Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Best French press grinder
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best French...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 9:34am
Subject: Re: Best French press grinder

Netphilosopher Said:

The drill bit attachment (which I also have) actually does not improve the time that much.  It's surprising.

Posted May 14, 2013 link

Actually that's not that surprising. I read what Doug wrote about it and it makes sense.
But the usual complaint about a long time to grind with hand grinders is really about the amount of work not the time itself.

It's kind of noisy though, right?
 View Profile Link to this post
jcfiend

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 10:01am

emradguy Said:

No, not at all.  Those are two entirely different grinders.  The OE is made in Olympia, Washington and the Porlex is made in Japan...and the cost is different too.  I think the Porlex goes for around $60-70, while the OE Lido is $165. Also, except for used units, the OE Lido is ONLY available from Orphan Espresso through their website www.orphanespresso.com ...and sadly, they are now listed as out of stock.  If you email them, I would expect Doug or Barb to reply with an anticipated in stock date.

I was going to insert an image from goggle, but then when I typed in "OE Lido", in addition to getting several images of the Lido, there was a nice one of Angelina Jolie...at first I thought wtf does she have to do with the Lido grinder, but immediately realized it doesn't matter.  Anyways, who could deprive you of seeing that photo?  So, if you do the same...type into Google search "OE Lido", select "images", there should be at least one (it was the first hit for me) of the black neoprene carrying case with the name in white ink, next to the grinder and accessories (that are all included), along with a nice bonus photo of AJ :)

Posted May 14, 2013 link

Maybe miss Jolie comes with it?  That would be a steal!  (and I'd have no problem waiting).  
Thanks for the heads up
Taryl

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: OE Lido no. 557
Vac Pot: Bodum French Press, Bialetti...
Drip: Swissgold KF300
Posted Tue May 14, 2013, 3:17pm

I've been extremely impressed with the particle consistency for my lido.  It really shines in the course spectrum. The other advantage it has would be low depreciation - if you bought one, hated it, and went to sell it you could expect to net 60-70% of the sunk cost for a lightly used model.  It's inexpensive compared to most electric burr grinders of similar burr size.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Best French...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242110013962)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+