Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Aerobie Aeropress
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 251 of 281 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 9:28am
Subject: Re: Aerobie Aeropress

Netphilosopher Said:

So, before we start claiming that 25% extraction is acceptable, perhaps we should be a bit more accurate on the coffee and water measurements.  In my mind, if you're using volume to talk about extraction or dissolution, then I cannot in good conscience accept these as valid observations, they are only anecdotal to me.  Unless you know your coffee density (and if you know that why not just measure coffee mass?) and the height/diameter ratio of your liquid measurement device is 10:1 or you're using mass for brew water, you really can't talk about extraction or dissolution in anything other than in general terms.

Posted April 22, 2013 link

13 or 14 grams of coffee, "about" 8 fluid ounces of brew, an unknown amount of liquid trapped in the grounds, and a strength of 1.25% could easily mean anything between 21% and 26% extraction.

Netphilosopher Said:

If you measure this cup at 1.25% strength (and we can now measure this very accurately)

But not if Alan was determining he had a Gold Cup brew with his PAL-1. It has too much uncertainty to really say what the extraction is. In that case those numbers could mean anything between 17% and 28% extraction.

Who here really worries about efficiency that much?
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 10:34am
Subject: ...

jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 5:22pm

Netphilosopher Said:

Um... it's not that I 'worry' about it, but it takes about an hour from setup to teardown/cleanup to roast a lb of coffee.  It's the difference of a couple-3 of cups of coffee per lb.

I see. It's mostly about time rather than money.

Netphilosopher Said:

To make double strength (2.25%) but diluted coffee in the AeroPress (to 1.25% strength) only produces 5.8 liters of coffee from 450g of roasted coffee.

I like small cups of stronger coffee and so I brew to about 2.1% strength in the Aeropress and don't dilute. I estimate I use ~12% more coffee beans in an Aeropress versus what I use in a moka pot or drip cone. But the tradeoffs of ease of use, forgiveness in technique, and speed make it worth the cost increment to me.

I could experiment with rinsing out what's trapped in the puck. By pulling the plunger after pressing, adding a small amount of additional water, and then pressing a second time I think I could halve the loss, assuming doing so doesn't affect the taste.
HorsemanSix

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 6:08pm

So does anyone have a great guide to use for this? I've tried the one from stumptown (which I find to taste a little burnt almost) and the one from Aeropress which is a bit too weak.
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:12pm

CaptainCowPie Said:

I have to definitely agree with this. Alan's responses have always been extremely helpful to the discussions at hand without pushing his product. He is the epitome of great customer relations. I could only wish for such interaction with other products that I own. I realize this is your site Mark and you have to keep a happy relationship with your advertisers, but I hope you can see the value that this brings to the discussion.

If I felt that Alan was starting to promote instead of offering help as he has, I would be less inclined to follow this post as I have for the last seven years (has it really been that long, I had to look it up).

Vince

How about this? When a thread bears the frakkin' name of a product, the manufacturer's participation is automatically ruled non-advertising. I mean, seriously. Think about it for a minute.

If one wishes to be really consistent, one shouldn't be allowed to name a thread with the product's name. That is, after all, a form of advertisement. I'm not being sarcastic -- it IS.

The line is obviously when the manufacturer is involved. But to some extent, involvement in a thread bearing their product's name should be a free-for-all. First of all, if what they say in-thread is true about their product, it's useful information. If it's not, they're going to have literate users jumping down their throats. And to some extent, I can't imagine how a manufacturer's participation in such a thread would compete for advertising dollars. The manufacturer has already sold to the people participating in the thread. No? Well then, the chatter in the thread by the device's enthusiasts sells the darned thing to any thread visitors.

Personally, I wonder how effective advertising is at "geek" sites. True geeks tend to know what they're looking for, or seek out chatter. Or, if we're I.T. geeks, we use ad blockers and don't see the darned ads anyway. In my case, it's superfluous to use blockers because I'm blind to ads anyway. I think I'm weird that way. I utterly tune them out when they're visual elements.

But I digress.

Mark's site, he can do as he wishes. I'm a guest. But I seriously think if a thread bears a product's name . . . geez. A manufacturer will be up against critics if the product sucks -- so let the manufacturer "advertise" however he wishes. He'll be preaching to a mutinous choir in such a case. And if his product's great, then any "advertising" he'd be doing would be superfluous -- visitors to the thread would see the product's fans swooning left and right, and a manufacturer adding "hey, buy my great product" would add nothing of import to such user testimony.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:35pm

HorsemanSix Said:

So does anyone have a great guide to use for this?

Asking that in this thread? That's like showing up at Chicago's O'Hare airport and asking if there are any airplanes about.    ;-)
jpender
jpender

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:54pm

I'm glad Alan is posting here.

And rasqual too.
paulbel
paulbel

Espresso: aeropress
Grinder: conical burr (cuisinart)
Drip: sometimes
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 8:04pm

I mean, really.

Alan takes a whole lot of guff from a whole lot of opinionated geeks in this thread and anyone lurking here wondering whether to buy an aeropress has seen the inventor used as a punching bag. Yet Alan is unfailingly courteous, (if resolutely stubborn). And he's contributing to the conversation.  He's an asset to CoffeeGeek, in my opinion (but then, yes, it's not my site. It's Mark's)

But I've been around the rest of the site. This is the one thread I keep track of. Why? It's not just because of Alan, because he was gone for a while. But it has a lot to do with his participation (and, come to think of it, when he was gone, this thread was pretty quiet)
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 8:44pm

Hi All,

My pressings were with one heaped scoop (13-14g) and 175F water to about 2 or 2.5 on the chamber scale (about 115g).  Brix of the pressed concentrate was in the 3 to 3.6 range.  I only measure by weight - never by volume, not even water.  When I said that I get 8 ounces of 1.25% TDS (1.5 Brix), that's after dilution.  Here's a formula for computing how much 1.25% diluted brew your concentrate will make:

Diluted wt = (concentrate wt) * (concentrate strength) / 1.25

I think that if Netphilosopher is having trouble reaching 25% extraction, it's likely due to one or both of the following factors:

1.  My grind is finer than his

2.  My beans have more sugar than his.  Brix is extremely sensitive to sugar content.  That has long made me suspicious of Brix as a measure of strength.  It always seemed insensitive to the source of the beans.  But lately I'm beginning to notice a sensitivity to beans.  

For example I consistently get 24 to 25% with my home roasted Guatemala beans, which make a very sweet cup.  But recently I tried some blends from a Northwest artisan roaster.  I brewed exactly the same but got 22 to 23% extraction.  Both roasts are full city.  I suspect that my beans have more sugar which caused higher Brix readings and higher (apparent) extraction.

Of course we needn't obsess over the exact math.  Better to just view the numbers as an approximation.

Best,

Alan
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 9:09pm

jpender Said:

..an unknown amount of liquid trapped in the grounds...

The amount of brew trapped in the grounds is known:

trapped brew is approximately equal to: input water wt - brew wt

For the AeroPress, trapped brew is 1x to 1.1x coffee wt

For drip, trapped brew is approx 2x coffee wt.

Best,

Alan
showing page 251 of 281 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Aerobie...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.41480588913)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+