Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
A Quality Grinder for Pour Over Coffee Under $200? Can it Be Done??
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A Quality...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 4:52pm
Subject: Re: A Quality Grinder for Pour Over Coffee Under $200? Can it Be Done??

slurpy Said:

Still, this discussion began with the question being about both value and about performance, and I think this context neatly disqualifies a shiny golden object like the Rosco where the differences in performance indeed exist, but do not offer twice the performance of the grinder in step with its doubling of the cost. Essentially, I wanted to frame this discussion in practical terms, so that we could be as inclusive as possible and our discussion could benefit the greatest number of people. There are very few people for whom money is no object, and in my personal experience, far fewer still in the world of coffee appreciation.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

Of course, I agree with you 100%. I think it's good that the inventor of the LIDO made certain compromises so that the grinder is affordable. In fact, as of this afternoon I now own a LIDO, not a Rosco, for this very reason.

slurpy Said:

Finally, I was not aware that the Lido's burr set can be knocked out of alignment from getting knocked around. If this were true, it would be a huge problem, and cause for considering another device simply for this major flaw. Can anyone verify this from personal experience?

Posted May 25, 2013 link

You can find a detailed report here. I suspect it is not a common problem. In any event, if it does happen, you can correct it yourself.
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 6:20pm
Subject: Re: A Quality Grinder for Pour Over Coffee Under $200? Can it Be Done??

^^^ Slurpy, right, that issue has only ever been reported once AFAIK. I've been knocking on LIDOs #002 and #003 for quite a while now with no alignment problems whatsoever.

You might consider PMing Dave, a great guy and fellow "coffee professional" working at Kaffe 1668 (HB profile), since he owns a LIDO (see here); maybe you could test it out the next time you're in the city.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 9:25am
Subject: .

IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 10:03am

I just gifted a friend with a refurb Baratza Encore refurb.
After calibrating it, I compared my Hario grind from my Preciso with the Encore. Nearly identical.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 6:34pm

slurpy Said:

Unfortunately, having reached the exciting conclusion, I've never seen the Lido or the Pharos available for sale! I've checked the website a half dozen times over the last couple of years and it's chronically out of stock. Maybe I have poor timing - totally possible. This certainly doesn't disqualify it, but obviously that's a deterrent. If I can't actually buy the damn thing, what does it matter!! But I assume that one can contact OE and get the details on its next release, which I will do and report back in time.

Posted May 24, 2013 link

p.s. According to OE, the LIDO will be back in stock tomorrow (Tues.) afternoon (source).
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 3:50am

Netphilosopher

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 3:57am

emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:44am

That sounds about right for me too grinding a 20g dose in less than a minute for my Espro press.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 8:18am

jbviau Said:

p.s. According to OE, the LIDO will be back in stock tomorrow (Tues.) afternoon (source).

Posted May 27, 2013 link

Was it in stock on Tuesday, even briefly?

Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

I made a little cover for mine yesterday. Despite it's tall stature bean fragments still popcorn out of the thing and onto the floor.
jbviau
jbviau

Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 9:16am

I just checked and was able to add one to my cart (which I've now removed) and proceed to checkout. Not sure what the issue is/was for you. Try again? Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > A Quality...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319376945496)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+