Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
High water temp on my Bonavita ??
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > High water temp...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 5:00am
Subject: High water temp on my Bonavita ??

Measured temp in two places.....   1- 204+ (maybe 205) right where hot water drips from machine and into filter basket AND 2- temp in slurry 204 to 205.5 (some fluctuating there as machine pulsed/dripped more water, especially toward end of brewing). I know we want temps from 195-205 but ARE MY MACHINE TEMPS TOO HIGH if staying @ 204 to 204.5 and up to 205.5 at it's highest?

Next brew cycle I'm testing again more accurately where water drips from machine. I used a Taylor 9847N I saw recommended here by some members.

Opinions and comments much appreciated!
 View Profile Link to this post
ducatiroger

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rio Manual
Grinder: DRM
Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 4:20pm
Subject: Re: High water temp on my Bonavita ??

The temps do sound too high.  Maybe check the calibration of the Taylor?  Boiling water would let us know where to look next.

Good luck!
msboo

Posted Tue Jun 4, 2013, 5:28pm

Good idea, Ducatiroger. Thanks, that didn't occur to me. Fingers crossed as I'm up to here w/what seems to be lack of quality control.
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 6:57am

There are a few questions I have:

1) are you brewing a full pot?
2) how long have you had the machine - could it be scaled up? - scale will give more resistance to flow through the element, so the water will need to heat further to make it to the showerhead.
3) what temperature is the water in the reservoir at? - hotter will lead to hotter water at the showerhead, as there's some cooling of the water as the pipe passes back through the reservoir on the way to shower head (not much, because the pipe is separated from the reservoir, but maybe a degree or two).

But first calibrate your thermometer by measuring the temperature of boiling water, and comparing to the boiling point at your altitude.
msboo

Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 3:30pm

I've had my Bonavita since 11/22/2012, just a little over 6 mos now. Yes, brewing whole pot (40oz) AND water is cool-cold when poured into reservoir. I checked my thermometer (Taylor 9847N) today in boiling water---210.5, which is in line with our altitude 978' and 210.265 F boiling point here (Lexington, KY).

OK, lots going on here currently so I have ____ for brains (LOL, love to hear Netphilospher's commentary on that!)

If you're brewing at 205 (highest in 195-205 range) and your boiling point is 212, you are brewing 7 degrees below boiling point. Currently I'm brewing at 204.5-205 which is apprx 5.24-5.74 degrees below my 210.265 boiling point (w/temp in slurry fluctuating 204 to 205.5, 4.74 degrees below my boiling point at highest).

Going to check brew temps again tomorrow. Do high temps cause bitterness or what? Coffee's been very inconsistent but could be due to grinder.
msboo

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 1:12pm

Measured water temp on brewer again. 205, 205.5, up to 206 then back to 205.5 and down to 204 then on back up to 206.  Calling the distributor.
woodscomp

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 3:21pm

I brewed at 205 on my Brazen, that is what I found worked best for my coffee. And I am not that much lower than you are in Knoxville, TN

I just replaced my Brazen with a Bonavita, and I can honestly say I wish I had purchased it from the start. Simple, quick, makes a great cup of coffee, I am happy with mine. My next pot I will check the temps on mine on though and let you know what i find.
msboo

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 10:40pm

Thanks for your comments and curious about your Bonavita temps.
adekorte
adekorte

Espresso: Nespresso Pixie
Grinder: Rocky Rancillo, Baratza...
Drip: Bonavita BV1800,Technivorm...
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 9:31am

Hi,

I just measured the temperature a with a precision Laboratory Fluke (2175A) with a (30 Gage) K type thermocouple .  I placed it about .125" from the center outlet hole of my office Bovavita glass brewer.  The temperature at the 1 minute point of operation hitting 202-207 degrees F. The temperature in the basket should be somewhat cooler, maybe 2-3 degrees F.  I did not measure the basket temp!  I will do that some other day. The bonavita water tank was filled for this test at the 400ml mark. The total time for this test was about 2 minutes.

I've been using my bonavita now for about 5-7 weeks and still can't get the taste of my KBTS technivorm!  The temperature from the Technivorm measured the same way is about 3-4 degrees F  cooler! I think there is some over extraction going on.  I does bug me that I can't get the coffee essence/taste as home with the technivorm KBTS.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 12:16pm

msboo Said:

I checked my thermometer (Taylor 9847N) today in boiling water---210.5, which is in line with our altitude 978' and 210.265 F boiling point here (Lexington, KY).

Posted June 6, 2013 link

Not that it matters here but if you're going for that many significant digits you'll also want to consider the barometric pressure. For example, in the last three days the boiling point of water at 978' in Lexington, KY theoretically varied between about 209.8 and 210.4 F along with the change in the barometer.

Another thing -- in the temperature range you're looking at those Taylor thermometers have a resolution of either 0.5F or 0.1C, so you get a more precise reading if you switch the mode to Celsius.

I have two of those Taylor 9847N probes and both are accurate to within 1C in the range 15 to 95C.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > High water temp...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274740934372)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+