Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
?? Best auto drip for brewing half/partial pots of coffee
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ?? Best auto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 3:19pm
Subject: Re: ?? Best auto drip for brewing half/partial pots of coffee

OK.....  EricBNC and ________, when you guys brew 500ml in your Bonavitas do you just flip the ON switch and let her go---no stopping water flow for bloom, etc (although water continues to drip thru filter basket since no flow control like TV)?

OR do you adjust your grind (finer)?

Anything?
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 5:02pm

Yup.

My Technivorms don't have the flow control gizmo anyway (filter sits on top of the pot like the Melitta/Bonavita device).
pwest
pwest
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: Vario
Drip: TV, Moka Pot, Aeropress
Roaster: Stirred Turbo Oven
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 5:07pm

msboo Said:

Pwest....  Does your TV filter basket have the shut-off control on it?

Posted May 27, 2013 link

Yes, and I usually make coffee as follows:
- add 20 oz of water to the TV
- grind 1.4 oz of beans (setting 8j on my Vario)
- put a filter in the basket, add the grounds, and close the valve
- put the carafe (I use the very nice Thermos Nissan TGS06SC 0.6-L Vacuum Insulated Tabletop Carafe, not the original TV carafe) under the basket and turn the brewer on
- after a few spurts of water shoot into the basket, I remove the lid and stir the grounds around until they are well saturated
- put the lid back on and open the valve about half way.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 3:37am

msboo Said:

OK.....  EricBNC and ________, when you guys brew 500ml in your Bonavitas do you just flip the ON switch and let her go---no stopping water flow for bloom, etc (although water continues to drip thru filter basket since no flow control like TV)?

OR do you adjust your grind (finer)?

Anything?

Posted May 29, 2013 link

I use setting 20 on my Preciso which is calibrated to grind for espresso at setting 9 - 11. This #20 setting gives a nice grind for auto drip and I use it fir the TV and BV when making 500 ml pots. My TV has the flow control so I use the middle (slower) setting. If I don't the grounds do not get saturated as well as they do in the Bonavita.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
msboo

Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 6:48pm

EricBNC and _______, thanks guys, good stuff to know. My brews have been not so consistent so probably due to my grinder. Waiting for 2nd replacement Virtuoso so hoping for things to turn around, been grinding w/Infinity temporarily so issues there too.

With my original Virtuoso I had to dial back to #12 for decent drip, had boulders on #20!! Took the case off and it was calibrated to finest window---wasn't going to change it anyway but I was all over the place in the beginning trying to find a good drip grind as a beginner.

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 3:33am

I think you've been unfortunate with your grinder.  I use a Dualit badged Solis166 for all non-espresso brewing. Inexpensive, and long since disappeared from the radar on here since newer grinders came along.  However, it seems to do a very good consistent job for drip brewing, and also for vacuum pots. For the latter I use both Cona glass rod filters and Bodum plastic filters.  Both have a reputation for being picky about the grind, but I've never ever had any problem with clogging or stalling.

Maybe I'm just fortunate and got a good one, but at the price I'd recommend them to anyone if they can be found.  (Also badged as the Starbucks Barista I think).

Hope you get it sorted.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 8:22am

__________ Said:

I use a Dualit badged Solis166 for all non-espresso brewing. Inexpensive, and long since disappeared from the radar on here since newer grinders came along.  However, it seems to do a very good consistent job for drip brewing, and also for vacuum pots.

Posted May 31, 2013 link

I have the Solis badged Solis 166, I agree, it is a good little grinder and well worth looking for.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 8:29am

Thanks and yes, unfortunate---new grinder down since May 6 so purchased a back-up locally. 2nd replacement due to arrive 6/4 or 5 (8 days ship time) so keeping fingers crossed. With over a week shipping time twice then emails, this has been little time consuming.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > ?? Best auto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28823184967)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+