Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 252 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 3:37am
Subject: ...

View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 12:32pm
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

AlanAdler Said:

The amount of brew trapped in the grounds is exactly known:

Posted April 22, 2013 link

It wasn't known (by me) until you provided more details.

AlanAdler Said:

Trapped brew = input water wt - brew wt

Posted April 22, 2013 link

For the brews you are talking about your formula underestimates the trapped coffee by about 20%.

I was interested in your calculation of the extraction. You still haven't given us a specific example but I'll take it for granted that you measured what you measured. Have you ever checked your PAL-1 against a more accurate instrument? The accuracy is specified as 0.2% Brix which would translate to 0.17% TDS. For your brews that would mean 1.6% extraction, so a calculation of 25% extraction might really be closer to 23.5%. Still high though.

I have never tried to brew exactly the way you suggest. But I have some dark roasted coffee in the freezer so maybe I'll give it a try later.
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 1:37pm

jpender Said:

I have never tried to brew exactly the way you suggest. But I have some dark roasted coffee in the freezer so maybe I'll give it a try later.

Posted April 23, 2013 link

I'd be really interested in the results.   (Imagine, following the instructions. How boring is that?)

Though, honestly, I don't care about the numbers so much as I care about the flavour.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 4:05pm

jpender Said:

It wasn't known (by me) until you provided more details.

For the brews you are talking about your formula underestimates the trapped coffee by about 20%.

Please explain. -- Alan

I was interested in your calculation of the extraction. You still haven't given us a specific example but I'll take it for granted that you measured what you measured. Have you ever checked your PAL-1 against a more accurate instrument? The accuracy is specified as 0.2% Brix which would translate to 0.17% TDS. For your brews that would mean 1.6% extraction, so a calculation of 25% extraction might really be closer to 23.5%. Still high though.

I tested my PAL-1 against a Brix meter used by Randy Pope, a chemist at Bunn.  I don't know the maker of his meter.  Randy is the man who came up with the 0.85 factor.  Our readings on some Brix 1.5 brew were identical.  I've also tested it against some optical sight meters with good agreement.

One other consideration.  My meter reads low for a hot sample.  I press the read button approximately once per minute.  When two consecutive readings repeat, I accept that number.  That's about one or two minutes after putting a very shallow sample on the window.  But it takes longer for a deep sample, which holds more heat.

Alan
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 5:16pm

AlanAdler Said:

Please explain. -- Alan

You're leaving out part of the mass balance.
In both the brewed coffee and trapped coffee there are both water and dissolved coffee, not just water.

You're saying: brew_water = trapped_coffee + brewed_coffee

But it's really more like: dry_coffee + brew_water = dry_grounds + trapped_coffee + brewed_coffee

If you rearrange that and remember that (dry_coffee - dry_grounds) is just the extracted coffee in an immersion brew and equal to (strength X brew_water) brew_water X strength/(1-strength), then you get:

trapped_coffee = (1 + strength)*brew_water - brewed_coffee
trapped_coffee = (1 + strength/(1-strength))*brew_water - brewed_coffee

AlanAdler Said:

I tested my PAL-1 against a Brix meter used by Randy Pope, a chemist at Bunn.  I don't know the maker of his meter.  Randy is the man who came up with the 0.85 factor.  Our readings on some Brix 1.5 brew were identical.  I've also tested it against some optical sight meters with good agreement.

One other consideration.  My meter reads low for a hot sample.  I press the read button approximately once per minute.  When two consecutive readings repeat, I accept that number.  That's about one or two minutes after putting a very shallow sample on the window.  But it takes longer for a deep sample, which holds more heat.

So how do you handle the sample? Do you put it hot in the sample well and then keep checking the readings until stable?

(edited 24 April to correct math)
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 7:45pm

jpender Said:

trapped_coffee = (1 + strength)*brew_water - brewed_coffee

So how do you handle the sample? Do you put it hot in the sample well and then keep checking the readings until stable?

Math is agreed to.  But you wrote "trapped_coffee =".  How about, "trapped liquid ="?  I'll edit my prior post and change "exact" to "approximate".

Yes, I put it hot in the well and check as you have written.

Best,

Alan
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:09pm

AlanAdler Said:

Math is agreed to.  But you wrote "trapped_coffee =".  How about, "trapped liquid ="?

That's what I meant, liquid coffee. It is possible that there is some liquid water in the grounds that contains no dissolved coffee but I don't know how much if any there is of this. So I was assuming that ALL the liquid in the grounds is coffee at the same strength as what is pressed out into your mug. That's the basis for the basic immersion extraction formula that you and VST/Mojo use.

AlanAdler Said:

Yes, I put it hot in the well and check as you have written.

Aren't you worried that evaporation will concentrate your sample and give you a false high reading?
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:11pm

paulbel Said:

(Imagine, following the instructions. How boring is that?)

I have taken it on faith that the Aeropress instructions are simply wrong. I believe it is established coffee dogma that 175F water will not extract very well. While I have a lot of curiosity about coffee and am willing to spend silly amounts of time measuring stuff pointlessly, I'm mostly interested in making a tasty cup o' joe each morning. Why would I waste my time doing some something as foolish as brewing at 175F? Just because the inventor of a plastic frisbee-like toy says it's a way to make "espresso"? Seriously??

And yet I have now brewed two cups at 175F, tasted them, and measured their strengths and extractions.
paulbel
paulbel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:22pm

jpender Said:

I have taken it on faith that the Aeropress instructions are simply wrong.
And yet I have now brewed two cups at 175F, tasted them, and measured their strengths and extractions.

How did they taste?
AlanAdler
AlanAdler

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:56pm

jpender Said:

Why would I waste my time doing some something as foolish as brewing at 175F?

Three brewings.  Each with the same beans and grind.

Water Temp      Extraction
175F                21.8%
165F                22.6%
155F                20.6%  

Best,

Alan
showing page 252 of 288 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.495036840439)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+