bunn CW15-TC had the same deep color of brewed coffee and aroma as the Bunn BT10 even before the grinding tweaking.  The Thermal Carafe with the Bunn CW15-TC is incredible and the coffee is significantly hotter longer than both the Bunn BT10's Thermal Carafe and the Technivorm Grand Coffee Maker's Thermal Carafe.  With the 64 oz. capacity of the Bunn CW15-TC we are in coffee nirvana on the weekends because there is enough coffee for both my wife and me with only have to make just one pot.

And with it being a commercial grade coffee brewer I feel that this Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer will be around for many, many years to enjoy!

If you are interested in buying one of these wonderful Bunn commercial coffee brewers, I would highly recommend KaTom Restaurant Supplies (it is where I bought the Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer) for price, recommendations and quick delivery:  

http://www.katom.com/021-230010040.html

Remember the coffee brewer does not come with the thermal carafe and you have to buy that too:

http://www.katom.com/021-360290001.html

Also, here are the recommended coffee filters for the Bunn CW15-TC Coffee Brewer.  They are pretty inexpensive:

http://www.katom.com/021-201150000.html
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 9:05am

Kind of glad to hear that.  I thought your old one might have been a ringer, & after the technivorm didn't measure up, maybe nothing of that size would have.

Thanks for following up & congrats on the CW15-TC.  It looks even better, more serious & professional than the grand.
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > New Commercial...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.345056056976)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+