Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 271 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
rpavich

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 5:16am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

thanks very much!

I also discovered something funny.

I have two Keruig brewers and I started to wonder what the temp of the water was coming out of them...as it turns out...it's 180 deg f exactly.

I just use the Keurig to dose the hot water into my cup...after 20 or 30 seconds its down to 175 deg f and I'm good to go!

I've tried this with different doses...different coffee..and I've found that I really like the water at 175 deg and small amount of water per coffee I'm using a fairly fine grind, one scoop only and topping it off with the water to the "1" mark and then adding hot water into my cup afterwords.

Just an FYI about how much coffee this thing uses, the Keruig uses 9 grams of coffee per serving and a single scoop is 12 grams...so it's comparable, and even when I use 9 grams the coffee tastes great.
 View Profile Link to this post
rpavich

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 6:08am

Ok....I have a question:

I drink small cups of coffee. I drink them at work, and I waste a lot of coffee if I take too much at one time.

I tried to experiment with the Aeropress by putting less than a full scoop in at a time and only putting the water up to the "not quite the "1" line" and made a great short cup of coffee (I topped it off with just a few oz of water...cup total probably 5 or 6 oz.

But this morning I tried to do that again and the water ran right on through!

The only way to stop it was the do the inverted method, which was messier and less convenient.

Any pointers on how to keep the water from running right on through when using less than a scoop of grounds?
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:30am

rpavich Said:

The only way to stop it was the do the inverted method, which was messier and less convenient.

Any pointers on how to keep the water from running right on through when using less than a scoop of grounds?

Posted January 28, 2014 link

Inverted is a common approach and not messy with practice.

Some people have good luck with inserting the plunger a few centimeters and then pulling it back to create a vacuum. You will push some of the liquid through when you do this. And it makes it harder to stir or fold in floating grounds once the plunger is in place. But it will stop the flow.

A third method is to brew in a seperate container and then pour the slurry into the Aeropress for filtration.

Fourth method: I added a pressure sensitive valve to my Aeropress. It holds the liquid until I insert the plunger and start pressing. In principle all this requires is a replacement cap with the valve but nobody manufactures one. And it's a home modification that isn't all that easy to do.

Fifth method: Grind finely enough so that the flow will be slower and you'll end up with a tasty cup despite what flows though.
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:51am

Grinding finely is a good approach no matter what. The Aeropress with its paper filter is very forgiving of ultrafine grinds and the lower temperature works well with this approach.

But before you get real fancy, check the positioning of the paper filter. What you're describing (one time it worked fine, and then the next...) suggests that the flow through might actually have been a bit of flow around.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rpavich

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:56am

thanks for the tip...that's possible; I reused the paper filter several times and it wasn't exactly flat.
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 12:18pm

rpavich Said:

Ok....I have a question:

I drink small cups of coffee. I drink them at work, and I waste a lot of coffee if I take too much at one time.

I tried to experiment with the Aeropress by putting less than a full scoop in at a time and only putting the water up to the "not quite the "1" line" and made a great short cup of coffee (I topped it off with just a few oz of water...cup total probably 5 or 6 oz.

Posted January 28, 2014 link

Give the chamber a few shakes to level the bed of coffee before adding water.  This is especially important with small doses.  If you can see the filter before you pour, the water will run right through.  Also, pour gently to avoid blasting the grounds aside.

Alan
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 2:36pm

I,  too,  do not like the inverted method because coffee had dripped or spilled more than once using that method.  And the standard method I do not like either for the premature flow, as soon as water is poured into the device. So I've come up with my own method that I think is addressed both complaints.

I have not given it a name so I don't know what to call it... Maybe the nutty method :)

1) Put coffee grind dose in a glass or metal pitcher. At work I use a rinsed paper cup.
2) dispense/pour in hot water and stir.
3) pour mixture into AP and plunge.

I like this method because
  1.  No chance for inverted AP to tilt over and drip or spill onto counter.
  2.  No hot potatoing a device filled with scorching water.
  3.  No premature flowing of water during brew process.
  4.  No brewing of coffee in plastic.
  5.  I can brew inconspicuously by quickly dispensing hot water into my paper cup and stir while I walk back to my desk (like a normal person) and quickly plunge instead of do all this "special"  stuff in the kitchen and incur negative perceptions around me. Eg. coffee snob, not busy/slacking off etc...
rpavich

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 2:40pm

AlanAdler Said:

Give the chamber a few shakes to level the bed of coffee before adding water.  This is especially important with small doses.  If you can see the filter before you pour, the water will run right through.  Also, pour gently to avoid blasting the grounds aside.

Alan

Posted February 10, 2014 link

Thanks Alan...that's what I found out.

I'v also found its best to grind very fine.

Things are going great with it now, I can't make a bad cup with it!
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 3:17pm

[quote658392

1) Put coffee grind dose in a glass or metal pitcher. At work I use a rinsed paper cup.
2) dispense/pour in hot water and stir.
3) pour mixture into AP and plunge.

.[x]

This is essentially what I do when I need to make larger amounts. I stirr into a large pyrex measuring cup and pour through a melitta filter funnel. No plunge-ability but it's not bad.
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 5:10pm

I leave for a while and come back and no one's mentioning just using more water?

<shakes head>

Kids nowadays.

;-)

Drip-through doesn't matter in the least, provided you can get a proper extraction with whatever water the grind is in. If you have enough water, you'll be able to do that. Obviously, if you're using very little water, you won't. But why anyone would panic at the drip-through -- as if they couldn't just add more water -- I really don't understand.

Even if you're trying to make a relatively concentrated Aeropressing for any number of reasons, using more water is not likely to defeat that purpose.

Take charge of the brewing variables yourself. You're not obliged to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Er . . . hi, Alan.     ;-D
showing page 271 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347935199738)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+