Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
Mugs:  great / suitable mugs to put under the Aeropress and drink from?
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Mugs:  great /...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
eieio

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:53am
Subject: Mugs:  great / suitable mugs to put under the Aeropress and drink from?

Dear All:  

As a newbie to the world of making coffee at home, though not a newbie in terms of searching for and enjoying great coffee at coffee bars around town, I am looking to further enhance my home coffee experience:  great mugs.

I found that all my 10 oz mugs are unsuitable (too small) for use with (and under) the Aeropress as it leaves insufficient volume to add hot water and my bit of half and half.  I'm guessing that I need 15 oz to 16 oz, but possibly, 14 oz might be sufficient.  

Additionally, I'm having low temperature issues:  when brewing/pressing is complete, and I add some hot water and a small touch of half and half, the resultant coffee is barely hot, or very warm.  It doesn't stay warm for very long at all before it drops to just barely warm levels.  I don't even like super hot coffee, but just barely warm after merely 3 minutes is undesirable for me.

I was also trying to look for double-walled stainless mugs for home use (not the traveling type stainless ones which are too tall for this purpose, as plunging down on the Aeropress would be best performed on a lower, squatter, more stable mug).   They are not easy to find!   The ones I managed to find are low quality ones, and some even have reviews that talk about a foul taste!!  I think that all stainless are not created equally, and that some have too much nickel and it is unhealthy for some reason (i'm unsure about the point about nickel).

I looked for a good long while and am unable to find really good and suitable mugs for this purpose.

The Bodum double glass walled cups/mugs are too small (all <14 oz) and seemingly too delicate to withstand daily downward pressure of the Aeropress during the plunging process.

Some other mugs have too wide a diameter (!) for the Aeropress' flange (the octagonally-shaped portion) to stay sturdily on its lip.

My best guesstimate is that a diameter of up to roughly 3.5" is ok for the Aeropress, but over that, i.e. 4" is too close for comfort, as one applies a decent amount of pressure to the Aeropress plunger daily, and the flange needs to rest securely on the mug's lip, not merely dangerously resting on it.

The best ones I've been able to come up with - and they are all ok, not great, are the plain white ones at Crate and Barrel.  Examples:  

Bennett Mug Large 16 oz (bone china),
Camden Sky Mug 15 oz (stoneware),
Camden Bone China Mug 16 oz (bone china, and yes, it is 1 oz larger than its stoneware version in "sky" color!),
Everyday White Mug 16 oz (at 4" diameter, might be too wide for the Aeropress' flange, Porcelain),
Mercer Mug 14 oz (w/ a wavy lip which may or may not make plunging w/the Aeropress unstable, Porcelain).

Any experienced suggestions of great mugs would be most appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

PS:  moderators - I've made a short post like this one inside the Aeropress thread but it got no traction.  I'll gladly delete that one and let this one stay, if you would like me to do so.
 View Profile Link to this post
MJW

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 9:35am
Subject: Re: Mugs:  great / suitable mugs to put under the Aeropress and drink from?

There are "latte mugs" which hold 20 oz.  Crate and Barrel has a simple white one that works well and it fits the Aeropress.
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 1:45pm
Subject: Re: Mugs:  great / suitable mugs to put under the Aeropress and drink from?

How much water and cream are you adding? Getting a 15oz drinkable coffee out of the Aeropress is impressive. As for temperature, make sure you bring water to a boil and then wait for about 30sec for optimal brewing temp. If you're doing that, I would think it's the half and half bringing the temp down. Maybe go to a powder? (I don't use it, so I don't know if that's even possible for half and half.) Also, don't forget to preheat your mug.

I recommend getting a 20oz milk frothing pitcher to press and then transfer to mug. Any mug I know of that can withstand the pressure is not as big as you're looking for.
derevaun
derevaun

Espresso: Shoes and wallet
Grinder: Hario Mini, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Clever, BCM4
Roaster: My neighbor's Diedrich
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 8:55pm

I use a 16oz mug that I got from Pendelton (the blanket company). It's 4 inches across and fits the AP securely. I pour about 10 seconds off boil, making sure to close the spout lid on the kettle after a couple top-off pours into the AP, then I close the spout lid on the kettle. I top off the cup after pressing, and the brew is still way too hot to drink.

I'll second the Lattee Mug from Crate & Barrel. The vertical shape should have reduced heat loss compared to a wide mug with the same volume.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 5:23am

tglodjo Said:

How much water and cream are you adding? Getting a 15oz drinkable coffee out of the Aeropress is impressive. As for temperature, make sure you bring water to a boil and then wait for about 30sec for optimal brewing temp. If you're doing that, I would think it's the half and half bringing the temp down. Maybe go to a powder? (I don't use it, so I don't know if that's even possible for half and half.) Also, don't forget to preheat your mug.

I recommend getting a 20oz milk frothing pitcher to press and then transfer to mug. Any mug I know of that can withstand the pressure is not as big as you're looking for.

Posted April 22, 2013 link

yeah, I agree 15 oz from an Aeropress is quite a bit, and I'd probably think it too dilute to drink, unless I did it using two presses.

Re: powdered half and half...please don't ever, ever, ever recommend that to anybody ever again.  That $h!t is disgusting!  (Just thought I'd mentioned that since you said you don't use it or know.

RE: mugs...Contigo! http://www.gocontigo.com/thermo-ceramic-mug.html I have a different model (Ava) that is more squat, and it is truly awesome, but it's only 10oz.  Preheat it with hot water while grinding, then dump the water just before pressing and you'll be good to go tempwise.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
VKirby

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:15am

I prefer relatively smooth ceramics.  Just no metal or plastic (except for one random plastic travel mug for some reason doesn't bother me like the others). Don't know that it really alters taste, or that I even have any logical justification for my preferences, because strangely enough with beer & soda I actually prefer aluminum over glass (bottles or mugs).  

eieio Said:

Additionally, I'm having low temperature issues:  when brewing/pressing is complete, and I add some hot water and a small touch of half and half, the resultant coffee is barely hot, or very warm.  It doesn't stay warm for very long at all before it drops to just barely warm levels.  I don't even like super hot coffee, but just barely warm after merely 3 minutes is undesirable for me.

Posted April 22, 2013 link

Rinse it with super hot water, thoroughly, for as long as it takes to get hot inside & out.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 11:28am

the Contigo mug (link above in my last post) is ceramic, with a stainless insulation on the outside and a rubber, no-skid, base.  when you look inside of it, all you see is glazed ceramic.  best off all worlds!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
eieio

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 7:17pm

thanks for the great ideas!

i'm currently trying the Camden Bone China 15 oz mug from Crate and Barrel, and just got, today, the bright orange mug from CB2.

i also am tempted to try the upcoming new insulated pint cup from Klean Kanteen, though it is so tall that i'm concerned about it slipping when i press down hard on the Aeropress!   (i like pressing directly into the mug i intend to drink from due to 2 reasons: (1) i don't have a perfect container to press into anyway!  anyone with a recommendation of the "perfect" container to press the Aeropress into?  (2) one less thing to put in the dishwasher!)

the advantage of the Camden Bone China mug is that it is very low and squat, so it is unusually stable.

15 oz also is decent sized for the Aeropress as it allows for some reasonable amount of addition of hot water.

i found that with any "mouth" diameter (of any mug) greater than that of the Camden Bone China mug,  the Aeropress might slip a bit too much for my comfort.

any thoughts and advice would be most appreciated.

thank you.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > Mugs:  great /...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275557994843)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+