Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > DeLonghi...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kglave

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 10:11am
Subject: DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine

My first time here. If I posted in the wrong area, please direct me to the proper place.  :)

I bought the DeLonghi ESAM3300 and I am wondering if it was a mistake. I received it about 10 days ago and have yet to be able to get a decent shot out of it.

I've read all the "How-to" guides and countless (usually contradicting) information regarding shot times, grind, coffee amount, etc. I have been thru all the settings time and time and time again. I've tried three different beans as well. If its not painfully sour, it's terribly bitter. There seems to be no in between no matter what I do. Which leaves me wondering if this is happening because I am doing something wrong or will I just not be able to ever pull a drinkable shot on this machine? Does anyone here own something similar to this machine and could offer pointers? I have done some testing and the results are worrying.

To keep the initial testing simple and see what the machine does,  I maintained the same coffee amount and water amount (1 oz double shots). I only changed the grind. This machine has grinder settings from 1 to 7, 7 being the most course. For this test, I used Equal Exchange Love Buzz Blend Organic Coffee Beans, opened yesterday (Med-Dark roast, slightly oily).

Grind 7 setting - 22 seconds for 2 x 1oz shots - tastes horrid, very sour
Grind 5 setting - 23 seconds for 2 x 1oz shots - same sour taste
Grind 3 setting - 21 seconds for 2 x 1oz shots - same sour taste
Grind 1 setting - 45 seconds for 2 x 1oz shots - the worst of the worst

The thing that worries me is that even with a major grind change, the shots still pull with virtually the same sour taste and very poor crema.

Thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 11:40am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine

First an FYI on beans to use with superautos:  Don't go darker than medium roast, preferably no oils on surface of bean showing.  Using oily beans will jam the machine.

If you get bitterness it is due to water being too hot or overextraction.  Try turning heat down and using a bit more coffee beans per shot.  Stay away from coase grind settings.

The above should be a good starting point for you.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kglave

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 12:19pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine

Ok. I will try adding more coffee during my next round of testing. Thanks for the hint about dark oily beans as well. I ended up reading about that after already having invested in 3lbs of a darker roast - ahhhh! But I am now using Medium roast only and I hope my machine forgives me. Any suggestions for a good organic whole bean coffee? I didn't care for Equal Exchange Love Buzz nor the Cameron's French Roast. Others I have been looking at are Coffee Bean Direct Medium Roast Espresso, Trader Joes Breakfast Blend and a non-organic one -  Lavazza Super Crema or Qualita Oro. Any of these worth it?

Unfortunately this machine doesn't tell you how many grams the coffee dial is nor how many ounces the water dial is -- and it is not in the manual. Wacky. I read somewhere that the "max" coffee amount setting is 14g but I am unsure how true that actually is and that seems like a pretty low "high" point to me. I tried to call Delonghi directly to get better information and they were pretty useless.

For my prior tests I had the coffee dial at exactly half way strength. I will crank it 3/4 and also to FULL and run some more shots using this advice. I will test this on the 2, 3 and 4 grind settings I think so it says nearer the finer end.

I am unsure how to adjust the temperature on this gizmo though. Nothing in the manual on it. I may have to suck it up and call Delonghi back again. Sigh.  :)
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 5:36pm

kglave Said:

Ok. I will try adding more coffee during my next round of testing. Thanks for the hint about dark oily beans as well. I ended up reading about that after already having invested in 3lbs of a darker roast - ahhhh! But I am now using Medium roast only and I hope my machine forgives me. Any suggestions for a good organic whole bean coffee? I didn't care for Equal Exchange Love Buzz nor the Cameron's French Roast. Others I have been looking at are Coffee Bean Direct Medium Roast Espresso, Trader Joes Breakfast Blend and a non-organic one -  Lavazza Super Crema or Qualita Oro. Any of these worth it?

Unfortunately this machine doesn't tell you how many grams the coffee dial is nor how many ounces the water dial is -- and it is not in the manual. Wacky. I read somewhere that the "max" coffee amount setting is 14g but I am unsure how true that actually is and that seems like a pretty low "high" point to me. I tried to call Delonghi directly to get better information and they were pretty useless.

For my prior tests I had the coffee dial at exactly half way strength. I will crank it 3/4 and also to FULL and run some more shots using this advice. I will test this on the 2, 3 and 4 grind settings I think so it says nearer the finer end.

I am unsure how to adjust the temperature on this gizmo though. Nothing in the manual on it. I may have to suck it up and call Delonghi back again. Sigh.  :)

Posted May 22, 2013 link

Of all the beans you reference I would suggest the Coffee Bean Direct Medium Roast Espresso.  I have no experience with the other beans (and as a side note I only have experience with Coffee Bean Direct Green unroasted beans; but they are a good company and the roast is medium so it looks like a plus).  Sounds like your plan of 3/4 to full, and finer grind settings is a good start, along with a different lighter roasted bean.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > DeLonghi...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245507955551)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+