Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Need good back-up electric grinder
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 3:08pm
Subject: Need good back-up electric grinder

My Virtuoso's been down and I don't want to hand grind. Wondered which might be best for times like this, an Infinity or Bodom Bistro OR any other burr grinder that would produce a fairly consistent grind (considering it would cost less).

Thanks for any tips/ info offered.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 3:49pm
Subject: Re: Need good back-up electric grinder

Guessing you mean to use with you Bonavita?  How about an Encore? I know you said you don't want a manual powered grinder, but they're great for travel and can be used in a power outtage too.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
msboo

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 1:01pm

Emradguy....  yes, Bonavita as I use mainly auto drip (no espresso). Yes also to, in case of power outage or travel, I do need to get one of the Skertons---the Mini or the larger one w/mod kit from OE. The Infinity I'm using right now has so much grounds retention and now the hopper drifts when grinding SO have to keep it steady while grinding. BUT it is my back-up at the moment so can't complain too much, just timely to fool with cleaning out EVERY time. I figured the Encore might be good for back-up without having to fool with it as I'm currently doing w/Infinity---cost more but I've about had it. My Virtuoso is taking too much time to sort out but I like the fact they are repairable---just am NOT repairing something new.  

My main reason for asking about a back-up grinder was IF THERE WAS ANYTHING BETTER FOR AROUND THE SAME PRICE AS the #560 Infinity (plastic housing) for this temporary purpose.

Call me 'Plan B Person' but I've always had an extra carafe for my brewers 'just in case' SO need to do the same where grinding is concerned. GOTTA HAVE MY JOE!

Bonavita owners----(you may have already seen this BUT... ) you can get an extra thermal carafe (on well known site for everything) for a great price, currently $34.62 new----comes as a Melitta 8-cup Pour-Over which includes that same filter basket w/stainless trimmed handle that's on the Bonavita.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 7:33am

so, I had to look up the price for the Infinity.  I know it was low, but not really how low.  I found it at one place for about $90 when I googled it, but don't know if that's high, low or average.

I don't know how much the refurb Baratza Encore and Virtuoso grinders are, or even how often they become available, but they may be worth looking into.  I suspect that, other than a manual grinder, you're stuck with similar quality as the Infinity for a new unit costing $100 or less.  Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with any electric grinder under $100, as my first real grinder was about $125 10 years ago. I wish I could help you more.

I understand your need for a backup...I have  three electric grinders and two manual grinders.  I don't really understand though why you don't just pick up a manual grinder as your only backup.  Given you don't want to fix a new grinder, I would think you're going through the steps to get your Virtuoso repaired or replaced under warranty from Baratza...and wouldn't need to use the backup very long.  Have you contacted Baratza support? In my experience, and the bazillion posts I've read about others' experiences with them, their support is about as fantastic as it comes. Also, to me, the Virtuoso is as car travel friendly as it gets for an electric grinder, so there's no need to have a backup electric for travel, and a back up electric won't help you in case of a prolonged power failure.  But hey...to each his own.  Good luck!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
msboo

Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 9:45am

Emradguy.... thanks for your comments. I picked up the Infinity @ my local BB&B for $72 before tax (retail $90 then 20% off)---great price off store shelf. Probably can't do better for a temp grinder for that price/performance. Making full pots most morns, therefore better to have electric back-up. Refurb Encore is $85 + shipping is $102, not bad either.

My new (original) Virtuoso's been out since 5/6 then 8 days to ship replacement---phone and emails, taking time to email me back. I know I'm not their only customer but I'm about to give up. Memorial Wkend now so giving them til Tues then sending this replacement back. Next w/call bout what to do with original. Don't want to use Infinity any longer than neccessary---not horrible but is a big pain!
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 11:22am

msboo Said:

Emradguy.... thanks for your comments. I picked up the Infinity @ my local BB&B for $72 before tax (retail $90 then 20% off)---great price off store shelf.

Posted May 27, 2013 link

I would be shocked if you find an electric conical burr grinder worth having for less than $72 new in the box. Maybe used, or some lucky blue moon close out, but NIB? Not likely...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
msboo

Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 11:36am

EricBNC....  Thanks for your input as well. That's what I thought but wanted to ask since you guys know better what's out there than I. W/stick with Infinity for back-up.
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 11:46am

If you are already using a Virtuoso, I don't have to sell you on the quality and excellent customer service of the Baratza grinders. Why consider other low cost grinders? Just go out and get the best deal you can on a good used or refurbished Baratza (Maestro, Maestro Plus, Encore, whatever)
msboo

Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 5:15pm

Dooglas...  I'd be using my Virtuoso if it worked. We've been talking about a back-up grinder.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Need good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278426885605)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+