Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods
help with french press
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > help with french...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hopeg

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 9:22am
Subject: help with french press

New to the forum - hello everyone! After some thought and reading, I decided to go ahead and buy a coffee press. I love the nice, bold coffee flavor and from what I have found out, a coffee press is the way to go for good, flavorful coffee. I work at a preschool and one of the parents ofthe children in my class works at Starbucks and has always given me and my family gift cards for holidays, this is what I used to purchase a Bodum Chambord coffee press. This morning, I made some coffee in it and I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it was very weak. Now, I'm not totally new to coffee and common sense tells me it was maybe one of two things: 1. My coffee grounds were too coarse (I know I'm supposedto use coarse ground, but I wwasn't sure how coarse and I used my own grinder) 2. My water wasn't hot enough (I didn't let my water come to a complete boil, because I was afraid it was going to be too hot and crack my glass). So, anyone here that uses a french press, you input would be greatly appreciated! : ) Should I bring my water to a complete boil? Also, how coarse shouldb my grounds be? Is there anything else that would have made it so weak? I used 3 coffee scoops (2 tbsp each) for 18 oz of water. Thanks so much!
 View Profile Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 9:36am
Subject: Re: help with french press

Great choice on the Bodum Chambord. That was my first venture into coffee geekdom :)

The standard coffee:water ration I use is 60g coffee per 1L of water. If you have a scale that measures by .1g, that would be very helpful for you. Tablespoons can be different amounts of coffee each time depending on coarseness. It's good you're grinding fresh. Fresh roasted beans freshly ground is the #1 way to get the most flavor out of your coffee. Out of curiosity, what grinder are you using? I don't think any grinders under $150 could really do too coarse for french press, but I could be wrong about that. Bring your water to a boil and wait about 30 seconds. Your water will be around 203 degress, which is optimal. Pour your desired amount of water in and wait about one minute. After a minute, give the bloom and quick stir and put the top on the press. Wait three more minutes and then press. That's about a four minute brew time. For 180z of water, you should be using around 35g of coffee.

It sounds like you're on the right track. Get you water hotter, time your brew, and adjust coffee dosage according to taste.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 12:30pm
Subject: ...

hopeg

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 1:00pm

Thanks for the input! As I was reading the replies, I realized I had forgotten the stir step. I knew I was supposed to, I just forgot; that may have helped. I will try what you suggested. I am not sure of the model, but I'm using a cusinart grinder with a simple pulse button. I will try again with the steps given and see how it goes! I don't have a scale now, but was planning on buying one for another reason, but could use it for this also when I'm able to get one. Thanks again!
hopeg

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 1:07pm

Netphilosopher Said:

In my signature you'll find my recipe for Press Pot/French Press..

Posted April 4, 2013 link

Sorry, new here, but where is your signature....I'm not finding your recipe for french press?
hopeg

Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 6:38pm

Well, I came home and tried again. Followed the steps you suggested and it came out great! The hotter water and stirring definitely made a difference!  Thanks!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 4:59am
Subject: ...

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Machines > help with french...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240135908127)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+