Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best grinder for drip coffee?! BUNN?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best grinder for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 5:10pm
Subject: Best grinder for drip coffee?! BUNN?

So i bought an infinity capresso and it screwed up on me, i tried to take it apart and did something stupid (unscrewed the bottom burr) and apparently this destroys the machine. OOPS! So instead of buying another cheapo i started considering my options for something long term. I also drink virtually no espresso and if i do i'm making it through a crappy little stove top contraption, and it's probably for cold espresso drinks so ability to do that grind is of very little importance. If i want to do espresso one day i will buy something specifically for that.

I drink a fair bit of coffee, i'd say a large cup of pour over almost every day. The coffee shop (planet bean, free plug because they do good stuff) i enjoy does pour over and uses a BUNN G1. They leave the lid open and the machine empty, put enough beans in to do your cup, and grind. That is my requirement, i would like to put in the machine only enough beans to make my single serving, and have the machine grind it completely.

The BUNN G1 would do this perfectly, it's also 800 dollars and truly designed to grind a pound of coffee all at once. Its also ginormous and complete overkill for home use.

This takes me to the BUNN LPG and questions:
-What are the differences in the actual grinder design compared to the G1?
-Is it suitable for grinding only a few grams of a coffee at a time?
-Any other input?

I'm thinking i could remove the 6 lb hopper and make something custom out of stainless to make it look like less of a monstrosity, i would only be putting enough beans in at a time to make 1 cup worth. Or should i just buy something like a rancillo rocky?
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 6:38pm
Subject: Re: Best grinder for drip coffee?! BUNN?

Welcome to the forum ...!!

While you say you drink a 'fair bit of coffee', one large cup a day is kind of minimal.  Some of us are addicts.  

I have great respect for Bunn grinders.  You see them in almost every coffee shop doing measured dose grinds into BIG filters, hour after hour, and have a reputation for being trouble-free.  However, I don't think folks (who drink 1 cup a day) buy them.  They are expensive and do not have a wide range of adjustment (outside of commercial drip brewers).  Others in this forum might know different ...?!

The way I grind coffee is:  I measure the beans (for 1 mug or 5) into the grinder and it grinds them completely ...just the way you want to.  That is common practice.  

In my family we have 4 Baratza grinders.  They could be Maestro Plus or Encore and one son has a Baratza Precisio (as he makes espresso).  these machines are reasonable in cost and are small, so not to clutter up your kitchen.  The Encore is $149.95 at The Green Beanery in Toronto.  I would not use it for Turkish or espresso but it is adjustable for any other use.  

The nice thing about Baratza is that they are home-repairable and repair-parts from Baratza are low-cost and repair instructions excellent.

I hope this helps.

Jerry
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 7:40pm

I have an LPG, and I love it, but I brew a full pot at a time (as, between my wife and I, we kill an 8-cup Brazen pot every morning). For single cup, I'd actually recommend a hand grinder. It's cheap, accurate, and the grinding helps get your blood flowing.

The LPG popcorns badly enough when there's no bean column that you'll get an inconsistent grind if you try to use it on a per cup basis.
nachoslibres

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Bunn trifecta MB
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 8:16am

I usually brew several cups of day of coffee and personally use a Baratza Vario-W.  I pour just enough beans into the hopper for what I think I'll need for the next hour or two of brewing, select the weight I want (which is usually 20 grams since I typically drink 10 oz. cups of coffee) and then grind.

For your needs you could definitely go to one of the lower levels of Baratza grinders - I just went with the Vario-W because I liked the built-in scale and the ability to do fine grinding for espresso when I eventually get there.  I think the Bunn G1 is definitely overkill and to me is ugly and takes up way too much space.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best grinder for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211306095123)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+