Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 263 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MrMug

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 5:43am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

First off, congrats (and thanks) to Mr. Adler for a brilliantly designed device. I bought my Aeropress less than a week ago and I'm already in love with it.

NOW FOR MY CONTRIBUTION:

I don't know if anyone's tried this yet, but the other day I experimented with a technique I call the "Double Pump"

What you do is you prepare a cup using the recommended hot water temp (to slightly cooler), stir and steep for recommended time interval and press through at normal, recommended speed.

THEN, you slowly pull the plunger back up and out and refill the chamber with same temp hot water (to slightly cooler), give a quick stir and immediately press through again, slowly. (You'll actually find there's more resistance on the second pump.)

I have found this yields an extraordinarily flavorful cup of coffee, with all kinds of flavor notes that weren't there using the traditional, single pump-through technique.

Good luck, and let me know what you think of the technique (if it hasn't already been tried and discussed).
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 9:49am
Subject: ...

CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:14am

Netphilosopher Said:

I've called this "staged brewing".  You're basically completing a normal brew, but then you're running a second stage infusion (with minimal steep time) which "rinses" the remaining coffee from the grounds.  It's sort of in-between a percolation and infusion brew.  If you do multiple stages like that, you can emulate something like a percolation type brew.

Works really well for me, I do it probably a third of the time when I'm not doing any type of experimentation.  I also do something similar with my Clever Coffee Dripper - except I don't have the benefit of forced percolation.

The method is also a GREAT way to increase the yield from the AeroPress.  Theoretically, you could do several series of pours/stirs/pumps and get a lot more of the TDS out of the coffee.  

It's how I've done something that approaches a technical espresso shot (yield of 30g, strength 5.25% from 8g of coffee - done in approximate 10g increments - 4 stages total, and keeping the brew water hot between stages).  Aside from the lack of crema, it was remarkably similar to a shot produced from an old Gaggia Superauto that I play with occasionally.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Wouldn't that be sorta getting into over-extracting the coffee, or does that not effect the Aeropress in how it works?
MrMug

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:30am

Netphilosopher Said:

I've called this "staged brewing".  You're basically completing a normal brew, but then you're running a second stage infusion (with minimal steep time) which "rinses" the remaining coffee from the grounds.  It's sort of in-between a percolation and infusion brew.  If you do multiple stages like that, you can emulate something like a percolation type brew.

Works really well for me, I do it probably a third of the time when I'm not doing any type of experimentation.  I also do something similar with my Clever Coffee Dripper - except I don't have the benefit of forced percolation.

The method is also a GREAT way to increase the yield from the AeroPress.  Theoretically, you could do several series of pours/stirs/pumps and get a lot more of the TDS out of the coffee.  

It's how I've done something that approaches a technical espresso shot (yield of 30g, strength 5.25% from 8g of coffee - done in approximate 10g increments - 4 stages total, and keeping the brew water hot between stages).  Aside from the lack of crema, it was remarkably similar to a shot produced from an old Gaggia Superauto that I play with occasionally.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

I figured its been tried before, seeing how it's such an easy gadget to experiment with.
MrMug

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:33am

CMIN Said:

Wouldn't that be sorta getting into over-extracting the coffee, or does that not effect the Aeropress in how it works?

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Actually, the reason I tried it was because I didn't think I was getting enough extraction. I think it works particularly well with light roast coffees...really brings out the flavors. Not sure you need to do it with darker roasts because I suspect they release their oils and such much more easily.
MrMug

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:37am

One more tip I discovered (again, probably more obvious than I realize):

There's no reason you can't use flat basket drip coffee filters with the Aeropress. You just position the flat part against the filter cap as you normally would and it seals it in just the same. It just perfs the filter where it needs to and you have excess filter hanging off the sides. The microfilters are certainly more convenient, but if you run out and find yourself in a jam, flat basket filters work perfectly fine.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:42am

MrMug Said:

Actually, the reason I tried it was because I didn't think I was getting enough extraction. I think it works particularly well with light roast coffees...really brings out the flavors. Not sure you need to do it with darker roasts because I suspect they release their oils and such much more easily.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Interesting, cool to know. I would have assumed that would have caused over extraction.
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 12:03pm

jpender
jpender

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 12:24pm

I tried stage brewing only once and the coffee tasted overextracted. Now maybe the grind was too fine or there were too many fines in the grind. That plus the extra time involved could have led to overextraction even without a second infusion. I haven't gone back to try again.

I found it very easy to accidently dislodge the paper filter when withdrawing the plunger. This problem is solved by using a metal filter either alone or in conjunction with a paper filter.

If what Netphilosopher says is true about the second infusion merely rinsing the coffee then to maximize the yield the ratio of the two infusions should be about 55/45.
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 12:51pm

showing page 263 of 289 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356230974197)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+