Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
whole-bean or capsule machine for kitchen?
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > whole-bean or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Dooglas
Dooglas
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar HX, La Pavoni lever
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:07am
Subject: Re: whole-bean or capsule machine for kitchen?

I personally think MJW has a good point. Let me back up. Capsule machines are just a more convenient way to make stale coffee. Enough said there. As you have noticed, not too much sympathy for fully auto machines on this site. They are expensive, high maintenance, and produce (expensive) compromise coffee. If manual and semi-auto machines with dedicated grinders are too much trouble, then look at simple drip and press systems. They work fine and produce excellent coffee when properly brewed with fresh grind.
 View Profile Link to this post
MJW

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 11:20am

Thanks for the support Dooglas.  I was afraid I came off too much like a jerk.  Of course, I do think the original poster should buy what he prefers, according to his priorities.

Another angle on automation of brewing, is to automate hot water delivery.  There are commercial and consumer hot water tanks which are adjustable and give ready hot water.  The tanks require little and infrequent attention, as far as I know.

By the way one thing that capsules, superautos, and manual have in common is single-serve brewing, which -- in my opinion -- helps taste.
diablo1024

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 6:55pm

Thank you all for your kind responses.  MJW, I don't think you or anyone else on this thread came off as a jerk.  I wanted to solicit opinions from people who know about, and care about, coffee...  If everyone had said "Hey do what you want, it's no big deal" I would have been very disappointed!

Based on your comments, and research I did in other threads, I think I am going to hold off on this purchase for now.  When you add the price of the machine itself to the price of installation (electrical, plumbing, cabinet work definitely require a pro, at least for me), it is probably over $5,000 all-in, which for me is many, many years of delicious coffee made just down the block by people who really know what they're doing, on equipment far superior to these superautos.  And that's before you factor in the time and money needed to maintain such a complex machine...  And the risk that it will completely break down just after the warranty expires.

I appreciate all your help, and you haven't scared me away from coffee preparation in general...  Just helped me to figure out that this machine is not a good investment for me at this time.  I'll continue to poke around here and see if there is another solution that is less expensive and will still give me acceptable results without a lot of effort or mess.  I'm still imagining how sexy the built-in would look in the kitchen...  But it's not a good choice at this point!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > whole-bean or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213058948517)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+