Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Behmor Brazen users weigh in
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Behmor Brazen...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
woodscomp

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 9:50pm
Subject: Re: Behmor Brazen users weigh in

My interpretation of that is NO water is good. Or there are a 100 qualifications of before it is acceptable to brew with. Which simply goes against what the SCAA has established as the base line for there test. I for one did not sign up so I would have to install a reverse osmosis system in my house.

I use a Bunn EQHP-10L filter system the same as I use in my kitchens, that significantly reduces lime scale and sediments. It is a good filter system. I would be willing to pit results from my filter against the Zero (brita knock off) any day.

Behmor does not know coffee brewers, they know marketing, they know features that would spark interest. All the rest is fluff. My very simple Bonavita with a 1400 watt steam engine in it will output a full pot in under 6 minutes from the time you hit the go button to the time your pouring your first cup. Simple and it works.
 View Profile Link to this post
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 10:03pm

Thanks.

Sounds reasonable, except they probably shouldn't speak to "ALL" other brewers' sensitivities, precautions etc.
The_Coffee_Guy
The_Coffee_Guy
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Behmor BraZen Brew System,...
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 4:26am

If there is anyone still considering this great brewer (had to say that because it is and I haven't seen any good comments in ages here)...

After having one since October, I am getting consistent results of great coffee using a scale to weigh each lot of beans, a great grinder (Maestro Plus) and I am now going through variations of roasts (some from Costco and some using the Behmor 1600 roaster thanks to my dad)

Joe Behm has figured out that if you have a brewer where you can adjust altitude, temperature and pre-soak time, even the freshest of roasts can be fully enjoyed in the cup. There have of course been hickups with others and probably will continue to be so as the brewer is fine tuned. I guess I am one of the lucky ones to have a Brazen that has none of the issues being discussed in this forum. Being in the area of Toronto Canada we don't have water hardness issues compared to other areas which is partially why I don't have to discuss the quality of water going in to the Brazen. I bought my dad a Brazen recently and it has been running as flawless as mine so I really don't think the issues brought up are very wide spread in the manufacturing line.

For those of you on the fence, I recommend purchasing this unit if you love coffee and better yet love experimenting with different beans from different locations. The Brazen has proved to produce a reliable, repeatable excellent cup for the settings used (as everyone has different tastes).

Now, back to a Brazen cup of coffee

Adam
Atredeis

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: BraZen, Cuisinart, Bonavita
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 4:37am

It does make good coffee. I just have reliability issues and according to Behmor it's all because of my water.

So, I just pulled the trigger on a Bonavita. If anyone is interested in a slightly used (just replaced under warranty two weeks ago) BraZen at a good price, PM me and we can work something out.
BOTR

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 5:49am

Cannot for the life of me figure out how to PM you. Shoot me a msg with your price if you get a chance. Not sure if I can pull the triiger or not, but Im interested.

Thanks,
Chris
Atredeis

Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: BraZen, Cuisinart, Bonavita
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 7:19am

I added a public email to my profile. Apparently there aren't PMs on coffeegeek.
BOTR

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 8:39am

Ill email when I'm off work tonight. Thanks.
PandaMatic

Grinder: Hario MSS-1B Mini, Baratza...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 4:01pm

Having now owned the Brazen since last Wednesday, I have to ask: When does the plastic smell/taste go away?

I've run upwards of 15 pots and water only runs, and the distinct plastic taste persists. The taste on the first pot I made (after two cleaning runs I may add) was so strong that I could literally taste an acrid, burnt plastic flavor in my mouth throughout the workday.

After reading some suggestions in earlier threads, I have been hand washing and letting the plastic parts air dry every night. To some extent the smell is lessened, but not to the point where it is imperceptible. In fact, it's still so prevalent that it distracts from the flavor of the coffee and leaves an unpleasant aftertaste.

Any suggestions? Even my old, cheap Mr. Coffee brewed with no plastic taste.
Disc

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 12:41pm

I had the same experience as you when I bought the Brazen last December. After one small sip I felt nauseous and the taste stuck with me for hours. It took about a week of regular washing, air drying, and brewing old coffee before the plastic smell stopped having a noticeable impact on the brew. It did linger with the machine for a month or two, but is now completely gone.

The only suggestions I have is to run several brew cycles with diluted vinegar. This was effective in reducing the scent, however regular use for an extended period of time is the only way to eliminate it.

I'm glad I didn't return the Brazen during that first week, as it has been producing wonderful coffee since then.
Prof
Prof
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: PV Lusso
Grinder: Pharos 696, Zass
Drip: Aeropress, Brazen
Roaster: Behmor, TO/SC, Poppery I
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 5:05pm

woodscomp wrote:  "... Behmor does not know coffee brewers, they know marketing, they know features that would spark interest. All the rest is fluff..." and "With the new machine I also received the "Five Key Factors to Great Coffee" Anyone looking for a good laugh should read this.  I would like to add a sixth key factor, do not buy a Brazen. These guys are hacks, they do not belong making coffee makers. "

We all know this is your opinion based on your experience(s), and perhaps written at time(s) of frustration.

But the statement is false.  Joe B does know his stuff.  QC concerns at the Chinese factory are being addressed.  

The forum does try to keep a tone of civility, even when complaints are being aired.

LMWDP # 010
showing page 5 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Behmor Brazen...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253324985504)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+